The proper wear of CAP ribbons

Started by AlphaSigOU, September 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Chirpoff on December 13, 2012, 08:11:38 AM
Hello! I'm kind of new to posting here, so please forgive me and let me know if I'm in the wrong category, and I'll hop my question over there. :)

Do you know if there are any cadets that have ever earned all the cadet ribbons available? And are there any SMs that have earned all the SM ribbons - or both all cadet and SM ribbons together?

Just a curiosity question... it's an interesting thought.

I'm sure that there are some that are close, although it would be pretty difficult to do, considering that some are earned just by happenstance. It's not everyday that someone is presented with opportunities to earn the Silver AND Bronze medals of valor, as well as some of the higher commendations, like the Distinguished Service Medal.

I'm pretty active and have done a lot, but even then have only earned 24 of the possible 33 ribbons I can wear (~72%). As a cadet I earned 23 of the possible 33 available at the time (Feik, Armstrong, National Commander's Unit Citation, Nat CC Commendation, CD, HLS, VFW NCO, VFW Officer, and Achievement Medal didn't exist).  So, it is possible for a member to earn them all, but they have to participate in a number of areas significantly, as well as progress up the chain enough to have a bigger scope of influence (Wing Commander, Region Commander, etc), as well as have "good luck" in having bad things happen around them.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

West MI-CAP-Ret

Kind of off remarks, but am I the only person who thinks the Homeland Defense ribbon is ugly?
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

West MI-CAP-Ret

There is nothing in CAP that mandates which awards to wear or not to wear, in order that badges are not higher than the notch on the service coat's collar.  So, you are free to use your judgement. 

Many mbrs simply wear their top three highest military ribbons above cap ribbons.  As previously suggested, try the 4 ribbon holder configuration.  Point:  your lapel should not cover more than half of the ribbon (nothing official, but seems what folks do).  Also lay your dress blouse down and see how many rows you can wear...
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Rick-DEL

I wear my USAF ribbons with my CAP ones (15 total). I do not, however, wear ribbons earned while I was in the Air National Guard if they were a state awarded ribbon (i.e. State Emergency Response, etc.). I am pretty sure that since I earned those in one state, but now live in another state where I participate in CAP, those cannot be worn. So, those two only exist in my shadow box at home. I have been in CAP not that long to earn many ribbons (only 4; Membership, Leadership, Yeager, and Disaster Relief w/V), so roughly ~75% of the rack are USAF ribbons with two breast crest above them (until I finish out MO status, then I will wear the wings instead).

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Rick-DEL on December 14, 2012, 01:57:27 PM
I wear my USAF ribbons with my CAP ones (15 total). I do not, however, wear ribbons earned while I was in the Air National Guard if they were a state awarded ribbon (i.e. State Emergency Response, etc.). I am pretty sure that since I earned those in one state, but now live in another state where I participate in CAP, those cannot be worn. So, those two only exist in my shadow box at home. I have been in CAP not that long to earn many ribbons (only 4; Membership, Leadership, Yeager, and Disaster Relief w/V), so roughly ~75% of the rack are USAF ribbons with two breast crest above them (until I finish out MO status, then I will wear the wings instead).

IIRC, State awards are not worn at all. Only things that can be worn on the AF AD uniform.

Eclipse

Brest crest?

"That Others May Zoom"

LGM30GMCC

I don't think there is a 'standard' military folks follow in CAP at all.

The only USAF-thing I wear on my service dress is my Missile Badge.

I can't do the 4 across thing as there is just no room on my chest. That and I think I would look silly with my 7 AF ribbons and umpteen CAP ribbons. I don't have an issue with the various CAP awards I've gotten and I'm proud of the things they represent. It may be simple, but I do think it is a nice way to appreciate someone. I have more respect for many of our CAP ribbons then I had for a lot of ROTC ribbons.

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on December 14, 2012, 02:38:10 PM

Brest crest?

I would assume they're referring to AFSC insignia, such as:

USAF Maintenance Badge

or

USAF Force Protection Badge

PHall

Quote from: 68w10 on December 14, 2012, 11:30:13 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 14, 2012, 02:38:10 PM

Brest crest?

I would assume they're referring to AFSC insignia, such as:

USAF Maintenance Badge

or

USAF Force Protection Badge

FYI: Every AFSC has an Occupational Badge assigned.  Last time I looked there are about 15 or so badges.

Eclipse

Then he would not wear two, unless one is considered an aviation badge.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on December 15, 2012, 01:44:05 AM
Then he would not wear two, unless one is considered an aviation badge.

It wouldn't be the first time someone wore the wrong badges.

PHall

If he is wearing his Air Force uniform, then IAW AFI 36-2903, he can wear a max of 2 speciality badges.
But if he is wearing his CAP uniform, then IAW CAPM 39-1, he can wear just one badge.

Rick-DEL

Sorry fellas, I haven't checked-in recently. Yes, the two are USAF Specialty Badges as pointed out (and, the two images posted were the exact ones I have, nice guess). I was under the impression that 2 devices may be worn. I'll have to revisit 39-1. From what you are mentioning, it appears two can be worn only if one is an aviation type. If not, then only one may be worn. If that's the case, I can certainly remove one (the oldest, and maintain the most recent).

Once we get back into flying season, I have a few tasks to knock out to complete the requirements for MO. So, I'll be pulling one off anyways to make a home for the new CAP MO wings (on top). Might as well get a head start  ;)

I certainly want to ensure I stay in regs, thanks for pointing that out.

NorCal21

Quote from: PHall on December 15, 2012, 05:58:57 AM
If he is wearing his Air Force uniform, then IAW AFI 36-2903, he can wear a max of 2 speciality badges.
But if he is wearing his CAP uniform, then IAW CAPM 39-1, he can wear just one badge.

I'm not doubting you, but I just did a quick check through the 39-1 badges section and didn't see any specification of just one occupational badge from the USAF. Can you tell me what page and/or heading?

vincemoe

C/CMgst Vincent Moeykens
C/CC
NER-VT-007

DrKem

First, thank you so much for your posting!  The regulations can be a bit confusing.  I do have a couple of questions.
1.  As a cadet in the 1960's everyone in my squadron wore the Unit Citation Award for actions prior to my membership.  The squadron is not defunct.  I have no proof that the award was ever given other than of a photo from the 60's showing me wearing it.  My guess, reading the modern regs is that I don't wear this ribbon as a senior with a significant lapse of time.
2.  Are you sure that a senior member can wear the Encampment Ribbon for encampments earned as a cadet?  That explicit statement is not in the regs.  I'm confused on that point.
3.  I was a member of the Wing Drill Team that went to Regional Competition.  We came in second and I have a newspaper article outlining these statements but again, the squadron is now defunct and there are no records that survive other than this article.  Is it worth it to submit this to NHQ or a waste of time?
4.  My cadet service record that was updated by NHQ shows that I served for more than two years but I never received a Service Ribbon.  Are Service Ribbons awarded by CAP or do you only demonstrate your two years via your record?

Any help you folks give this newbie is greatly appreciated.  I want to wear what I earned, but I don't want to wear what is not allowed.  Integrity first.
Dr. Kem Fronabarger, Major CAP
SC Wing Director of Professional Development
Certificate of Proficiency, 13 Jul 1964
Amelia Earhart Award #1105, 11 Mar 1966

arajca

Quote from: DrKem on December 24, 2013, 07:11:38 PM
First, thank you so much for your posting!  The regulations can be a bit confusing.  I do have a couple of questions.
1.  As a cadet in the 1960's everyone in my squadron wore the Unit Citation Award for actions prior to my membership.  The squadron is not defunct.  I have no proof that the award was ever given other than of a photo from the 60's showing me wearing it.  My guess, reading the modern regs is that I don't wear this ribbon as a senior with a significant lapse of time.
If you were a member of a unit DURING THE TIME FRAME the UC was awarded for, you may wear it regardless of any lapse in service - provided you can document this.
Quote2.  Are you sure that a senior member can wear the Encampment Ribbon for encampments earned as a cadet?  That explicit statement is not in the regs.  I'm confused on that point.
Yes. Activity awards earned as a cadet are retained when transitioning to seniordom.
Quote3.  I was a member of the Wing Drill Team that went to Regional Competition.  We came in second and I have a newspaper article outlining these statements but again, the squadron is now defunct and there are no records that survive other than this article.  Is it worth it to submit this to NHQ or a waste of time?
Are you listed by name in the article? If so, give it a shot. The worst that will happen is NHQ will say no.
Quote4.  My cadet service record that was updated by NHQ shows that I served for more than two years but I never received a Service Ribbon.  Are Service Ribbons awarded by CAP or do you only demonstrate your two years via your record?
You can use your record to document the award of the Red Service Ribbon.

The Infamous Meerkat

Sir,
1.)I'll admit I don't understand everything about the award regs, but (and this is dangerous territory) I have been told that you wear the unit citations of the unit you are with, regardless of when the unit earned them. I don't believe this is true, and as such (while the regs may have allowed it in the 60's, I firmly believe that you can only wear unit citations for the unit you are assigned to, while you are assigned to that unit.
2.)Absolutely you can wear that encampment ribbon, but you may run into someone like myself who would request some sort of evidence... Hopefully you have something on paper.  :-\
3.)It can't hurt to try, after all, NHQ records might have something you don't and if the article is from a credible news agency, I could see them approving it to be on your record.
4.)I was never awarded the RSR on Eservices either, but that may be a lack of good paperwork handling in my squadron or some such thing. If it shows you have two years of service on your records, I'd run the paper up the chain and see what happens.

Hope that's helpful in some way...
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

jeders

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on December 24, 2013, 07:38:36 PM
1.)I'll admit I don't understand everything about the award regs, but (and this is dangerous territory) I have been told that you wear the unit citations of the unit you are with, regardless of when the unit earned them.

100% wrong, and this was recently (the last few years) clarified in the regs. If you are in a unit that is awarded a UC, you wear it forever. If you transfer into a unit that was awarded a UC before you got there, you do not wear it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Kevin,

You were told wrong.

In the USAF and CAP you only wear unit citations from units you were a member of when that unit was awarded the citation.

This is an ARMY thing that has snuck into CAP and despite clear regulations on it....we just can't seem to kill it.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP