Is CAP a good option for my son

Started by Lazarus104, January 09, 2021, 07:54:04 AM

Lazarus104

I was a cadet more than 30 years ago. I thought about joining as a SM a few years ago but life got in the way. Needless to say, my knowledge on CAP is antiquated and my memory is fuzzy. My son has expressed interest in doing something in the military, possibly in intelligence. He has also expressed interest in joining CAP (he's going to be 12). Given that he's not necessarily interested in aeronautics, would CAP beneficial for him? If memory recalls, cadets have to study aeronautics to advance in rank. Would he be better suited for Naval Sea Cadets or Young Marines? I just want him to get the most out of his experiences.

baronet68

While CAP has about 25% of its curriculum based on aerospace, the overall program provides a good introduction to military lifestyle as well as providing opportunities for cadets to practice leadership principles in a real-world environment (where cadets actually lead other cadets).

CAP can be a great experience for anyone considering military service.  Over my many years of working with cadets, I've had former cadets go on to have great success in all branches of the military service and (except for the US Coast Guard Academy) I have former cadets who have graduated from all of the military service academies.

Specific to military intelligence, I have a former Spaatz Cadet (Cadet Colonel) who turned down an Air Force Academy appointment because he had already completed his Associates Degree through the Running Start program so, rather that entering the academy as a freshman and working four more years to be commissioned as a lieutenant, he attended AFROTC at his university and was commissioned two years before his would be classmates.  He then went on to serve as a military intelligence officer.

I would recommend your son contact a couple of CAP units close to you and talk about the 'flavor' of their local program.  Some squadrons might be more emergency services focused while other may be more focused on military drill/color guard, aviation, public service, etc.  Find the unit that best fits his interests and give CAP a try.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Spam

Hi Lazarus.

Given that your son is currently 11 (if I read your post correctly) you've some time before critical decisions need be made. Which is to say, this is a great time for you to help him explore!

My suggestions are to start with a two way conversation with him about his dreams, but also your expectations and hopes as his parent, regarding what you want him to focus on consistently (i.e. core academics, personal fitness, etc.) regardless of career aspirations (which, at age 11, may change and change again many times before graduation). I would suggest (as I do to CAP cadets) that a broad base of academics, plus extracurricular activities, plus staying out of trouble, keeps many many career options open to let one flex with changes later on. In short, seek a classical liberal education in the correct sense of the phrase. If you as a parent want to see him complete college and seek an officers role, as opposed to becoming an enlisted professional, then you need to explore what those options both mean now, to help cage his expectations, and to help frame follow on discussions re: high school math, English, and other prep courses. Start with job requirements and work backwards to see what education is needed, and then plan school class choices, and then (finally) how cadet programs would fit.

So then, I would suggest, after you've had those discussions, pivot back to examining the available cadet programs like CAP, AFJ/NJ/JROTC, Sea Cadets, and YM. Each organization has unique aspects and benefits and all are great foundations for a good military career (pro tip: don't let your son be overly influenced by inter service rivalry trash talk, fun as it may seem).

Having worked closely with the Intel community for years (and disclosure, I have an MI nephew with four combat deployments who is Field grade now, which really makes me feel old) I would like to suggest to you that a broad exposure to both customer communities (Aviation, Infantry, Naval surface and sub communities, etc.) to technical areas (physical sciences including aerospace and engineering) and human behavior (HUMINT relies on psychology, pattern and intent analyses) are all important. From that aspect, regardless if you and your son choose CAP (Aerospace flavor) or YM (possibly an Infantry or Armor focus, depending on the unit), it could be just one aspect of a broad brush exposure to a potential career field (i.e. not locking him into any one field).

Or, in 2026 he decides he wants to go be a chef or something. Which is great. Be a great American chef, and vote your conscience, son (grin). At least a cadet exposure to a DFAC will curb his expectations of military cuisine.

Best of luck! Post back and let us know how it worked out!

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

He's at a "lucky age", since he can't join for a while anyway.

On the mean CAP is an excellent program for adolescents.

It's not going to approach anything resembling "normal" until at least the end of this
year, and probably not until well into 2022.  Once things restart the member attrition
we're seeing is going to open up both unique challenges and opportunities.

Use this time to explore the organization, your local squadrons (maybe some virtual visits),
and get a feel for what is happening CAP-wise in your state.

The other two programs listed are about 1/2 the size, respectively, as CAP.  They offer some
unique experiences as well, but tend to be much more narrowly focused on the paramilitary then
CAP is, and they do not have an operational Emergency Services component. He could join the YM
now, assuming there is a unit in reasonable proximity, but he'd need to be 13 for the NSCC.

While certainly aerospace is a major component of orientation and training, CAP has been working
towards becoming a stem partner with a lot of agencies to emphasize technology in both air and space.
There are plenty of successful cadet who never get near an airplane.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lazarus104

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.