CAPF 2B (voluntary resignation) Or No?

Started by SemperVigHooah, September 01, 2020, 02:07:44 PM

SemperVigHooah

Less than one month ago, our unit's squad comm switched since the old unit commander's term was up. Because of an unfortunate event within my family, I had to take an excused leave of absence prior to the change of command, which was 9 months ago in January.

The new unit commander has always had, shall we say, less than favorable feelings for me primarily due to the fact that I filed an after-action report over a year ago that called solely her out on not addressing sexual harassment complaints from myself, as well as other members, and sent it up to wing, hot to mention many upon MANY cadet protection program and hazing reg violations. The response obviously was far from jolly. Not to mention that that correlated with other events where we disagreed on things and just generally hated each other.

The new unit commander used this opportunity of me being absent for a month to remove all of my staff positions (which she can technically do because if you're inactive, you can't hold any) despite the absence being excused, filled my previous staff positions with cadets that have less than 6 months in total TIS, and informed me that I'd have to wait 6 months to work back up to even a Flight NCO (OR 1st element leader) position that typically would be held by someone less than half of my rank. All for something I couldn't control. I even did it the right way by informing my leadership, whereas some cadets could be gone for 4 months consecutively without informing senior leadership and not be removed of ANYTHING.

Now, listen. I've been in three years. I've been deployed recently on the COVID-19 pandemic response task force missions, gone to encampment twice (once as a staffer), served in both of my specialties over a year and a half each and am doing JROTC for 4 years (therefore allowing me to get that sweet E3). I feel that my presence at my unit anymore is redundant and useless. My unit commander hates me, and the subordinates and fellow non-comms I work with love me (and I'm not just tooting my own horn). That combination can make for a really bad experience.

Needless to say, I've got my letter of resignation typed up, printed, signed, and dated. The meeting is tonight, at which point I will do one of two things;

1. Walk in, shake everyone's hand, fork over my resignation letter, and don't turn back.
2. Wait out the 6 months for whatever reasons you guys can give to me.

To leave or not to leave? You all have equal say. Advise me on what I should do.

Jester

If there's another unit that's a realistic trip for you, then I'd look into transferring.

TheSkyHornet

I'm getting the impression that you're a cadet.

So, first of all, you broke the rule on AARs: You don't "call out" anyone in the AAR, ever. It doesn't matter what the circumstance is. It's not a finger-point fest; it's a recap of events to identify improvements and sustainments to the operation.

If there was a legitimate concern over sexual harassment and cadet protection violations, those should have been addressed as an immediate safety matter. You can go outside of the unit for assistance in that case, particularly Wing HQ. Did this ever happen? You sent the AAR to Wing. What did they do with it?

There are often times where people allege an issue that isn't actually a violation, particularly in the whole "hazing" categorization. Tread carefully with that. Check the regs. Ensure it is actually hazing. If the squadron commander says, "No it wasn't," then go to the Group Commander or Wing HQ and ask for assistance. But understand that it's not an accusation that can easily be undone.

This isn't to discourage you from reporting an issue. But if there was an issue months ago, you're going to face that question of "Why didn't you bring it up then?" That doesn't mean you did anything wrong. But understand that accusations and claims, no matter how legitimate they may be, often are faced with a response of skepticism.

What should you do?

I don't think I can appropriately answer that based on your post. There's really not a lot of information to go off of with no specifics.

Your post is very anecdotal (storytelling), and that's not a bad thing. But there's not enough detail to really allow me to offer judgment and guidance. I'm extremely cautious when I hear these types of claims because they are often times not substantiated and not necessarily accurate. That's not to call anyone a liar or say "you made that up," but the people on this board don't know you and don't know the personnel in your squadron. There is so much behind-the-scenes that we're missing here. We could give completely inappropriate advice.

My suggestion to you is that, if there is a legitimate claim of sexual harassment, contact your Wing Inspector General or perhaps even your Wing Director of Cadet Programs and seek assistance. They'll point you to the right office to talk to and discuss the situation with you. Remember that this is a very serious allegation, and, if true, it could still be happening to other people. It needs to be stopped.

You may also consider how accurate these accounts are and what role you may have had in upsetting relations with personnel in the unit. Is there something that you did to put yourself in this situation? Again, that's not an accusation of yourself, and it's not my way of saying "Get over it" or "Suck it up, buttercup." Just reflect on it for a moment. If you really believe that there is a problem here that impacts the safety and welfare of yourself and other cadets, you need to address that. It's extremely important that it gets addressed. But please be sure that this is the case and that this stuff really goes on.

"Should I walk away or wait out the time" isn't a mature way of handling this. You should be weighing whether this is a situation that has to be addressed to protect individuals or if this is something that was blown up and can be discussed in a conversation with the staff. Is a transfer to another unit appropriate?

Trust me, I've had cadets accuse me of hating them. I've had cadets who claim I pulled them out of a position because of a personnel vendetta. My favorite was "I was too good of a First Sergeant, and he really wanted the job." Yeah, uh huh, I thought the First Sergeant was too good and needed to get pulled out. It couldn't be the fact that you're repeatedly shouting at the other cadets despite me correcting it and that you don't show up regularly. Seniors are also just as bad with those claims. Welcome to an organization of overstepping and drama.

If you need assistance, not advice, then we can definitely get you in contact with the appropriate people. I think your claims point to a need for help in this situation, not guidance as to how to handle it.

Like I said, people are going to need more details to best respond to this.

Eclipse

You are not anonymous - consider that before airing laundry.

Your best course is probably to just get on the phone with
your Commander and parents and discuss the issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on September 01, 2020, 04:28:00 PMYou are not anonymous - consider that before airing laundry.

Your best course is probably to just get on the phone with
your Commander and parents and discuss the issues.

Agreed. You have posted enough info on here to figure out your full name, rank, CAPID, and unit.

You have been given good and adequate advice. We are done here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret