It seems every few months I order something on Vanguard

Started by Майор Хаткевич, October 02, 2013, 02:48:09 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Placed yet another order.

Total was $101.75, so I got free shipping. Also used "OCTWEET13" to get another 10% off. (Always check https://twitter.com/Vanguardmil for discount code). Ended up with $91.57 total.

Almost 70 items. I'll report back how soon they ship, deliver, and if the order is correct. In the last few years, I've been very impressed with their service, so I'm hoping they come through this time as well.

Huey Driver

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 02, 2013, 02:48:09 PM
Placed yet another order.

Total was $101.75, so I got free shipping. Also used "OCTWEET13" to get another 10% off. (Always check https://twitter.com/Vanguardmil for discount code). Ended up with $91.57 total.

Almost 70 items. I'll report back how soon they ship, deliver, and if the order is correct. In the last few years, I've been very impressed with their service, so I'm hoping they come through this time as well.

Only $101.75 for ~70 items? Lots of cloth items and ribbons, eh?  ::)

I've almost always had exceptional service from Big V but recently placed an order, which is taking longer than usual to process....
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Майор Хаткевич

Yep, the bulk of this one is ribbons and devices. Gotta restock the personal supply box.

Walkman

Soon after I first joined up, there was quite a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth as a C&D order shut down the Hock Shop. AL was very hesitant to order anything from VG after hearing all the horror stories here. But I have to say, in the past 4 years, everything I have ordered has been shipped quickly and without error. Now, I only order stuff for myself, so YMMV with large unit orders like the OP.

Майор Хаткевич

Private Investigator

Huey Driver

Order was finally processed today, AND they're overnighting it! I didn't even talk to them about the order.  :clap:
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

RangerConlin

Unfortunately, I cannot say that I have ever received an order from VG that was correct or undamaged.  I placed one order back in 2010 and recieved an item severely damaged, and they said they would send a new one.  Still waiting...

a2capt

Waiting since 2010? I'd say after just a couple weeks you might have mentioned it again.  I'd expect you're well off their action list now.

Майор Хаткевич

Received notice of shipment today. 2 day processing, going out via UPS 2nd Day.

SAREXinNY

Can someone please explain to me (briefly) why the big V is our only vendor for certain CAP products?  Isn't competition, supply and demand, and the free market something we would want to encourage??  I have had great luck with V.  My items have arrived on time, my orders have been complete, and I generally have no complaints.  But their prices do seem a bit high.  Why doesn't CAP let other companies compete with them?

Eclipse

Quote from: SAREXinNY on October 05, 2013, 02:52:13 AM
Can someone please explain to me (briefly) why the big V is our only vendor for certain CAP products? 

Because they are unique and have a small market, so in order to insure that a manufacturer is interested
in maintaining a production and stock of these items, they are granted an exclusive license for certain marks and insignia.

The contract was put up for RFP and VG was selected.  A simple business process.

In years past there was at least one other vendor producing products, which were generally the same price as those available
from the official sources, yet were in many cases of substandard quality and detail.  When any vendor is found to be producing
products in violation of CAP's license, NHQ has little choice but to enforce their rights or risk both losing their important source
or being sued themselves for not properly enforcing their rights and thereby violating their licensing agreement with VG.

Much of the angst comes in when CAP asserts their rights with something which is clearly not unique like a nametape or nametag and potentially forces the membership to accept a substandard product at a higher cost.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAREXinNY

Thank you very much for clearing that up.  It makes perfect sense.

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2013, 03:04:11 AM
Quote from: SAREXinNY on October 05, 2013, 02:52:13 AM
Can someone please explain to me (briefly) why the big V is our only vendor for certain CAP products? 

Because they are unique and have a small market, so in order to insure that a manufacturer is interested
in maintaining a production and stock of these items, they are granted an exclusive license for certain marks and insignia.

The contract was put up for RFP and VG was selected.  A simple business process.

In years past there was at least one other vendor producing products, which were generally the same price as those available
from the official sources, yet were in many cases of substandard quality and detail.  When any vendor is found to be producing
products in violation of CAP's license, NHQ has little choice but to enforce their rights or risk both losing their important source
or being sued themselves for not properly enforcing their rights and thereby violating their licensing agreement with VG.

Much of the angst comes in when CAP asserts their rights with something which is clearly not unique like a nametape or nametag and potentially forces the membership to accept a substandard product at a higher cost.

Actually I always found the Hock Shop to be superior in quality, service and price.  Monopoly power is always bad, and the arrogance I have noted from Vanguard when there are problems with my orders (which is often) confirms to me that they should not have been selected.

Eclipse

Quote from: Alaric on October 05, 2013, 02:05:25 PM
Actually I always found the Hock Shop to be superior in quality, service and price.  Monopoly power is always bad, and the arrogance I have noted from Vanguard when there are problems with my orders (which is often) confirms to me that they should not have been selected.

Wing patches with incorrect colors, badges with poor or incorrect details, and knock-off  BDUs are some of the things I have seen personally.

I don't believe I ever saw much, if anything, on there that was cheaper, though sometimes shipping was potentially less.

The other business was allowed to operate for years when CAP was doing their sales and production in-house through the depot and Bookstore,
but when that was no longer and option, they had little choice but to put it out for RFP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2013, 03:18:42 PM
Quote from: Alaric on October 05, 2013, 02:05:25 PM

Wing patches with incorrect colors, badges with poor or incorrect details, and knock-off  BDUs are some of the things I have seen personally.

I don't believe I ever saw much, if anything, on there that was cheaper, though sometimes shipping was potentially less.

The other business was allowed to operate for years when CAP was doing their sales and production in-house through the depot and Bookstore,
but when that was no longer and option, they had little choice but to put it out for RFP.

My problems with Vanguard include: sending the wrong product, names misspelled on the tags, badges with scratches across the face and lousy customer service.

MSG Mac

I used to use the Hockshop, until they sent me a badly smudged leather observer wings. When I returned them, I got the same set back. This despite the owner being a member of my squadron and allegedly a friend. I never had a problem with the CAP store or the supply depot in TX.
By having one source CAP reaps a percentage of sales receipts which goes to fund CAP projects and retains its copyright on The CAP name and insignia.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

This is a double-edge sword, since if you asked the average member if they'd like to contribute to "x", or have a lower cost for
their insignia, the majority would probably say "lower cost", however we received nothing back from the other vendor, so
at least we're getting it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2013, 08:04:56 PM
This is a double-edge sword, since if you asked the average member if they'd like to contribute to "x", or have a lower cost for
their insignia, the majority would probably say "lower cost", however we received nothing back from the other vendor, so
at least we're getting it.

Yes its much better to receive a stipend from a company screwing the membership :)

Eclipse

I suppose perception is reality - if you had a problem then they are never going to be "OK" even if they actually are.

As noted ad nauseum here and elsewhere, there isn't a historical source for CAP items which hasn't royally messed up an
order at some point or made a random inferior product.

On the whole they seem to be doing at least an adequate job, which isn't likely going to be done any differently or better
by some other source, and the economics aren't going to work for multiple vendors to be producing those items.

10 years from now we'll all be printing them at home, but in the interim we still need somebody else to do it.

"That Others May Zoom"