What staff posistion should i go for?

Started by The Chief of the Mountains, February 09, 2019, 03:35:42 PM

The Chief of the Mountains

I am a C/CMSgt and age 13, i want to staff an encampment for the first time but i don't know that i should be.
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO

Eclipse

How many encampments have you been to and
what is your position at your home squadron?

"That Others May Zoom"

I have been to one as a basic, and i have held the position of a flight sergeant. I also have filled in a few times as our first sergeant.
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO

arajca

There are some cadets in your unit you can talk to about this who have served as staff on recent encampments.

yeah i know im just trying to send in preaplication and i dont want to wait til thursday
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO

yolo

Wow this exact same situation applies to me  :). It all depends on how you are feeling. Do you feel ready to take charge of a flight of cadets? Or do you want to wait and be support staff this year and try next year. Keep in mind your age and your PT, in addition to drill and other stuff.

CAP9907

I second Meeps suggestion... try a support role before going into a command one..
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Thanks, i applied for logistics, public offairs, and flight sergeant. thanks for your help
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO

PHall

If your encampment has a Advanced Training Flight you should apply for that.

arajca

Presuming their appling for the COWG Encampment, it does not have an advanced flight.

Eclipse

Quote from: The Chief of the Mountains on February 09, 2019, 03:35:42 PM
I am a C/CMSgt and age 13, i want to staff an encampment for the first time but i don't know that i should be.

When do you anticipate getting your Mitchell? If you're an ACH8 Chief, the way you're fast-burning, one
could assume you'd be a C/2d Lt by the 4 of June, and even if you're an ACH7 Chief, the encampment
is 114 days from writing this, so unless you got your ACH7 very recently, you could probably make it.

Few good encampment CC's would want you to delay promotion simply to have a given job, nor would they allow
you to demote just for the job, and all things being equal it's inappropriate for an officer to be acting as Shirt.

Assuming you're an officer by then, the support roles seem like a good fit as you'll be too fresh to
know much about being a Flight CC.

Flight Sgt or First Shirt would be appropriate, but again, don't delay purposely, although it's not unheard of
for cadets to have their last days at an encampment as an NCO, then get promoted as graduation.

Remember, so much of CAP, especially encampment roles is timing. You can't go back and do something
later you only have one shot at, so if First Shirt is an option, go for that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ok guys thanks for your help, i will be applying for a nco position, pushing back my promotion a little. I want the experience of going as a nco.
Thanks
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: The Chief of the Mountains on February 11, 2019, 05:33:47 AM
Ok guys thanks for your help, i will be applying for a nco position, pushing back my promotion a little. I want the experience of going as a nco.
Thanks

That's a bad idea, Cadet.

Let's go back to the Cadet Oath:
"advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself"

I know of other cadets that held themselves up for 6+ months so they could hold a certain staff position at Encampment rather than progressing, and it caused them issues in applying for future roles when it became known that they're someone who intentionally stalls out.

Don't withhold yourself from promoting until June. It's February. When it comes time for you to promote, after Encampment, what if your home unit cadre were to decide that you weren't ready to advance to C/2d Lt because you weren't mature enough to take responsibility for your advancement?

arajca

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 11, 2019, 03:06:36 PM
Quote from: The Chief of the Mountains on February 11, 2019, 05:33:47 AM
Thanks

That's a bad idea, Cadet.

Let's go back to the Cadet Oath:
"advance my education and training rapidly to prepare myself"

I know of other cadets that held themselves up for 6+ months so they could hold a certain staff position at Encampment rather than progressing, and it caused them issues in applying for future roles when it became known that they're someone who intentionally stalls out.

Don't withhold yourself from promoting until June. It's February. When it comes time for you to promote, after Encampment, what if your home unit cadre were to decide that you weren't ready to advance to C/2d Lt because you weren't mature enough to take responsibility for your advancement?
It depends on how long you're holding back. If it's a month or so, no one will really notice. If it s 3 or 4 months, it'll gain attention. For many positions, the encampment staff selection folks want cadets to promote at least once between the staff selection activity and Encampment. About the only reason they'll accept for not doing so is if the cadet or their unit doesn't feel they are ready to promote, but that raises other issues.

Don't worry it will only be 3-4 weeks and besides i promote every two months when i have the chance.
C/CMSgt
Safety NCO