GES & UDF or FLM School

Started by Pylon, May 02, 2005, 05:49:10 PM

Pylon

I was looking to put together a training school for cadets (and possibly involve Seniors) in conjunction with my Group ES officer.  The goal would be to get everyone qualified in GES and then their choice of either UDF or FLM.  The idea is that GES and one simple qualification will help get everyone in the door who wants to get involved in ES, and will put them on the track towards other ratings.

The plan is to have a single-day training school, split into two halves.  The morning will be GES training, with the GES test just before lunch.  Those who already are GES qualified can show up at or after lunch.  The second part of the day splits the groups into two classrooms and tackles the training and SQTR requirements for either UDF or FLM.

I was wondering if anybody has tackled a single-day training exercise such as this before, and if so, how did it go?    Would it perhaps be best ot just do one qualification and stick to it, such as just UDF?

My ES experience is limited, but I will be working in conjunction with our ES staff on this.  I simply want to have a plan of action ready for when I present the idea to the ES Officer.

(See attached for my sample schedule of events)

[attachment deleted by admin- older than one year]
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

My initial feeling is that you won't have enough time to cover all the material, both classroom and practical tasks.

Perhaps using Saturday for GES and classroom work, then Sunday to complete the remainder of the tasks not accomplished on Saturday?

Some say the best approach is to mix classroom and lab work; it provides immediate reenforcement of the classroom learning, as well as breaking up the monotony.  So, you'd cover a handful of related SQTR tasks in the classroom, then do them, then go back to the classroom, etc.

My other, much more significant thought, is that senior members aren't just a "maybe" at this type of course; they are absolutely required.  Knowing your Group (seeing as your Group is my Group), we are in as much of a need of adult members, especially for UDF, as we are cadets.  It doesn't seem cricket to train up 6-10 cadets, then have them sit idle because there are no adults to deploy a team with.

I'd like to see what the interest would be in this.  In the past, quite surprisingly, we've had trouble drumming up support for UDF training, even amongst the cadets that claim they want to do it!  ???

SarDragon

UDF has tasks that should be done in a true field environment (not in a classroom). One requires vehicle operation. Others are best accomplished when the target is farther away than the other end of a parking lot. Remember, the idea here is to do as many tasks as practical, and get as few as possible signed off through the discussion method.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/es/sqtrs/SQTR%20Urban%20Direction%20Finding%20Team.pdf

FLM should be done with an airplane. Initial practice through simulation is OK, but there are too many differences between the simulators (people and cars) and real airplanes to be able to effectively learn the job except with real planes.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/es/sqtrs/SQTR%20Flight%20Line%20Marshaller.pdf

The bottom line here is that I think you are trying to do too much at one time. At the very least, concentrate on one specialty at a time. Then plan for real field work outside the classroom so the sign-offs mean something that just a scrawl on a piece of paper.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Horn229

In 2003 I went to the MER SAR College, and trained in FLM. Saturday morning we had a few classes, then got in two rows and practice all the marshalling signals for about 15 or so minutes. the rest of the day (about 0930 - 1700) was spent standing on the flight line marshalling and/or refueling the airplanes. The next morning after breakfast we went back out and did it again 'til about 1300-1400 then we all left and went home.

A few things I would suggest would be to make it a weekend event, GES Friday night and training all day Saturday and possibly Sunday as well. Another thing, for the FLM's see about getting a few planes and pilots and letting the FLM's get some O-Flights, then let the cadets alternate flying and marshalling, it'll pass the time and get them lots of experience real quick. Also, try and do this at a small airport where you have to pump your own fuel, 'cause I doubt the local BP or FBO is going to allow our cadets to use their stuff.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

voopvoop

We do a yearly UDF School / competition over a weekend.  The Saturday is squaring away all the basics of direction finding and working with other teams.  Triangulation is our friend!  One thing that I think takes away from this is if you focus too much on the items that can be done in the classroom.  How many have gone to two days worth of power point slides and wished they could have those hours back?  General ES "can" be a do it at home project if the student has a computer and follows the national course.  I think a do it at home and bring questions to the meeting is a good approach for some people. 

Anyhow back to the yearly foxhunt we offer a nice take home trophy and we add a name to a perminant trophy of honored DFers.  During the first couple of years we did this we asked each team "When was the last time  you took out the sticks to train?"  Most said last year!  We told them part of the scenario was that the LPERs batteries were dead.  Did they have spares?  Most said NOPE.  We said now put these new ones in and only a few had a tool to open the back.  Really not good.

What I'm saying is this.  Initial training IS important but keeping teams tuned up is just as important.  We now have the Air Force guys umpire it for us and they have moved beyond the "easy" stuff (Batteries, do you use it) and ask team members to lay out 24 hour packs, answer questions from the task manual and so forth.  The trials are timed and the goal is all teams come back with about the same time.  *This proves they all know what they are doing and I'm pleased to say that last year less than 5 minutes separated the first three teams.  If we continue to improve we are thinking of making it a bit more challenging in the athletic department.  Sort of a "micro" Ranger competition.  *No jumping from helos or running 20 miles.  :-(  Just a little more hoofing it and less driving to it.

We are starting to field some more exotic equipment like the "flex" Yagi built out of spring steal (Measuring tape) so you can run through the bush and not bend up your antenna.  It also "hears" a hell of a lot further than the little L-Per antenna.

We make up antennas for 121 (3 elements) and 243 (6 elements) MHz check out http://www.mncap.org/130th/page22.html

BTW The web page is a little crude but I'm not html savy.

Pace

Quote from: voopvoop on June 05, 2005, 11:50:26 PM
We make up antennas for 121 (3 elements) and 243 (6 elements) MHz check out http://www.mncap.org/130th/page22.html

BTW The web page is a little crude but I'm not html savy.

The link doesn't work.  The main page says "Under Construction."
Lt Col, CAP