Tracking Cadet Participation in Activities Outside the Squadron

Started by A.Member, February 10, 2009, 04:50:18 AM

A.Member

Curious to get input as to how other DCC's, CC's, or those with responsibilities pertaining to Cadet Programs authorize and track the participation of their cadet's activities outside the squadron. 

In other words, how do you know what they're doing?  Do you have cadets participate in activities for the Wing?  If so, do you authorize participation in advance?  If yes, how?  If not, why not?  Examples of activities could include but is not limited to things such as SAREX's, Encampment, Honor Guard, Wing Conferences, visits to other squadrons, etc. 

CAPF 31 is available for CAP Encampments and Special Activities.  Do you use this?  Another form?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Gunner C

Quote from: A.Member on February 10, 2009, 04:50:18 AM
Curious to get input as to how other DCC's, CC's, or those with responsibilities pertaining to Cadet Programs authorize and track the participation of their cadet's activities outside the squadron. 

In other words, how do you know what they're doing?  Do you have cadets participate in activities for the Wing?  If so, do you authorize participation in advance?  If yes, how?  If not, why not?  Examples of activities could include but is not limited to things such as SAREX's, Encampment, Honor Guard, Wing Conferences, visits to other squadrons, etc. 

CAPF 31 is available for CAP Encampments and Special Activities.  Do you use this?  Another form?
This was one of the biggest causes of heartburn I had as a commander.  There was more information going around me than through me.  A commander in CAP has no idea, most of the time, that there's missions going on, that cadets/SMs have been tasked, activities, etc.  The first I heard of a mission once what when our group aircraft had had an accident on landing (belly landing) and the wing commander wanted to know why I didn't know about this mission/why I wasn't there seeing of anyone was hurt.

Any cadet activities should be known by the commander (you should be notified in advance by higher) - that would allow you annotate records when necessary.

jimmydeanno

My squadron had an issue with other squadrons inviting our cadets to things like bivouacs, etc without going through the DCC or the CC.  It would be a cadet commander to cadet commander invite leaving all the seniors out of it.

Next thing you know a cadet is telling you they don't need to go on another outside activity for promotion because they already did something with the other squadron.  It caused a lot of confusion and even more heartburn when a parent gives you a call asking for the number to the bivouac their kid is at and you have no idea.

We have a bunch of activities that go on and the squadrons surrounding us have learned to go through the adult leadership for invitations.  We announce activities that we think our cadets should go to or we plan joint exercises, etc.

Now the confusion is gone and we know who is going where and when.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

swamprat86

For Wing level events, we started using an online registration system for all the member to attend things like SAREXs, Wing training events, encampments, etc.  Then about a week before the event we email all the commanders the excel list generated from the site to make sure that the commander has knowledge and approves the member's attendence.  This does not substitute required forms and signatures for certain events like encampments, but it does give us a better means of tracking how many plan on attending an event other than emails that may be sent to several people.  It also gives us more information than x squadron is bringing 7 people.

On a side note, we have noticed that registration numbers for events have gone up as well as the number of no-shows gone down.  Since we have the individual member register ahead of the event it makes it easier for us to see who registered but never showed.

gistek

While it's definitely preferable to have cadets request permission in advance of participating in an out-of-unit activity, this doesn't always happen.

In some cases there isn't enough time between when the cadet - or senior member - finds out about the activity and the time they have to leave to attend it. This might be because they are invited as a last minute replacement for someone who was schedules, but couldn't make it. Or it might be because the Commander and/or DCC didn't check messages as often as they should.

In order to keep track of CAP activities outside of one's home unit, the member should request a letter of participation from the senior member in charge of the activity.

If a cadet member claims to have participated in an activity, but doesn't have a letter of participation that can be verified, he or she doesn't get credit, It's that simple.

While this level of record keeping isn't needed for promotion for senior members, it is invaluable for awards nominations.

Of course, if the activity is out-of-wing the proper forms must be filed ahead of time. If such inter-wing activities are likely (for instance between units near state borders), units involved can ask Wing (and Region, if necessary) to consider creating some sort of blanket permission covering the specific units involved.

A.Member

I'll add the flip side to the argument.   You may have a cadet, that due to performance issues, should not attend an outside activity.  That is not effectively being managed if there is no authorization process in place.

So, to me, there appears to be a couple aspects to this issue aside from would I perceive to be the obvious liability concerns.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pylon

This is simple to solve.  You communicate to your squadron that all members must obtain squadron commander's permission before attending any outside activities.  Those that you find out attended something without first informing the Sq/CC get progressive discipline. 

I would imagine that one verbal warning or LOC will be more than enough to make it crystal clear that it's not optional to keep the CC in the loop.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: Pylon on February 10, 2009, 07:03:34 PM
This is simple to solve.  You communicate to your squadron that all members must obtain squadron commander's permission before attending any outside activities.  Those that you find out attended something without first informing the Sq/CC get progressive discipline. 

I would imagine that one verbal warning or LOC will be more than enough to make it crystal clear that it's not optional to keep the CC in the loop.
I agree.  I'm actually looking at this from a more comprehesive view though.  Based on my experience and the few comments here, it appears others have encountered the issue and some standards are needed.  Seems to me that this is a process that needs to be defined and consistently applied across the organization. 

I'm actually a bit surprised that legal has barked about this issue...perhaps they're too busy chasing down rogue nametape vendors. ;)

jeders

I don't know about other wings, but here in Texas everyone has to have a signed PL from the squadron commandersaying that you are authorized to participate in the activity and that you are up to date on safety briefings. If you don't have one or you're not listed on one, you don't get to play. This goes for every activity outside of the squadron. Even if it's two squadrons doing some sort of leadership weekend, you're still supposed to have it. So even though it wasn't the original intent, the original intent was to make sure everyone was attending safety briefings, it has the added bonus of keeping the squadron commander in the loop.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RedFox24

Back in the day when I was a squadron commander, I required every cadet to do a CAPF 31 and 60 for any activity in or out of the squadron.  When I went on to be a group commander I set the same policy for the group.  The problem(s) always happend where the squadron commander was "out of touch" with the unit as far as just turning the cadet program over to the cadets and not supervising.  Cadets in those units it seemed just did their own thing......

When I was Wing DCP, we had the same problem with cadets from certain units just up and planning and having activities and calling them Wing or Region cadet activities.  My favorite one was were one cadet was hosting a "Region" NCO school.  I asked her what made it a Region activity.  Her response:  Well we have a cadet from another Wing attending...........  Again I goes back to the commander who was not "in touch" with his/her people.

We have cadets each year who turn in applications for the encampment with out their squadron commanders signature.  Our first call is to the commander and nine times out of ten, they know nothing about the cadets app.  And sadly more often that not it is the same unit year after year.  What does that tell you? 

With "Real" missions it is hard to keep track of people when they get called directly by the IC etc.  However with Cadets, there should be a call to the Squadron Commander that they have been activated.  But with campouts, encampments and other units activities, you need to set a policy that you don't play without your blessing. 

I know of two unit commanders who require cadets visiting their unit from other units to get permission first.  Once they request permission, a phone call gets made to the cadets commander to see if they know anyting about it.  Same things happens when another cadet shows up at the meeting without notice, the cadets commander get a call.

I also think you need to "lay down the law" that they should not go on ES missions etc without notifying you first.  Just what you need is a call from a parent wanting to know where their kid is and you have no idea.

You just have to be vigilant........and I don't know that I helped you any........
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

lordmonar

I'll caviate that with the execption to missons and SAREXs.  When the commander signs their SQTR he is giving his authorisation for that individual to participate in those acitivities.

I say this as a GBD doing a quick call out.....We don't have time for each and every individual to call his commander to get permission to go out on a mission.

One of the reasons why commanders really need to look at each cadet and SM they allow to train and qualify for an ES position.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ozzy

Yep, but isn't there a form  that needs to be signed by the unit command that would allow that cadet to attend an activity like CAPF 31 or as cadets in NY, NYWG Form 17 or SQTRs for ES missions and SAReXs?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

ol'fido

Quote from: lordmonar on February 10, 2009, 08:35:28 PM

I'll caviate that with the execption to missons and SAREXs.  When the commander signs their SQTR he is giving his authorisation for that individual to participate in those acitivities.

I say this as a GBD doing a quick call out.....We don't have time for each and every individual to call his commander to get permission to go out on a mission.

One of the reasons why commanders really need to look at each cadet and SM they allow to train and qualify for an ES position.

I agree with everything that Redfox24 has to say and that does include call ups for missions. I adressed this issue just last week at my sqaudron meeting. No cadets paricipate in anything outside of the sqadron's planned activities without notifying me first. And it isn't a "NO" issue, it's a "KNOW" issue. I have no problem with my cadets participating in any  outside activity as long as I know about it.

If one of my cadets attends another unit's regular meeting, they must have my permission and the permission of the other unit's CC. I also want to know that they have the other CC's OK. Other unit's may have issues that they need to deal with at their meetings and the presence of someone from outside the unit may hinder or complicate that.

As for call outs for missions, how much trouble is it for the cadet to make a phone call on the way to the mission. My squadron has both my home and cell #s and can at least leave a message if I'm not available at either of those. I'd rather get a message than a call from the group or wing CC wanting to know why my cadet got hurt at a mission in Kentucky and I have to say "Which cadet and what mission?" Whether they are called up as independent assets or not, they are still my responsibility.

I also want to know before I let my cadets go do something that there will be adequate senior member supervision.  My cadets want to go recruiting at their school by themselves? I have no problem with that. They want to drive 100 miles to another wing to help out. I better get a call from some senior letting me know that they will have someone there to supervise and take care of them. And while they are there, I want periodic calls to let me know they are alright and a call when they get home to let me know they are back safe.

So endeth the rant.....
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

CAP Member

Our wing has a form for all cadet activities (and for seniors as well), whether wing or squadron, that is is to be filled by the cadet and it is required that the DCC or CC signs this form.  This shows that the activity was approved and authorized. 

And as the DCC I had placed a form in each cadets folder which showed the activities the participated in and that was approved - which was pulled from the wing form.

J Lenell, Capt, CAP
Former DCC
Mt. Rainier Composite Sqdn
PCR-WA-007