How many people have received a CAP decoration?

Started by Hawk200, January 22, 2007, 06:14:26 PM

How many people have received a CAP decoration within your first five years?

Yes, I have
32 (68.1%)
No, I have not
15 (31.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: February 01, 2007, 06:14:26 PM

Hawk200

I'm wondering about the decorations such as Medals of Valor (Silver, Bronze), Distinguished Service Medal, Exceptional Service, Meritorious Service, Commanders Commendation, or Lifesaving Award.

How many people here have received one within your first five years of CAP service?

I know these don't get written up for people a lot, but I'm wondering how many people have them within that timeframe. Maybe we ought to encourage more awards of the above listed decorations, awarding people more often for jobs well done.

SAR-EMT1

Is it not the general consensus that if you are a Squadron or Group flunkie you havent an icebergs chance in hell...whereas at Wing and above they come as party favors at any function requiring mess dress?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

I mean, Im an emt and have saved life - both on and off duty. But while the off duty saves would count, Im not going to apply for anything. Im not a hero.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Major_Chuck

My first CAP Award (other than our training doodads) came in 2002, long after I joined in 1990.  Yes I was on Wing Staff at the time.  Since then I've received five for various work on the wing and region levels.

A side note:  When I was on Wing and Region Promotion Boards we did move a lot of awards for squadron level folks through the system.  One reason, I remembered what it was like NOT to be recognized.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 22, 2007, 06:17:52 PM
Is it not the general consensus that if you are a Squadron or Group flunkie you havent an icebergs chance in hell...whereas at Wing and above they come as party favors at any function requiring mess dress?

That's what I'm hoping to glean from this poll. I've done a few Cadet Training Weekends, and got Commanders Comm's for that. But I didn't just attend as a senior, I did a good bit of prior planning, and worked with the locations to use.

I just think that we shouldn't be so stingy with decs. And we need to get away from the concensus that only wing folks should get them. There shouldn't be a free-for-all on them, but we could stand to loosen up a little.

I do think that a good part of it might be that people either are unaware of how to submit decs, or else they just don't think to put someone in for one. Considering our volunteer nature, these are the only recognition we get.

Pylon

10+ years, haven't gotten one yet.

But then again, I've only been squadron and group staff and not at Wing.  Unless you count serving as staff at 4 encampments, but that's not really the same thing.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

The Unit Citation Award is classed as a decoration by CAPR 39-3.  NER earned one for 9-11 which I rate.  Was actually a  member during the cited dates.  :P

Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

Party favors.... and I am a Senior Personnel / Admin Officer. Its like beating your head into the wall until you get tired of the squishy sound.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on January 22, 2007, 06:33:47 PM
The Unit Citation Award is classed as a decoration by CAPR 39-3.  NER earned one for 9-11 which I rate.  Was actually a  member during the cited dates.  :P

Oh, if you count that Unit Citation, then yes.  I've got a "decoration".   :P   It means so much....

Dragoon

There's a good reason why you are more likely to get a Commander's Comm on Wing Staff.

Quite simply, our lowest level award is approved by the Wing Commander.  It's his/her award.  So, the accomplishment needs to be big enough to make a difference at the Wing level.

Wing Staffers (and group/squadron commanders) are in the best position to do stuff that matters at the Wing level.  Ditto folks who volunteer to run wing-wide special projects (like encampment, air shows etc).

And if you do decide to give out a Commander's Comm for, say, a really good squadron finance officer, what do you give to the really good Wing Finance Officer, who has a much more difficult job?  A Meritorious?  That has to go to Region, and therefore is really more of a Region-level award.

And, frankly, it's harder to get good Wing Staff than good Squadron Staff.  If you don't take care of 'em, they leave.  And then you're stuck with the "B Team" screwing things up for everyone.

I'm not sure that the way we give these out is a problem - but if folks think it is, the best answer is an lower level award that is approved at a lower level - perhaps a "Commander's Achievement Award" to mirror the Air Force Achievement Medal, given out by Group CCs.

Pylon

Quote from: Dragoon on January 22, 2007, 06:39:45 PM
And, frankly, it's harder to get good Wing Staff than good Squadron Staff.  If you don't take care of 'em, they leave.  And then you're stuck with the "B Team" screwing things up for everyone.

The same with squadron and group staff.  They can be very demanding jobs, especially in units with stretched personnel resources.  If you don't recognize them, you'll get the same result. 

Quote from: Dragoon on January 22, 2007, 06:39:45 PMI'm not sure that the way we give these out is a problem - but if folks think it is, the best answer is an lower level award that is approved at a lower level - perhaps a "Commander's Achievement Award" to mirror the Air Force Achievement Medal, given out by Group CCs.

This has been discussed before, and I think it is indeed time to examine our CAP Awards & Decs program.  Aligning it with the AF may not be a bad idea.  I think a "Commander's Achievement Award" (or whatever you want to call a decoration) which a Group CC can approve is an excellent idea.  There needs to be recognition for the hard workers below Wing level.  A certificate is not acceptable in a lot of circumstances, but when a Wing Awards & Decs committee consistently returns your CAPF 120s, a squadron doesn't have much more to offer its "above n' beyond" workers than a pat on the back and a stock paper certificate.

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on January 22, 2007, 06:33:47 PM

True, but I'm looking at the more personal awards. Something that has to be written up for the individual, not that everyone in the unit gets.

The Unit Citation is also a point of contention for me. I've seen cadets that have been in six months wearing Unit Citations with three or four bronze clusters, or a silver and a couple bronze. I think that the reg needs to be clarified to "in the unit for the time period covered for at least thirty days." There wouldn't be any questions then.

Hawk200

Quote from: Dragoon on January 22, 2007, 06:39:45 PM
And if you do decide to give out a Commander's Comm for, say, a really good squadron finance officer, what do you give to the really good Wing Finance Officer, who has a much more difficult job?  A Meritorious?  That has to go to Region, and therefore is really more of a Region-level award.

That would make it fairly consistent. The next higher command would approve the award. It would be recognizing accomplishments, and people usually react well to being recognized.

QuoteAnd, frankly, it's harder to get good Wing Staff than good Squadron Staff.  If you don't take care of 'em, they leave.  And then you're stuck with the "B Team" screwing things up for everyone.

The same is true at squadrons. If people don't get kudos now and then, they leave. Recognition can go a long way.

QuoteI'm not sure that the way we give these out is a problem - but if folks think it is, the best answer is an lower level award that is approved at a lower level - perhaps a "Commander's Achievement Award" to mirror the Air Force Achievement Medal, given out by Group CCs.

That would do it from what I've seen.

arajca

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 22, 2007, 06:59:47 PM
The Unit Citation is also a point of contention for me. I've seen cadets that have been in six months wearing Unit Citations with three or four bronze clusters, or a silver and a couple bronze. I think that the reg needs to be clarified to "in the unit for the time period covered for at least thirty days." There wouldn't be any questions then.
Shouldn't be happening. The reg states you must have been a member of the unit during the time frame the UC was awarded for. If you join the unit after that time frame, you cannot wear the award. CAP does not follow Army tradition/regs on unit awards.

DNall

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 22, 2007, 06:25:33 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 22, 2007, 06:17:52 PM

That's what I'm hoping to glean from this poll. I've done a few Cadet Training Weekends, and got Commanders Comm's for that. But I didn't just attend as a senior, I did a good bit of prior planning, and worked with the locations to use.

I just think that we shouldn't be so stingy with decs. And we need to get away from the concensus that only wing folks should get them. There shouldn't be a free-for-all on them, but we could stand to loosen up a little.

I do think that a good part of it might be that people either are unaware of how to submit decs, or else they just don't think to put someone in for one. Considering our volunteer nature, these are the only recognition we get.
My dad got a lifesaving award a couple years in. I got a Commanders Commendation that I refuse to wear as it was literally for playing gopher at an SMC. Then again I've done many multi-Sq & group level events just like the above that I think I should have gotten something for, but that Gp CC didn't like me much so no joy.

I've heard repeatedly that a CAP Achievement Award (level under CC's Comm) is in the works, which parallels the AF very nicely. I think that'd be a great help. For instance, I was just putting people in for year end stuff here a while back. Got a safety/AEO working his butt off under tough conditions, but he's not remotely getting Safety or AE officer of the year, and nothing worthy of a comcom. So he get's no official at-a-boy.

Hawk200

Quote from: arajca on January 22, 2007, 07:13:01 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on January 22, 2007, 06:59:47 PM
Shouldn't be happening. The reg states you must have been a member of the unit during the time frame the UC was awarded for. If you join the unit after that time frame, you cannot wear the award. CAP does not follow Army tradition/regs on unit awards.

I know it shouldn't be happening, but it is. People are handing cadets the ribbons with stuff on them, and telling them they get to wear it. I do know for a fact that they used allow wear if you were there after the UC was issued, but you had to remove it if you left that unit. I don't recall what the dates were on those pubs, I could go digging, but it's not really important. The current reg is all that matters.

As far as the Army tradition on UC's goes, I think the Army  ought to change too. Why should I have to go buy a unit award to wear that may have been awarded  twenty years ago? Not like I made any contribution to that unit or its mission at that time. Sorry, it's a rant.

James Shaw

The Squadron Commander is the approving authority for the Commanders Commendation. A majority of the time (98%) they were approved. I did have one occasion that was rejected because the person had received one a month earlier for organizing a very large Level 1/SLS/CLC/ROA training weekend and fell within the inclusive dates of what I had put down. It was submitted by one of the attending Wing members.

They also have other forms of recognition such as the Certificate of Appreciation, it may not be a CC or other but it is a way to recognize. I was once told some "unofficial' opinion about awards from a local awards board member.

If you have a member who has never received a recognition award then nominated them for a Commanders Commendation.

If you know someone has been awarded 3-8 CC's than look at the criteria and try for a Meritorious and "take your chance".

If you know someone has been awarded a couple of Meritorious than shoot for the Exceptional and "take your" chance.

The Distinguished is another animal. They watch them closer because they have to be approved by the board.

I had a standard format for my CC's when I was a Squadron Commander and only had 1 turned down out of a couple dozen submitted. I even had 1 that was changed to a Meritorious on the way up.

Rank nor position matter when making the recommendation for the award you can as a 2nd Lt. submit the F120 for a Major and so on.

It is very rare that anyone would get an Exceptional or Dist without earning many of the others. Most of the time outgoing Wing Commanders will get the Distinguished.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

DeputyDog

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 22, 2007, 06:14:26 PM
I'm wondering about the decorations such as Medals of Valor (Silver, Bronze), Distinguished Service Medal, Exceptional Service, Meritorious Service, Commanders Commendation, or Lifesaving Award.

How many people here have received one within your first five years of CAP service?

I know these don't get written up for people a lot, but I'm wondering how many people have them within that timeframe. Maybe we ought to encourage more awards of the above listed decorations, awarding people more often for jobs well done.

I have not. However, I did not do anything to rate any of those awards during my first five years. I didn't get my first Commander's Commendation until I had been in for 8 years, at which point I was awarded it on group staff.

James Shaw

In my job I deal a lot with Criteria related questions for awards and decorations. I am asked opinion related questions as to award nominations and justification of the awards and decorations. As one of the posts mentioned they had saved numerous lives both on and off duty. I would have to say that it is not bragging or self nomination but known fact of their efforts. My first Squadron Commander as a SM is the same Commander from when I was Cadet in the 80's. He gave me a bit of advice about awards when I joined his squadron when returning to CAP.

"The awards process is the PAY that CAP members receive. It is the only real way to recognize an individual who is volunteering their time and money to help me do my job as a Squadron Commander. I don't always have the time to fill out the paper work necessary for the form. I have my members write down the info or fill that part of the form out and send it to me. If I feel that it is justified than I will approve it and if I don't than I will tell you why. "

A suggestion that I gave me Squadron members was to keep track of everything they did for the calendar year that was CAP related. Everything from phone calls about their duties to any and all activities they participated in. The Squadron Commanders have a lot of other things to think about and may have a hard time keeping track of it all. I would have them send me a Year in Review Summary of their activities. If something stood out than I would ask for further details. With something like the lifesaving award it would more than likely be known by some member and should be recognized. SAVING A LIFE IS NEVER AN EVERYDAY OCCURRENCE FOR ANYONE WHETHER AN EMT OR NOT AND EACH ONE IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE OTHERS. However CAP will only allow the first one be awarded. This summary helps the Commander with dates and information and lets them know that you care about what you are doing and may help to trigger the recognition process.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

mawr

I'm proud to have recieved numous Commanders Commendations and yes, they have all come while serving on Wing Staff.  I recieved a Meritorious Award for work that I did during Katrina recovery.

But one of my favorite awards (and not the kind your referring to) was AL Wing Communicator of the Year.  I recieved that while on the Comm. Staff and was extremely surprised and honored but at the same time, embarassed.  I've always felt that those kind of awards belong to the folks below Wing level, the one's who are doing the real hard work.

I agree that those at squadron level are not recognized enough for the hard work and dedication given.  Let's face it.  These awards are our "pat on the back" and it's basically the only pay we get.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP