Best place to get USAF uniforms?

Started by Dad2-4, April 16, 2022, 02:46:06 AM

Dad2-4

Since Vanguard doesn't have anything, what's the best source for USAF blue uniforms? [post edited from previous version]

PHall

Vanguard has never carried military uniforms. Insignia is their thing.
CAP uniforms are carried as part of their contract with CAP.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on April 16, 2022, 05:13:57 PMhttp://www.uniforms-4u.com/c-air-force-uniforms-1077.aspx

I concur, these are high quality, well made uniforms, better than what AAFES carries and definitely better than the products carried by Vanguard... but you get what you pay for and Salute Uniforms are not cheap.

Also they do not carry the short sleeve light blue shirt currently, which in early Spring is not an issue, but more so in July and August.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Capt Thompson

If you know what you're looking for, a local Army surplus store may have uniforms in serviceable condition so you may find the short sleeve blue shirts there, I know my local store usually has them in stock. Also if there is a base near you, the base thrift shop or a thrift shop or surplus store just off base may have what you need.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

SARDOC

Seems even the Exchange appears to have a shortage of these items.

My Question are the USCG Blue shirt/Trouser Combination the same as the USAF Shirt/trouser combination.

RangerConlin

I've got some USCG shirts and if there is a difference, I can't find any. Pants may be a slightly different shade than service coats, but Vanguard doesn't even sell USAF dress pants anyway.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on April 30, 2022, 08:19:30 PMYes Vanguard has them, at about double the price AAFES charges.

AAFES prices are irrelevant to the majority of members, who are not allowed to order
online and have no access to an MCSS.

Frankly the nomenclature should just be removed from the CAP lexicon.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Quote from: RangerConlin on April 30, 2022, 04:17:56 PMI've got some USCG shirts and if there is a difference, I can't find any. Pants may be a slightly different shade than service coats, but Vanguard doesn't even sell USAF dress pants anyway.
Shirts are the same.  Pants are a slightly lighter shade of blue.  Not much, but it is noticeable

Slim

RangerConlin

Quote from: PHall on April 30, 2022, 08:19:30 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 30, 2022, 07:07:34 PM
Quote from: RangerConlin on April 30, 2022, 04:17:56 PMVanguard doesn't even sell USAF dress pants anyway

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-male-trouser-uniform?variant=31134242111542

Yes Vanguard has them, at about double the price AAFES charges.

They call them USAF dress blue pants, but when I ordered some last year they were not USAF spec, they were Flying Cross brand.

SarDragon

The "AF Spec" stuff is what is issued at boot camp. Flying Cross, and other brands, are higher quality (and more expensive) after-market items that usually meet AF requirements. For AD folks, it's pay now or pay later - pay for quality stuff that lasts a long time, or get the cheap stuff and replace more often. For CAP members, taking the cheap route might work, if the frequency of wear is much lower. Personally, I buy clothing like I buy tools - get 'em to last. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on May 01, 2022, 11:22:58 PMThe "AF Spec" stuff is what is issued at boot camp. Flying Cross, and other brands, are higher quality (and more expensive) after-market items that usually meet AF requirements. For AD folks, it's pay now or pay later - pay for quality stuff that lasts a long time, or get the cheap stuff and replace more often. For CAP members, taking the cheap route might work, if the frequency of wear is much lower. Personally, I buy clothing like I buy tools - get 'em to last. YMMV.

The only place you can get the "issue" stuff is at an AAFES Military Clothing Sales store.
Flying Cross is one of the manufacturers of the higher quality stuff. They meet the specs.

Shuman 14

Just an FYI, the "issue Stuff" is manufactured by inmates at Federal Prisons getting a dollar an hour on their commissary card.

"USAF Spec" means minimal standards to be accepted, NOT the highest standards expected.

Simply put... you get what you pay for.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

GroundHawg

I had really good luck getting uniforms when I enlisted in the USAF. All kinds different uniform items and the price was really really low or really really high depending on how you look at it...

Jester

Best place to buy overall is AAFES.  Price & quality are overall better.  Availability can be a challenge if you don't have base access, but that can be overcome with some networking.  They've been hit by the same supply chain issues as most other vendors, and there apparently has been the extra complication of contracts expiring. 

I'd put eBay second over Vanguard.  You can usually find the same stuff you'd get through AAFES, just used.  I'd put surplus stores in this same category.

Vanguard is dead-last for me due to price.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Jester on May 03, 2022, 02:45:10 PMThey've been hit by the same supply chain issues as most other vendors

I just don't even see how that's possible, given the Berry Amendment - don't uniform items have to be made in the US from 100% US inputs?

Jester

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on May 03, 2022, 04:14:18 PM
Quote from: Jester on May 03, 2022, 02:45:10 PMThey've been hit by the same supply chain issues as most other vendors

I just don't even see how that's possible, given the Berry Amendment - don't uniform items have to be made in the US from 100% US inputs?

COVID didn't just apply to imports.