Main Menu

CAP Photo ID

Started by SAR-EMT1, January 24, 2007, 02:34:46 PM

SAR-EMT1

I am aware that an old thread of the same title exists. I was just wondering if there has been any progress or changes made.

Personally I think the current photo ID shown - the new propsed one (not the old 19) loks JUST AS HIDEOUS AS THE 19! Its a library card... oh wait, my library card looks more like the CAC then this would. 
Let the Air Force give us something that looks close....please.
Along that note: were any of the ID cards proposed in the earlier submitted to NHQ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

It's a done deal & being distributed, Sorry. AF would not allow us to have CAC or CAC-looking cards. Which is unfortunate. I assume the issue is they don't want som retard CAP officer w/ a CAC looking card trying to sign out gear or some such thing.

Obviously I'd prefer AF do the credentialling of CAP under the contractor limited access format. It sucks to spend 15mins explaining what we have now.

MIKE

Well... Since I got my Auxie ID this past weekend, I don't really think I need to spend 4 bucks on the CAP one... Not to mention the CGAUX one was free.  ;D

Mike Johnston

DogCollar

Quote from: DNall on January 24, 2007, 04:04:09 PM
It's a done deal & being distributed, Sorry. AF would not allow us to have CAC or CAC-looking cards. Which is unfortunate. I assume the issue is they don't want som retard CAP officer w/ a CAC looking card trying to sign out gear or some such thing.

Obviously I'd prefer AF do the credentialling of CAP under the contractor limited access format. It sucks to spend 15mins explaining what we have now.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but would earnestly like to know...what's the advantage of having a CAP Photo ID?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: DogCollar on January 24, 2007, 04:41:31 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but would earnestly like to know...what's the advantage of having a CAP Photo ID?

Most of the times that I've needed to present my CAP membership card, I've been required to present some other form of recognized ID with my picture on it to supplement the card.
Mike Johnston

Al Sayre

Your wallet is $4.00 lighter and easier to carry ;D

Watch what happens when you go on base as a group and some people have the photo ID and others don't...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DogCollar

Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2007, 05:01:17 PM

Most of the times that I've needed to present my CAP membership card, I've been required to present some other form of recognized ID with my picture on it to supplement the card.

Potentially smart aleck question number two...when have you had to present your membership card other than CAP events?  I'm assuming that you don't have to follow up with a picture ID to CAP functions?

DNall

Well I don't have one actually, but let me give you an example. The toll road authority here lets military thru for free travelling for training & such. They issued a letter specifically stating that CAP is covered. Mostly they see the uniform & you sign. Sometimes they ask for ID & here comes a conversation. Same deal I snooping around an airport or marina in the middle of the night, security or citizens come up on me, here comes a long conversation about what the hell is CAP. I need to bust something out that creats instant credibility & verrifies my affiliation w/ the AF, otherwise it's 10-15mins more not doing a mission & explaining to people who may be armed or even pointing guns at me who I am & what I'm doing. I don't much like all that hassle myself.

Major_Chuck

In my civilian world job I am tasked to work in one of two hospital command centers.  We staff them with people from outside agencies.  Rather than issue them a hospital photo ID badge we have them wear their agencies photo ID, show that to the guard who matches it against a list of names and they gain entry.

Same premise when you are working on a flight line and someone wants to challenge you as to who you are and why you are there.  Photo ID.  

Much better than our library membership card and digging through wallet for photo ID.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

MIKE

Quote from: DogCollar on January 24, 2007, 05:19:38 PM
Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2007, 05:01:17 PM

Potentially smart aleck question number two...when have you had to present your membership card other than CAP events?  I'm assuming that you don't have to follow up with a picture ID to CAP functions?

When I want to get in the gate at military installations to either go to AAFES MCSS to buy uniforms or to attend CAP functions on base like SLS, TLC or CLC.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Potentially smart aleck question number two...when have you had to present your membership card other than CAP events?

Flight line at one of the big airports to find their stupid ELTs.

LtCol White

We beat this issue to death repeatedly on Portal. I even took the fantastic version that we came up with and sent it to NHQ would said "Looks great but no thanks. Its not a topic for discussion."
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Smokey

Even with the current photo ID card there are issues.......

A few months ago I went to an airshow at an AF base.  I was working the air show and wearing my green flight suit.  I also am a member of the aero club at this base and CAP liaison for a major base activity.

The civilian gate guard basically ignored my photo ID, pointed to my grade insignia (major) and accused me of impersonating a military officer.  He darn near drug me out of the car while loudly telling me about it being a federal offense, jail, etc. It took a few minutes to calm him down and after carefully pointing out, individually and slowly,  my rank, the USAF Aux wording, etc. he finally let me pass but not without a final dirty look.

At the airshow I mentioned the incident to the AF commander (Maj General) who I know from my dealing on base.  He had the Air Base Commander look into it and I was issued a Majcom ID card.  It's not a CAC but an "Identification Credential".   

But even that ID was confusing to a AF Security policeman at another base that I had to go on.....he had never seen it.....but he did recognize the CAP ID card!!!!     Go figure.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Hawk200

Quote from: Smokey on January 24, 2007, 06:17:49 PM
The civilian gate guard basically ignored my photo ID, pointed to my grade insignia (major) and accused me of impersonating a military officer.  He darn near drug me out of the car while loudly telling me about it being a federal offense, jail, etc. It took a few minutes to calm him down and after carefully pointing out, individually and slowly,  my rank, the USAF Aux wording, etc. he finally let me pass but not without a final dirty look.

An example of some of the riff raff that I've seen hired at military installations. The photo ID didn't mean anything to him anyway. Plus, once they tried to book you in on those charges, it would have come out pretty quick. Idiot probably would have been seriously chewed out for it, if not fired.

Pumbaa

Don't get me started about Riff Raff at bases!  I was at an Amry base (state withheld) Wentto the front entrance.  Was told the passenger in the back had to be on the yellow driver sheet.. uhh duhhh he is not a driver and he has already been cleared.. This dork was RUDE to say the least...

So we went to the back gate... checked the eloow paper and IDs.. Go right on ahead...

ugh and I was there for 3 weeks...

carnold1836

Every time I go to my squadron's meetings, we are stationed on Camp Mabry, Austin, TX. It is headquarters of All Texas Military Forces. Everytime I go on base I need my CAP card and a photo ID. Also our sister sqdn, Kittinger Senior Squadron, is located at the TxDOT Flight Services building. Security there is pretty tight since it is run by DPS and is responsible for all the state government aircraft used by state dignitaries.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

DNall

Not that this wasn't annoying before CAC, but since the effort to standardize that seems to be the only thing anyone recognizes, which in turn creates a bigger problem. Again, I don't so much think we have to havefull blown CAC cards, but CAC-looking cards would be a real help, best case being AF just do our credentialing on our dime.

DogCollar

As someone fairly new, this thread has helped me to understand the issue better.  Thanks.  By the way does CAC stand for?  And is there a published glossary of standard terms and abbreviations anywhere?  I'm afraid I'm not fluent in either Governmentese or Militarese languages! ;)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DogCollar on January 24, 2007, 08:02:01 PM
As someone fairly new, this thread has helped me to understand the issue better.  Thanks.  By the way does CAC stand for?  And is there a published glossary of standard terms and abbreviations anywhere?  I'm afraid I'm not fluent in either Governmentese or Militarese languages! ;)

Padre,

CAC - Common Access Card.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DogCollar