Main Menu

CAP Photo ID

Started by SAR-EMT1, January 24, 2007, 02:34:46 PM

SAR-EMT1

I am aware that an old thread of the same title exists. I was just wondering if there has been any progress or changes made.

Personally I think the current photo ID shown - the new propsed one (not the old 19) loks JUST AS HIDEOUS AS THE 19! Its a library card... oh wait, my library card looks more like the CAC then this would. 
Let the Air Force give us something that looks close....please.
Along that note: were any of the ID cards proposed in the earlier submitted to NHQ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

It's a done deal & being distributed, Sorry. AF would not allow us to have CAC or CAC-looking cards. Which is unfortunate. I assume the issue is they don't want som retard CAP officer w/ a CAC looking card trying to sign out gear or some such thing.

Obviously I'd prefer AF do the credentialling of CAP under the contractor limited access format. It sucks to spend 15mins explaining what we have now.

MIKE

Well... Since I got my Auxie ID this past weekend, I don't really think I need to spend 4 bucks on the CAP one... Not to mention the CGAUX one was free.  ;D

Mike Johnston

DogCollar

Quote from: DNall on January 24, 2007, 04:04:09 PM
It's a done deal & being distributed, Sorry. AF would not allow us to have CAC or CAC-looking cards. Which is unfortunate. I assume the issue is they don't want som retard CAP officer w/ a CAC looking card trying to sign out gear or some such thing.

Obviously I'd prefer AF do the credentialling of CAP under the contractor limited access format. It sucks to spend 15mins explaining what we have now.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but would earnestly like to know...what's the advantage of having a CAP Photo ID?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: DogCollar on January 24, 2007, 04:41:31 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but would earnestly like to know...what's the advantage of having a CAP Photo ID?

Most of the times that I've needed to present my CAP membership card, I've been required to present some other form of recognized ID with my picture on it to supplement the card.
Mike Johnston

Al Sayre

Your wallet is $4.00 lighter and easier to carry ;D

Watch what happens when you go on base as a group and some people have the photo ID and others don't...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DogCollar

Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2007, 05:01:17 PM

Most of the times that I've needed to present my CAP membership card, I've been required to present some other form of recognized ID with my picture on it to supplement the card.

Potentially smart aleck question number two...when have you had to present your membership card other than CAP events?  I'm assuming that you don't have to follow up with a picture ID to CAP functions?

DNall

Well I don't have one actually, but let me give you an example. The toll road authority here lets military thru for free travelling for training & such. They issued a letter specifically stating that CAP is covered. Mostly they see the uniform & you sign. Sometimes they ask for ID & here comes a conversation. Same deal I snooping around an airport or marina in the middle of the night, security or citizens come up on me, here comes a long conversation about what the hell is CAP. I need to bust something out that creats instant credibility & verrifies my affiliation w/ the AF, otherwise it's 10-15mins more not doing a mission & explaining to people who may be armed or even pointing guns at me who I am & what I'm doing. I don't much like all that hassle myself.

Major_Chuck

In my civilian world job I am tasked to work in one of two hospital command centers.  We staff them with people from outside agencies.  Rather than issue them a hospital photo ID badge we have them wear their agencies photo ID, show that to the guard who matches it against a list of names and they gain entry.

Same premise when you are working on a flight line and someone wants to challenge you as to who you are and why you are there.  Photo ID.  

Much better than our library membership card and digging through wallet for photo ID.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

MIKE

Quote from: DogCollar on January 24, 2007, 05:19:38 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2007, 05:01:17 PM

Potentially smart aleck question number two...when have you had to present your membership card other than CAP events?  I'm assuming that you don't have to follow up with a picture ID to CAP functions?

When I want to get in the gate at military installations to either go to AAFES MCSS to buy uniforms or to attend CAP functions on base like SLS, TLC or CLC.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Potentially smart aleck question number two...when have you had to present your membership card other than CAP events?

Flight line at one of the big airports to find their stupid ELTs.

LtCol White

We beat this issue to death repeatedly on Portal. I even took the fantastic version that we came up with and sent it to NHQ would said "Looks great but no thanks. Its not a topic for discussion."
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Smokey

Even with the current photo ID card there are issues.......

A few months ago I went to an airshow at an AF base.  I was working the air show and wearing my green flight suit.  I also am a member of the aero club at this base and CAP liaison for a major base activity.

The civilian gate guard basically ignored my photo ID, pointed to my grade insignia (major) and accused me of impersonating a military officer.  He darn near drug me out of the car while loudly telling me about it being a federal offense, jail, etc. It took a few minutes to calm him down and after carefully pointing out, individually and slowly,  my rank, the USAF Aux wording, etc. he finally let me pass but not without a final dirty look.

At the airshow I mentioned the incident to the AF commander (Maj General) who I know from my dealing on base.  He had the Air Base Commander look into it and I was issued a Majcom ID card.  It's not a CAC but an "Identification Credential".   

But even that ID was confusing to a AF Security policeman at another base that I had to go on.....he had never seen it.....but he did recognize the CAP ID card!!!!     Go figure.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Hawk200

Quote from: Smokey on January 24, 2007, 06:17:49 PM
The civilian gate guard basically ignored my photo ID, pointed to my grade insignia (major) and accused me of impersonating a military officer.  He darn near drug me out of the car while loudly telling me about it being a federal offense, jail, etc. It took a few minutes to calm him down and after carefully pointing out, individually and slowly,  my rank, the USAF Aux wording, etc. he finally let me pass but not without a final dirty look.

An example of some of the riff raff that I've seen hired at military installations. The photo ID didn't mean anything to him anyway. Plus, once they tried to book you in on those charges, it would have come out pretty quick. Idiot probably would have been seriously chewed out for it, if not fired.

Pumbaa

Don't get me started about Riff Raff at bases!  I was at an Amry base (state withheld) Wentto the front entrance.  Was told the passenger in the back had to be on the yellow driver sheet.. uhh duhhh he is not a driver and he has already been cleared.. This dork was RUDE to say the least...

So we went to the back gate... checked the eloow paper and IDs.. Go right on ahead...

ugh and I was there for 3 weeks...

carnold1836

Every time I go to my squadron's meetings, we are stationed on Camp Mabry, Austin, TX. It is headquarters of All Texas Military Forces. Everytime I go on base I need my CAP card and a photo ID. Also our sister sqdn, Kittinger Senior Squadron, is located at the TxDOT Flight Services building. Security there is pretty tight since it is run by DPS and is responsible for all the state government aircraft used by state dignitaries.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

DNall

Not that this wasn't annoying before CAC, but since the effort to standardize that seems to be the only thing anyone recognizes, which in turn creates a bigger problem. Again, I don't so much think we have to havefull blown CAC cards, but CAC-looking cards would be a real help, best case being AF just do our credentialing on our dime.

DogCollar

As someone fairly new, this thread has helped me to understand the issue better.  Thanks.  By the way does CAC stand for?  And is there a published glossary of standard terms and abbreviations anywhere?  I'm afraid I'm not fluent in either Governmentese or Militarese languages! ;)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DogCollar on January 24, 2007, 08:02:01 PM
As someone fairly new, this thread has helped me to understand the issue better.  Thanks.  By the way does CAC stand for?  And is there a published glossary of standard terms and abbreviations anywhere?  I'm afraid I'm not fluent in either Governmentese or Militarese languages! ;)

Padre,

CAC - Common Access Card.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DogCollar

DNall

Thre's a bunch of guides, a standard DoD book somewhere. If you don't know something feel free to ask, or if you want you may find this extremely handy: http://searchmil.com/ Googles just .mil addresses

SAR-EMT1

So the card shown on National is for sure the final product?
Im not even going to talk about it..because it looks hideous, even less unofficial then the 19 did (for its time) .
I wont even bother getting it.  Though Im seriously considering sending a formal complaint to NHQ for not even considering the general memberships' thoughts on the thing.  Often it seems Maxwell doesnt give a darn for what anyone else thinks.    >:(
------------------------

That said....
I would ask if any CAP members have had success at getting a vehicle sticker for their POVs to make base visits easier...Every time I go to Scott AFB I might as well be strip searched.  :(
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Major_Chuck

The card prototype that was floated over on Portal a while back was superior looking when put next to this 'thing' that NHQ photoshopped. 

The only good thing about it was putting our photo on it.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 24, 2007, 10:07:01 PMThat said....
I would ask if any CAP members have had success at getting a vehicle sticker for their POVs to make base visits easier...Every time I go to Scott AFB I might as well be strip searched.  :(

Depends on the base. I have never tried to get one as a CAP member because I've always had a RealMilitary® sticker, but I know others who have, and they usually end up with something based on their CAP officer grade.

It is fun sometimes entering a military base wearing a CAP officer uniform, but with an enlisted sticker on my vehicle.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2007, 04:16:04 PM
Well... Since I got my Auxie ID this past weekend, I don't really think I need to spend 4 bucks on the CAP one... Not to mention the CGAUX one was free.  ;D

You bastige,  I haven't gotten mine in a year and a half.

But then again, being that I'm auxie-auggin for Sector Lake Michigan, I'm getting a CAC anyway.  :P

drcomm

Our squadron meetings are held at our local Air National Guard Base at the Tulsa airport.  The base will issue base access stickers for POV's to senior members.  According to the security forces folks at Tinker AFB, our local sticker is good to get us on there also (OK Wing HQ is located there). 

As for the photo ID's,  I am the only one in our squadron with a new photo ID and our base security folks keep asking me when everyone will have one.  They like the fact that they don't have to compair the name on a driver's license with the one on the  CAP ID.  One card, they like it.  The other gripe they have is that most cadets don't have a state issue photo ID.  The guard has no way to confirm who the cadet really is.  I told them not to hold their breath. Since we have to pay for these cards don't expect to see very many of them.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

JCJ

The AF security forces determined that the original design of the photo ID card (looked very much like a CAC) looked so much like a CAC that it would actually be a security threat.  The current cards are a vast improvement from what we've had before.  I think sooner rather than later you'll see them required for all, with a corresponding increase in membership dues.  If you re-up for three years, it works out to $1.33/yr.  The NB was unwilling to make them mandatory when they were first approved, but I believe eventually they will.  Universal use of this card will also require everyone to have an acceptable photo in e-services, which is a good thing but as of yet is nowhere close to being done.

The first generation cards had some problems.  The current ones are, IMHO, really quite good.  You must have your photo in a 150% vertical, 100% horizontal aspect ratio to make it look right.  If you send in a photo that is the same horizontally and vertically, the photo editing software will squash your head and make it look very narrow.

Strange that in the latest SOW, the AF retains approval authority over ID card design, but they have also declined to allow the cards to be funded from appropriated $.  That's why the $4 card fee.  They have to be self funding because the AF won't allow federal $ to pay for them.

I don't see us being issued CAC's in the forseeable future.  Too expensive (infrastructure as well as the cards) and too many complex issues with getting 60,000 people cleared, accounted for, etc.

MIKE

Quote from: tedda on January 25, 2007, 12:44:00 AM
You bastige,  I haven't gotten mine in a year and a half.

I had the photo done at District Confrence on the 6th... And I got it in the mail on the 20th... I think it's a newer one too.   It looks a little different than others I've seen.

Quote from: tedda on January 25, 2007, 12:44:00 AM
But then again, being that I'm auxie-auggin for Sector Lake Michigan, I'm getting a CAC anyway.  :P
8)
Mike Johnston

Fifinella

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 24, 2007, 10:07:01 PM

The AF is discontinuing base stickers.  Rationale: IDs being checked at entry regardless.  (I think someone saw a way to save the AF a few bucks...).  My family no longer has stickers on our POVs. FWIW
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

DNall

I understand the AF's position on it looking TOO much like a CAC, but CAP members are supposed to have access & need to be part of any effort to have a common ID format. The get CAC to every guard & reserve member. It's not that much infrastuctue, and our people should be cleared as part of the application process, just like CGAux is. It's an annoyance that ought to be fixed, but there's other things to worry about.

The card shown by HQ is the deal. It's better than nothing, mostly cause it has your picture & doesn't look like oyu did it in your basement. Deal with it & move on. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the future.

Dragoon

One reason we don't get DoD IDs is that DoD has very little control over our conduct.  It's not just about background checks or clearances (not every contractor gets much of a background check), it's about control.

They can fire a contractor or DoD civilian.
They can put a servicemember in jail.

But they really can't do much to an individual CAP member. They don't decide who gets in, or who stays in, or get promoted or anything.  Effectively, we're wild cards.  Part time auxiliary and all that.  Complete USAF control might get us CAC cards.

SAR-EMT1

What does having a CGAux ID do for us dual members in respect to CAP ?
Are you saying that if you are doing a ramp check for CAP in CAP BDUs that you'd whip out your CG ID?  or just that the CG ID is useful for base entry?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

MIKE

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2007, 12:23:01 AM

Are you saying that if you are doing a ramp check for CAP in CAP BDUs that you'd whip out your CG ID?  or just that the CG ID is useful for base entry?

Base entry is about it.   I don't need to spend 4 bucks on an optional CAP photo ID, when my membership card and MA ID works just as well for CAP purposes.
Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: MIKE on January 26, 2007, 12:54:06 AM

Base entry is about it.   I don't need to spend 4 bucks on an optional CAP photo ID, when my membership card and MA ID works just as well for CAP purposes.

But what kind of reception do you get when you pull out a CGAux ID while wearing a CAP uniform?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

MajorSER

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2007, 03:35:34 AM
Quote from: MIKE on January 26, 2007, 12:54:06 AM

But what kind of reception do you get when you pull out a CGAux ID while wearing a CAP uniform?

They have to salute him twice!

Tags - MIKE
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Я был там как солдатом

MIKE

I'm not using my CGAux ID for CAP purposes, different uniform, different ID... Well, possibly if I was on the Cape for encampment and wanted to pick up some snacks at CGEX.   ;D
Mike Johnston

Slim

Quote from: MIKE on January 26, 2007, 03:50:03 AM

I'm not using my CGAux ID for CAP purposes, different uniform, different ID... Well, possibly if I was on the Cape for encampment and wanted to pick up some snacks at CGEX.   ;D

Tsk tsk tsk.....

Mike, I can't believe you opened up that can of worms.    ;D

Slim

Nick

Oh I love when this subject keeps coming up! :)

I respect that the AF and/or DoD may have been the ones to put a halt to a CAC-ish looking ID card, but let's talk about the new HSPD-12 mandated/FIPS 201 compliant government credentialing program ...

Here's a sample of a FIPS 201 compliant ID:

Looks a lot like a CAC, doesn't it? :)  Maybe the rest of the Government just liked the CAC so much they took the design for their own, or maybe the CAC is, in actuality, designed to a larger Government standard.  Either way, it is now a Federal standard, not a DoD one. 

Let's talk about CAP -- A memorandum from the Director of OMB in August 2005 established "government corporations" are encouraged but not required to implement HSPD-12.  FIPS 201 permits individual entities to create their IDs however they wish so long as they meet standards

So, I say let CAP implement their own ID ... they don't need CAC cards, but adhering to FIPS 201 allows for the simple purposes of interoperability and acceptance among other Federal entities.  IOW, if CAP is going to play with the big boys, act like the big boys.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mclarty on January 28, 2007, 06:38:05 AM

I respect that the AF and/or DoD may have been the ones to put a halt to a CAC-ish looking ID card, but let's talk about the new HSPD-12 mandated/FIPS 201 compliant government credentialing program ...

Looks a lot like a CAC, doesn't it? :)  Maybe the rest of the Government just liked the CAC so much they took the design for their own, or maybe the CAC is, in actuality, designed to a larger Government standard.  Either way, it is now a Federal standard, not a DoD one. 
So, I say let CAP implement their own ID ... they don't need CAC cards, but adhering to FIPS 201 allows for the simple purposes of interoperability and acceptance among other Federal entities.  IOW, if CAP is going to play with the big boys, act like the big boys.

< appluads >   Sir, I could not have said it better.
I just have two beefs with this CAP photo id thing, well two and a half:
1) Genuine Issue Look: An ID that looks like it wasnt mass produced on my printer at home
2) An ID that is easily recognized and accepted as a CAP photo ID by the AF - thus making base entry easier
2.5) A card that doesnt look like a library card. ... See #1
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

DNall

Quote from: mclarty on January 28, 2007, 06:38:05 AM

Let's talk about CAP -- A memorandum from the Director of OMB in August 2005 established "government corporations" are encouraged but not required to implement HSPD-12.  FIPS 201 permits individual entities to create their IDs however they wish so long as they meet standards

Absolutely. I think I'd go back to AF w/ this OMB statement & ask what we have to do to achieve a reasonable degree of interoperability w/o being a security risk, and/or what we can do to reduce the security threat by better checking CAP members (carries additional benefits from cadet protection to more secure mission taskings). I don't have a problem with a card that's VERY VERY obviously not the AF, but that adheres to the format in a recognizable way so people that never heard of CAP can tell we actually have some legitimate official capacity. The currently issued photo ID doesn't do that & causes more problems than it's worth.

DrJbdm

You know, I would bet that the Air Force probably wouldn't have too much of a problem with us having CAC cards if we would be a bit more in-line with the USAF and we actually acted like we where the US Air Force Aux, Heck even AF contractors get CAC cards.  Lets face it guys, we have as a whole refused to be AF in nature, we have refused to have any resemblance of standards in our personnel, we have refused to grow past the point of what we used to do and to grow into our full potential. We now we want others to play by our rules. We in short have done this to ourselves; We are in some ways our own worst enemy. No we are not the AF but we ARE a part of the AF.

Look at the facts,  there are no Air Force study groups out there (that I know of) figuring out how we as CAP can integrate better into the AF and do some of the missions and jobs that they have to get done. The AF doesn't seem to know what to do with us and we don't seem to know what to do with us either.

There's a real simple fix for this problem, we have to CHANGE OUR IMAGE!! and I don't mean just a small cosmetic change, I mean a real change in look, feel and attitude and a change in direction. If we don't change then eventually we may cease to exist. Guys don't get me wrong, I'm very loyal to CAP but it's time we spoke up about what is wrong with us and start fixing it. If we are in fact the REAL U.S. Air Force Aux (part time or otherwise) then we need to start acting like it and start having standards like it. I want to see CAP become a real player for the AF. I want the AF to be genuinely proud of us. Sure they say nice things now about us when speaking in public, but it's what they may be saying in private that has me worried, that's where the real work is done and the real decisions are made regarding our future. Let's help them help us. We can't make it w/o Air Force; let's make them realize they can't make it w/o us.

Let's stop acting like a Boy Scout group with airplanes and let's start acting like a REAL Federal Agency that has been congressionally commissioned or chartered as the U.S. Air Force Aux. If we start holding ourselves to that standard the rest of it will fall into line, consequently once we have a vision and start changing our image you will also see our recruitment/retention problem fall away. Everyone wants to be a part of something big, something that's going places.

I have a great love for CAP; I have been a part of this organization off and on since the early 80's as a young cadet. I know what we are capable of, we all know what we are capable of, we just have to stop waiting for someone to change us and start making those changes ourselves.

That's just my $0.02 worth. I'm staying in CAP regardless, and I will continue to be the best CAP Officer I can be.

afgeo4

Well put Lt!

As for right now... am I the only one who's having issues with having a properly formatted photo? I can't seem to get my pic to the right size/filesize for it to be accepted. Can anyone help? This is a major issue with requiring photo ID's from all members. Unless NHQ wants to purchase us simple to use special cameras and software, we can't expect our members to present properly formatted digital photos.
GEORGE LURYE

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2007, 11:31:41 PM
Well put Lt!

As for right now... am I the only one who's having issues with having a properly formatted photo? I can't seem to get my pic to the right size/filesize for it to be accepted. Can anyone help? This is a major issue with requiring photo ID's from all members. Unless NHQ wants to purchase us simple to use special cameras and software, we can't expect our members to present properly formatted digital photos.

I've run into the same thing, even with pics taken for my municipal ID.

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

DrJbdm

Yeah my photo looks pretty messed up too.

JCJ

The key to the photo is to crop it to what you want and make sure it is in a 1 1/2 (height) to 1 (width) proportion.  The specs call for approx 1 1/2 inch high by 1 inch width and 30 kb - but if you send in a pic that is a larger file size but otherwise OK (and in the 1 1/2 height by 1 width proportion) the software will condense it down to photo ID size.

Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.capchannel.com/id_card_guide

If you send one that has equal height and width the system will compress it to fit the 1 1/2 inch height by 1 inch width specification - thereby squashing the photo in from the sides and making your head appear abnormally narrow.

If you follow the specs exactly, it comes out fine.

Pumbaa

Same here.  I used my photoshop cropping tool to match the specs. (1 x 1.5) Got my ID back and it was hosed royally.  They pulled the perspective so I look much wider.  Sheesh...

I think to get it right the actual specs are 1 x 1.333, if you look at your uploaded image and put it in a photoediting program you will see these ratios.

Since my membership needs to be renewed in a couple of months I will retake and resend an image based on my determination of proper ratio.

Oh yeah the new command Comm logo bites the big one ;)

SAR-EMT1

Pylon posted this sample in last years ID thread. I thought that Sample #1 was pretty good and bore revisiting. I think something like this would definitely work if we can get our act together enough for the AF to approve it.

So what can we, as a forum and as individuals begin to do RIGHT NOW to start down the path to a better ID and a better image?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

afgeo4

Our image should be a different thread. I think the problems with photos on our ID cards is a HUGE one. It's another failure at NHQ level and this time it comes at our direct expense. I have not and will not submit a photo until I KNOW it will come out perfect (I've already paid the $4).
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 29, 2007, 03:49:42 AM
Our image should be a different thread. I think the problems with photos on our ID cards is a HUGE one. It's another failure at NHQ level and this time it comes at our direct expense. I have not and will not submit a photo until I KNOW it will come out perfect (I've already paid the $4).

I submitted a photo, paid my $4 and it came out fine... it was just the rest of the ID card that looked like [mess].  But they assure me they've fixed that now (though they don't plan on replacing the defective crappy IDs people paid for before they fixed all the problems).  I just renewed and so slapped another $4 gamble on the table to see if they did any better this round.

I've given up hope for a professional ID from NHQ.  They have more important things to do like coordinating the surprise release of some new uniform concoction before the next NB or whatever.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2007, 11:31:41 PM
Well put Lt!

Sure we can. Take a digital photo, bring it into any decent photo editing program, and crop (not resize) to 1" x 1.5". I do all mine in Photoshop, but there are other much cheaper applications out there capable of doing exactly the same thing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mikeylikey

On the whole ID Card thing, I keep laughing everytime I go to buy a coffee on base and see the servers behind the counter wearing their CAC cards, (guess they are contractors), discussing what "bad" stuff they did the night before.  Big Blue trusts crackheads with a legitimate ID Card, but CAP members will never get one!  It blows my mind everytime I think about it. 

Lets pull our collective CAP heads out of the ground at the top and begin working with CAP-USAF, not just "filling" them in on minor issues of the force.  I hope AF comes in hard and comes in fast to get this organization moving in an upward and very productive direction.
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Would it just help if we replace the national staff with current / prior service members?  Or if we click our heels together 3 times?
I would seriously be willing to write a letter to my congressmen, and even to my AF/CAP state director. But I dont want to get hammered for doing it.

To be honest Im not sure what I would say. How does one formally plead for our organizational HQ to get its act together to a congressman?

And would it be wrong to include a copy of a sample - like the one of pylons I put up, and say: "here sir, this is what we could really use. However, our corporate masters have stuck us with this: show current card. Please intercede with the Air Force on our behalf and get us a better more official photo identification card"  ???
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SAR-EMT1

Please understand that I don't mean to insult the staff at maxwell, or anything like that. I am merely frustrated at what I perceive to be easily correctable mistakes / flaws / problems.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

mikeylikey

Just remember they are WELL PAID at Maxwell.  Bugs in the card should never had happened.  If it were any other organization, those individuals would have been fired.  I am very curious to see what Cards Maxwell is giving our Paid Staffers.  I bet it looks better than what they tried to give us. 

I am also curious to know they real activities at CAPNHQ.  I am sure they day begins with an hour coffee chit-chat session, followed by email for 2 hours, then a light lunch at the AAFES PX/BX Burger King, followed by a light walk on the trail outside the main gym for an hour.  Then the usual half an hour shower, followed by the ONE (1) afternoon meeting back at HQ.  Then to finish the day up we need another coffee break, or social visit to CAP-USAF Friends.  Clock out by 1630 and we have successfully completed another day at CAP HQ! 

I have visited Maxwell, met with folks, and the days seem pretty laid back.  Lets get them working on rewriting the regs, getting a half decent PAO office setup, finding us more federal assets and technology and moving toward if anything a vision.

Final Question, what the heck does the Executive Director really do all day at CAPNHQ?  Answere that and you win a gold star.  PEACE
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 29, 2007, 10:21:04 AM
Just remember they are WELL PAID at Maxwell.  Bugs in the card should never had happened.  If it were any other organization, those individuals would have been fired.  I am very curious to see what Cards Maxwell is giving our Paid Staffers.  I bet it looks better than what they tried to give us. 

I am also curious to know they real activities at CAPNHQ.  I am sure they day begins with an hour coffee chit-chat session, followed by email for 2 hours, then a light lunch at the AAFES PX/BX Burger King, followed by a light walk on the trail outside the main gym for an hour.  Then the usual half an hour shower, followed by the ONE (1) afternoon meeting back at HQ.  Then to finish the day up we need another coffee break, or social visit to CAP-USAF Friends.  Clock out by 1630 and we have successfully completed another day at CAP HQ! 

I have visited Maxwell, met with folks, and the days seem pretty laid back.  Lets get them working on rewriting the regs, getting a half decent PAO office setup, finding us more federal assets and technology and moving toward if anything a vision.

Final Question, what the heck does the Executive Director really do all day at CAPNHQ?  Answere that and you win a gold star.  PEACE

< BLINKS  > 
   Sir... you ARE a RLO,  if you did this would you not be dishonorably discharged? I find it hard to believe they really do as you have described.

However I reiterate: why do we not have RLO / NCOs serving at NHQ? (and I dont mean the USAF/CAP side of the house)

I wonder what an average day on the USAF side of the house is.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

DeputyDog

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 29, 2007, 10:21:04 AM

The problem with having the staff at NHQ rewrite the regulations is that they cannot do that. They are not a "policy center". They are only an "administrative center". If you want the regulations rewritten, that has to come through the National Board or the NEC.

I agree with you on the PAO stuff at NHQ. I am not too terribly impressed with the setup there.

I have visited NHQ as well. The Executive Director manages the daily operations of the NHQ and its staff (meaning the corporate employees).

DNall

Actually NHQ paid staff is charged w/ staff supporting NB & that includes writing regs for approval based on guidance assigned to them by NB, Exec Dir, Nat CC, or any other plank holding national officer. NB if you recall specifically authorized changes to the way regs are approved & are now working toward a process where they just approve the concept, staff writes it & it goes into effect w/o coming back in front of them for second approval. It already can work the other way w/ staff writing something then having it finally approved the first time NB hears it.

gallagheria

Well, I am in the Georgia State Defense Force so we are issued Georgia Department of Defense ID's. They look almost identical to the old green Army ID's before the switchover. I can guarantee you most guards have no idea what these are but waive us on base anyway. I used to work for AAFES when I was in college and had never seen them.

Back to the issue with the current ID's, the argument of security makes no sense. civilian DOD workers and even contractors are issued the new ones. During a recent exercise, my unit was participating in the SER06EX exercise and I was manning a gate. All personnel, uniformed or not, were required to show military ID and they had a special pass.  In comes a car driven by a colonel. I request ID's and guess who doesn't have theirs? The passenger: Maj. Gen. Hammond, commander of the Georgia Air National Guard. The colonel was as hesitant and nervous as could be getting his out while knowing the general didn't have his. What can I say? I let it slide.

Eclipse

I got mine yesterday, it looks fine.

A darn site better than the Form 19's we had before, and plenty professional.

The only issue I have is the seal, which someone needs to fill in to be white.

Since the DOD is moving to a different format for the CAC as well, who cares?

FAIMO...

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

Quote from: gallagheria on February 07, 2007, 09:02:34 PM
Well, I am in the Georgia State Defense Force so we are issued Georgia Department of Defense ID's. They look almost identical to the old green Army ID's before the switchover. I can guarantee you most guards have no idea what these are but waive us on base anyway. I used to work for AAFES when I was in college and had never seen them.

Back to the issue with the current ID's, the argument of security makes no sense. civilian DOD workers and even contractors are issued the new ones. During a recent exercise, my unit was participating in the SER06EX exercise and I was manning a gate. All personnel, uniformed or not, were required to show military ID and they had a special pass.  In comes a car driven by a colonel. I request ID's and guess who doesn't have theirs? The passenger: Maj. Gen. Hammond, commander of the Georgia Air National Guard. The colonel was as hesitant and nervous as could be getting his out while knowing the general didn't have his. What can I say? I let it slide.
Odd situation. Technically he could have been testing you or rather the base commander.
GEORGE LURYE

Eclipse

Quote from: gallagheria on February 07, 2007, 09:02:34 PM...In comes a car driven by a colonel. I request ID's and guess who doesn't have theirs? The passenger: Maj. Gen. Hammond, commander of the Georgia Air National Guard. The colonel was as hesitant and nervous as could be getting his out while knowing the general didn't have his. What can I say? I let it slide...

Hammond's running the GAANG now?  I thought he retired after he ran Homeworld Security for a while?

He must have lost a star when he transferred to the Guard.

...or maybe there's a gate in Georgia?

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

the state guard commander is usually a LTG so his deputies ae: NG/CC AG/CC are going to be MGs ... right?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

gallagheria

QuoteHammond's running the GAANG now?  I thought he retired after he ran Homeworld Security for a while?

Not sure. I read his biography after reading this and I don't see anything on there about that. Seems like it might be a different Hammond than who you are thinking of: http://www.dod.state.ga.us/bios/bios.html .

As for the rank structure of most state guards, not sure about all states because our TAG was recently promoted lasted year and he has been in office for years now.

Our TAG is LTG, and the Georgia DOD is composed of three branches: the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, and State Defense Force. The ARNG commander is MG, the ANG commander is MG, and the SDF commander is BG.

Eclipse

Quote from: gallagheria on February 08, 2007, 12:42:45 PM
QuoteHammond's running the GAANG now?  I thought he retired after he ran Homeworld Security for a while?

Not sure. I read his biography after reading this and I don't see anything on there about that. Seems like it might be a different Hammond than who you are thinking of: http://www.dod.state.ga.us/bios/bios.html .

As for the rank structure of most state guards, not sure about all states because our TAG was recently promoted lasted year and he has been in office for years now.

Our TAG is LTG, and the Georgia DOD is composed of three branches: the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, and State Defense Force. The ARNG commander is MG, the ANG commander is MG, and the SDF commander is BG.

Um...yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hammond

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

NYS Adjutant General is a MajGen and his assistant is a BrigGen. He also runs the ArNG, ANG, and NY Guard (Army Div and Air Batt)
GEORGE LURYE

DNall

We've had LtGen & two MG AAGs (ARNG & ANG), then BG at AAG-HLS & a BG at State Guard. I think that's how it is now. Not so long ago it was MG (held by LtGen James) at TAG & Col promoted mid-AAD-Air term & we hadn't changed force size really with the ANG in that time. It's mostly all state commissions anyway, as if it wasn't already confusing enough.