2008 McGuire AFB Air Expo

Started by CASH172, May 13, 2008, 07:42:11 PM

CASH172

I thought I'd post this here since there are bound to be people interested:

QuoteTo all NJ Wing and NER members:

CAP will be participating in the upcoming USAF Air Force Week and the capstone Air Expo event being held at McGuire AFB 31 May and 1 June.  It's important to realize that this is not the ordinary McGuire AFB/305th AMW local air show, but a HQ USAF event that is being driven by the Air Staff out of Washington, D.C.  For that reason, there are several differences in this year's show, as well as an Op Tempo that is far from routine.  This is the main reason we have not had sufficient information to share with all of you until now.

Relying on lessons learned from prior events, there are several key points I want to emphasize about this year's event:

* Safety: Every activity, every plan and every contingency is based on a safety culture being the imperative and fundamental basis of everything we do.  Prevention of heat injuries, physical injuries, vehicle mishaps and any other impairment of a thoroughly safe environment is my #1 priority.
    * Limited staffing.  Based on Air Force taskings we have received, CAP needs for static display, and recruiting and internal support requirements with a limited amount of "flex" for shift relief and no-shows, this year's event is strictly limited to a total of 375 CAP personnel.  Registration details will be announced next week.
    * Administration -- Registration, In & Out processing:  To provide a much smoother support process this year, we will use the Encampment Management Program, a software application written by a CAP member that we have found to be extremely suitable for all large-scale CAP activities.  Registration and payment will be conducted online this year.
    * Unit cohesion:  To maximize unit cohesion, members will be assigned to perform duties with members from the unit they came with, and cadets will be supervised by CAP officers they are familiar with.  Further, all CAP vehicles will be operated by a member of the Wing they originate from (NJ vans driven by NJ members, NY vans driven by NY Wg members, etc.).  All CAP vehicles will be tasked for various transportation functions, so please plan accordingly to bring enough CAP Officers with CAP Drivers Licenses to operate vans while still having enough CAP Officers to maintain adequate supervision of Cadets.
    * CAP Officer-to-Cadet ratios:  Related to the point above, we are targeting an ideal ratio of 1 CAP Officer to 5 Cadets, the bare minimum is 1 CAP Officer to 10 Cadets plus an operator for the CAP vehicle if you bring one.
    * Appearance & Uniform standards: Strict uniform standards have been established by the Air Force for this event and must be adhered to; options or substitutions for the specific items listed below will not be authorized.  Members will be inspected at in-processing for conformity to these standards; if they are not met, the member will either be turned away or assigned to rear area duties on Fort Dix (depending on transportation, distance, etc.).
          o Members should bring a complete set of BDUs with the standard BDU cap ONLY and a complete set of Blues.
          o Each member must bring their ES orange vest.
          o Duty uniform for direct support of Air Force taskings will be:  A black "STAFF" T-Shirt, two sets of which will be issued to every member at in-processing, BDU pants and black boots.  In other words, standard field uniform with printed T-shirt and without BDU shirts.  I believe this will be a real advantage in mitigating heat injuries.
          o Most duties in the CAP static display/recruiting area will be short sleeve blues shirt with open collar.  For the rear area, the duty uniform will be BDUs (with the issued "STAFF" T-shirt on underneath; the Rear Area Ops Chief may authorize de-blousing depending on weather conditions).
          o Haircuts, uniform serviceability and cleanliness, and shined footwear are all a must.
          o The above uniforms assume fair, warm weather.  Options for cool or inclement weather are still being worked out with the Air Force and will be communicated as soon as they are available.
          o Please do not request authorization for uniform variations. Everything outlined here is at the specific direction of the Air Force.  Three 4-star generals are attending this event, and it required extensive negotiations for CAP to be able to wear uniforms at all (AF JROTC, Boy Scouts and other volunteer organizations will be in distinctive T-Shirts and Khaki shorts).  The Air Force has given us a unique privilege, and we must present high standards to earn that trust.
    * Billeting:  Billets will be provided on Fort Dix.  The exact location and sign-in instructions will be sent out later this week.
    * Meals:  We are approved to use an Army Mess Hall at Fort Dix for dinner on Friday, Breakfast and Dinner on both Saturday and Sunday.  Members will be on their own for lunch on each day.
    * Costs:  Registration for the Air Show is $60 per member for the full weekend.  This includes billeting, meals as described above, and two staff T-Shirts.
    * There is an alternative for Cadets who are only able to attend one day and for CAP Officers who are available for only one day or wish to commute (there is no commuter option for Cadets) and this will cost $35.

You can register for the event online at the following URL:  http://njcap2008mcguireairshow.eventbrite.com/

I know that each and every one of you shares my desire for a safe and fun event that supports the Air Force and shows CAP's best capabilities.  I look forward to seeing many of you again and meeting many members for the first time.

The CAP Project Officer for this event is Maj Ron Wiley.  He can be reached by e-mail at coyote4@optonline.net.  Any questions you have regarding duties and assignments available, registration or any other questions can be directed to him and he will coordinate with the appropriate staff member.

Finally, if you want to attend the event as a spectator, you are more than welcome to do so.  However, CAP members who attend the event without registering and being available for support assignments may NOT wear ANY form of CAP uniform.

Thank you all for your continuing commitment to performing missions for America.

Regards,

Col. Robert J. McCabe, CAP

Commander

New Jersey Wing

mikeylikey

Is my math right......

375 people
$60.00 per person
Total is $22,000

Wow.....pay to work your but off for the AF.  Hmmmm....count me out. 

That is a huge amount of money being generated.  PLUS we are buying "STAFF" T-shirts?  WTF

"being allowed to wear CAP uniforms" by the AF??  Whats up with that?

I am guessing "meals provided" will be a can of soda and one slice of pizza (if that) like last year??

I see this turning into a huge mess just like last year. 

Oh and if you don't fit the "ideal image" of what NJWG believes a CAP member should look like.....you will be "quarantined" out of site and forced into some sort of menial labor on Fort Dix.

Last time I was at DIX.....billeting was free for CAP.  Did that just change?

What's up monkeys?

Well USAF does allow us to wear uniforms to begin with.  But you're right having them tell us for this it's okay is kind of well weird. 

Although for paying to work it maybe the meals will be more than a can of soda and a slice.  There's always hoping. 

And I see no problem having to pay for the T-shirts, I mean they have to print them up and all. 

But the cost being 60 could be a little much.  What about those that can't afford the 60?  Do they have to stand on the side lines and wish they could go?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

notaNCO forever

From what happened last year I never plan on going.

Pylon

I can't imagine anybody from this area going to the McGuire activity again for free, let alone having to pay.  No thanks. 

We paid last year, too, and we got told there wasn't enough water for us working in the sun on the flightline for 8 hours, not enough food for lunch for our cadets to have anything, no alternatives other than undercooked hot dogs or hamburgers for dinner for vegetarian members (who declared that in advance on their Form 31's).  I wouldn't pay $60 for the privilege of working in likely poor conditions.  But come to think of it, I wouldn't ask my cadets to pay $60 for the privilege of doing menial labor regardless of the conditions.

If I ever take my cadets to an airshow out of the area again, it will not be so our cadets can be free labor - emptying trash cans, FOD walking, hawking programs for private vendors and the like.  No; We'll go to learn, observe, have some fun and enjoy aviation.

Our cadets are not in CAP for that.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

bricktonfire

i went last year i had fun but was bored of my mined  :( by the 2nd day i was tired and on top of that i was sick (not the food but the climate). it was the most fun i have ever had but as a cadet i thought that it was poorly plan there were too many people there. and as a cadet Airmen 1st class i thought i was treat badly by some of the cadets. the first day of the show i was harassed by my flight Sgt. well my hole flight was. the Flight commander was a Sea Cadet she was wonderful i hope that this year it is planed better and god bless any cadet that end up working there

PS the milk that they give as was horrible

CASH172

Just so I know, is anyone from here planning on going?

CASH172

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 13, 2008, 08:37:18 PM
Last time I was at DIX.....billeting was free for CAP.  Did that just change?

Depends on exactly where we're staying.  The 421st generally does not charge us for using their center.  Mostly due to a former Spaatz cadet being the XO there.  I can't speak for the Army owned facilities, but lately they have been charging for CAP use, mostly the encampment.

afgeo4

I had a fairly interesting time last year and got to actually enjoy the work and the challenges. I worked directly under Maj. Wiley last year, so it was handled well... unlike the rest of the activity.

I would go again, but $60? Can't afford that! No way!

The T-shirts are staff T-shirts and they're the same for everyone who's working the show... USAF and CAP, so I understand that cost and why USAF had to let us wear the uniforms. I think Maj. Wiley will do a great job this year as the project officer. They're severely limiting the amount of people to about 1/4 of last year and they're using encampment software for staff/lodging assignments. Lessons learned.

I simply cannot afford this.
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

Wow, someone must be doing something wrong...

Air Power Over Hampton Roads Airshow's, 2005, 2006:  Free space for recruiting, make up your own uniform decisions, put your plane on the tarmac, etc.  Cadets were offered to help with the airshow as staff.  They stood along the flight line and kept the crowd where they were supposed to be (not that the Jersey barriers didn't help), handed out water on golf carts with an SF person and help point out where things were on the flight line.  They gave us T-Shirts, coordinated meet and greets with the Thunderbirds and various other pilots, gave us VIP tickets to the Commander's tent, gave us free lunch and breakfast (closed for dinner), we got to go to the "afterparty" at the O-Club as personal guests of the 1FW CC.  They were awesome, nobody died, nobody went without food.

Pease ANG Base Airshow 2007: Free recruiting booth space, 2 aircraft on the tarmac, our 4X4 with the comm gear on it, tent, etc.  Make up your own uniform decisions.  Oh, and they were looking for volunteers to help with parking, etc.  But the volunteers got paid $10.00 / hr / volunteer.  Yep, that's right - they paid us to help and the money went to each squadron that helped AND gave us water and food all weekend.

I don't know who we're negotiating with down in NJ, but someone needs to be enlightened...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

*sigh* BOHICA

Won't be going.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RADIOMAN015

???  Personally, I'd keep the cadet & senior "slave labor" for the AF down to about 4 total (each day) for each member.  This is a pretty strange situation where member's of CAP have to wear "staff" Tshirts (surely the black color will prevent heat injuries (perhaps it should have been a light color with dark "staff" lettering).  The AF, AFRES has plenty of people at McGuire to require 315 CAP personnel to assist the AF 'tasking" seems very high.  As far as costs go, I would think that if CAP (and others) are providing so much support, there could be a bigger break on the food/lodging costs.   Again I'd be interested to see how may hours each cadet/senior is going to have to provide support to AF tasking.  This letter almost appears to be like CAP had to beg to pay money to provide support to the AF.   Although I believe that it is good experience for cadets & seniors to provide "some" support at these "open house" activities, there needs to be a limitation on the amount of time "volunteers" provide support so that they can also attend Airshow spectator events and view static aircraft displays.   

mikeylikey

Everyone don't forget, this Airshow is only a small portion of "Air Force Week" in the Philadelphia area.  PAWG has some activities in Philly that are FREE to attend in coordination with the AF. 

New Jersey.......what happened?  Someone got walked all over with this Air Show setup gig. 
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Yeah, I don't get it...

Visiting the show: Free
Working at the show: $60

I'm no accountant, but I think something's screwy with that math.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on May 25, 2008, 03:17:03 AM
Yeah, I don't get it...

I had to break out the TI-86 from 1989 to figure that out also.  After adding it all up, I came to the conclusion that the AF can "sit and spin" if they think charging Volunteers more money to work an Airshow is good business between them and CAP.  The Staff T-shirt thing is a joke.  It is a CAP-specific shirt that was more than likely invented to get everyone in the same uniform.  Bad form NJ. 
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 25, 2008, 04:14:59 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on May 25, 2008, 03:17:03 AM
Yeah, I don't get it...

I had to break out the TI-86 from 1989 to figure that out also.  After adding it all up, I came to the conclusion that the AF can "sit and spin" if they think charging Volunteers more money to work an Airshow is good business between them and CAP.  The Staff T-shirt thing is a joke.  It is a CAP-specific shirt that was more than likely invented to get everyone in the same uniform.  Bad form NJ. 
I was under the impression that everyone working at the show, CAP and USAF would be wearing that t-shirt.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

^ Yes and NO.......CAP (NJWG) is having CAP specific shirts printed up, while the Air Show is printing generic (cheaper shirts) that are free to all DOD staffers (read, Air Force, Army and Navy personell)
What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

The people who dreamed this up either think all CAP members get per diem or are independently wealthy. Good way to get support for the Air Show.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Turk

I got quite and earful from cadets who participated last year.  :o

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal