Main Menu

Those pesky storms...

Started by Майор Хаткевич, July 24, 2010, 10:50:48 PM

Майор Хаткевич

So, at 3 AM the Chicago River began to flow over the edge of the embankment by our building. Within 15-20 minutes, the whole drive was flooded with 3-4FT of water. Some poor guy parked his convertible under the building next to the Marina (which is also partially under the building), and his car was almost completely submerged.

Our power went out, so no elevator access, and the card readers were dead too. We had to find someone on the inside to open one of the emergency exit doors to let us all in. (About 20 people were down in the lobby looking at the flood and some came home from their Friday night escapades).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=35538&id=1669860241&l=5b0711fe12

NOTE: I guess there's some language in this...<_< A few words here and there.

Flooding at 3AM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhaaujusZuw

The next morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvORhrfMj2w

They don't know when they'll pump out the water/restore power...I'm at my parents house while they're out of town.

Eclipse

My town, West of ORD, got 7 inches of water overnight according to the reverse 911 call I got in the morning.

I was bailing my window wells at 1am and most of the streets had several inches of water.

The Chicago Executive Open House was nearly canceled because the whole place was a swamp, but by 1500 when we were
leaving, most of the mud was dry.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Watching as the next round comes across the midpoint of the state.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Our building of 700 residents was evacuated.

Supposedly River City was the worst hit in Chicago, but that's probably because it's right on the river, and the darn garage is actually below water level, with the concrete barrier the only thing between us and the river. 70-80 Cars won't be driving anytime soon. I may be stuck with relatives for at least a few days...

davidsinn

I thought Chicago was digging a very large hole in the ground to collect storm water?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on July 25, 2010, 03:38:02 AM
I thought Chicago was digging a very large hole in the ground to collect storm water?

Doesn't the 22,400 sq mi very large hole in the ground to the east count in that capacity?  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

They are and did:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Tunnel and as the flooding recedes much of it will be
stored there for treatment and controlled release, but there is only so much water that can be
moved through normal storm sewers into the system.

The SW and Western suburbs were hit especially hard, with the bulk of the 7+ inches falling in only a few hours.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2010, 03:45:13 AM
They are and did:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Tunnel and as the flooding recedes much of it will be
stored there for treatment and controlled release, but there is only so much water that can be
moved through normal storm sewers into the system.

The SW and Western suburbs were hit especially hard, with the bulk of the 7+ inches falling in only a few hours.

I can't imagine having that much water fall over concrete like that. I'm in the upper part of the Kankakee valley watershed out in BFE's back forty and that much water would be an issue for us. BTW I'm on the highest point in the township too.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2010, 03:42:43 AM

Doesn't the 22,400 sq mi very large hole in the ground to the east count in that capacity?  ;)

??? Indiana is a 38,418 Sq Mile hole to the East.   >:D

Seriously, though, you have to get the water there for it to help, and part of the issue is trying to avoid dumping untreated storm
runoff back into the drinking water supply,

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2010, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2010, 03:42:43 AM

??? Indiana is a 38,418 Sq Mile hole to the East.   >:D

Seriously, though, you have to get the water there for it to help, and part of the issue is trying to avoid dumping untreated storm
runoff back into the drinking water supply,

To quote Blue Oyster Cult: "History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man." Covering that much ground with concrete screws a lot of things up.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Big props to the Chicago Fire Department. All that water seen in the pictures/video is gone. At noon today I was told some 3ft of water were left, and that after an inspection, ComEd would be let in to take a look at the generators - sometime late tonight. By 4PM the Fire Department had departed, and the phones at the security desk were ringing (electricity!), though no one was there to pick them up. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll be able to return home.

Майор Хаткевич