PD Grandfather Clauses and TIG

Started by culpeper, August 26, 2020, 11:28:32 PM

culpeper

So, I've completed legacy Level II, and was recently promoted to 1LT per TIG.  I am completing legacy Level III the end of this month.  My question is are the TIG tied to these legacy PD levels also grandfathered in as well.  18 months as 1LT and 3 years as Captain?

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Starting in CAPR 40-1 CAP Senior Member Education and Training Program (formerly Professional Development)

Did you complete CLC prior to 4 Aug 2020? If yes, we continue.

Looks like you have until 4 Feb 2021 to complete Level III. So far, so good. You'd start the new program working on Level IV. So now you have the Grover Loening Aerospace Award / Level III.

Level III is the standard for promotion to Capt. The promotion process is in CAPR 35-5.

The changes in TIG were introduced in the last revision of this reg 22 Nov 2016. There is a grandfather clause in this revision but it states "The member's present date of grade must be prior to 11 August 2014 in order to be eligible for this grandfather clause."

So based on that and Figure 2 in the reg, you will be eligible for Capt 30 months from your date of rank for 1st Lt. So it's 2 1/2 years as Capt.

That's my take on it.

Imouttahere

Deleted. Answered by previous poster.

Eclipse

Are the Promotion and Professional development module(s) available to the average user?

I see they have been recently updated and it tells you exactly what you need.

"That Others May Zoom"

Anthony@CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on August 27, 2020, 02:56:54 AMAre the Promotion and Professional development module(s) available to the average user?

The new Professional Development module (called "Professional Levels") is available to all members. However, if you are trying to complete a level under the PD grandfather clause, it can't be used to check the status or submit completion - for grandfathered completions, they must still be done under the old PD Award Entry module, which is not available to all members. However, if you aren't going for something under the grandfather provision - it's is by far one of the most useful upgrades to e-services, and not only shows you your status but also allows you to submit items to be marked as complete. This module will only show you your progress towards completing a PD Level, and not the actual promotion that level would enable (the only difference being time in grade).

Promotions are still handled by the old Promotion module in the Membership System, which is not available to most members.

culpeper

Thank you, Phil et al...

If you look at CAPR 35-5, figure 2, you will see how TIG follows the different levels. Nothing has changed there other than Level 1 needs to complete new Level II, part 1 for 2LT.  So, yeah I get to complete legacy Level III this month but I got 30 months to go in TIG as 1LT no different than the new Level III.

I don't know why I thought it was 18 months as 1LT under legacy Level III.  I must of seen that on an older PD chart.  Got to be careful with Google searching I guess.

Eclipse

Quote from: culpeper on August 27, 2020, 02:22:25 PMI don't know why I thought it was 18 months as 1LT under legacy Level III.

That's what it used to be -

6 months to 2nd Lt.
1 Year to 1st Lt.
18 Months to Captain.
3 Years to Major.
4 Years to Lt Col.

An even 10 from zero to hero (vs. 13.5 now).

Certainly the intent here was to suppress the grades down to the company level for the typical
member who stays in 10 years or less, however that flush-out was going to take at least a decade
to normalize, and up until this year, CAP was about 4-years into that normalization.

However thanks to the current state of CAP, coupled with the changes to the PD ET program,
the next year or so is going to see an unprecedented number of FGO promotions due to the
limitations of the Staff Colleges and conference attendance being relieved via a browser tab.

I know of a number of people who have been promoted, or will be eligible for a click that they previously
thought they had no chance of making.

So that puts normalization back several years and probably won't work itself out in 10, and there
are sure to be any number of additional changes during that time time as well.

You can't blame NHQ for things out of its control, but you can see how making a logical argument about
the very existence of grade, or the way it's implemented, becomes more difficult for those on the humps
who get pushed back.  And that's especially troublesome right now when retention needs to get moved to the
forefront of all conversations.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

I think where you're going to have difficulties is in completing those special track ratings, particularly senior or master ratings.

The COVID-19 environment really caused a problem for people being able to hit their promotion criterion for advancing in a rating, such as Cadet Programs. 2020 was nearly impossible for most people to get those checks for Encampment and NCSAs. For other tracks, it may not be so easy to conduct some of the training elements that haven't been held virtually, or at least not widespread. Add in the lack of willingness by some individuals to go to any in-person activity still permissible under Remob due to the potential of exposure; although, that's a conscious choice.

While you'll see a lot of people able to grab use of the grandfather clause, I think you're going to see a lot of people who just aren't able to check off every box after being stuck at home. They're just going to delay out the promo.