Main Menu

Velcro BDUs

Started by Rodriguez, September 12, 2009, 03:36:10 AM

Hawk200

Quote from: Rodriguez on September 14, 2009, 01:57:00 AMNow as for wearing any of the other uniforms for extended amounts of time, no I haven't. However, I have a lot of friends in the military and at least the ones from the ARMY have a general consensus that the ACUs are pretty good. Yes. they have there issues.

No one can tell you what works best for you. Just because you're friends like it, doesn't mean you will (or does it?). You have to wear them for yourself.

I thought they were great for the first year that I wore them going to drills. Then I got deployed and wore them day in, day out for twelve and a half months. After the first month, I realized that I didn't care for them. So did many of the fellow soldiers that I worked alongside.

Some did still like them after the deployment was over, but the number was small. Others were indifferent, "It's just a uniform, I'll wear whatever they tell me." Overall, it requires first hand knowledge over a period of time.

Quote from: Rodriguez on September 14, 2009, 01:15:33 AMAt least of the military offerings (those being the ABU, ACU, NWU, and MARPAT).

There are no offerings here at all. If the Air Force permits us the ABU (which is currently believed), then that's what we'll wear. ACUs, NWU, and MCUUs are not an option with CAP's current climate. Any thoughts of wearing them are unrealistic.

I know all the military uniforms are "cool", but we have our own. Wear them with pride. If you keep wanting other ones, you'll never be satisfied.

PHall

Quote from: Rodriguez on September 14, 2009, 01:57:00 AMBut then again the absolute "PERFECT" utility uniform for CAP would probably be something more akin to a neon orange flight suit with pockets in every possible piece of surface area and glow in the dark name tapes and patches.

Why would this the "perfect" utility uniform for CAP? I don't need to glow in the dark when I'm at my weekly squadron meeting or even at encampment.

You want to be seen while you're doing ES stuff, then follow the regs and wear an orange vest like you're supposed to. (CAPM 39-1, Fig 2-17, Note 10)

Nick

A slight advantage I noted with the ACU's for the time I wore them was how "easy" it seemed to wear them.  Throw the jacket on, zip it up, slap the velcro flap in place.  Throw on the pants, one button and a zip, tuck in the pants, tie up the boots.  Done.  Try that with the BDU/ABU where you have six buttons on the shirt (four chest, two cuffs) and four buttons on the pants.  I also do like how light the material is.  Compared to the ABU, the ACU is like a pair of summer-weight pajamas.  Granted, if you ask the active duty Army types about that, their first response is that the material sucks so bad the uniforms fall apart after 6 months (of Army wear-and-tear), but for a once a week application, it may not be so bad.

I also like the idea (particularly with CAP, if we were to stock surplus uniforms for members, especially cadets) of the velcro name tags and ranks.  It certainly is more cost efficient than dealing with alterations for those uniforms that get recycled.

My vote?  ACU style uniform for CAP.  Does it have to be the ACU pattern?  No.  I really don't care about the pattern.  Heck, make it solid blue.  But, the velcro functionality is a definite winner, the material makes it comfortable to wear in hot weather (again, much more than the ABU), and the pockets everywhere are convenient.  This whole "inside chest pocket" on the ABU is horrible, and I have more pen slots between my ABU shirt and pants than I have actual pens.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Major Carrales

Quote from: McLarty on September 14, 2009, 04:08:11 AM
A slight advantage I noted with the ACU's for the time I wore them was how "easy" it seemed to wear them.  Throw the jacket on, zip it up, slap the velcro flap in place.  Throw on the pants, one button and a zip, tuck in the pants, tie up the boots.  Done.  Try that with the BDU/ABU where you have six buttons on the shirt (four chest, two cuffs) and four buttons on the pants.  I also do like how light the material is.  Compared to the ABU, the ACU is like a pair of summer-weight pajamas.  Granted, if you ask the active duty Army types about that, their first response is that the material sucks so bad the uniforms fall apart after 6 months (of Army wear-and-tear), but for a once a week application, it may not be so bad.

I also like the idea (particularly with CAP, if we were to stock surplus uniforms for members, especially cadets) of the velcro name tags and ranks.  It certainly is more cost efficient than dealing with alterations for those uniforms that get recycled.

My vote?  ACU style uniform for CAP.  Does it have to be the ACU pattern?  No.  I really don't care about the pattern.  Heck, make it solid blue.  But, the velcro functionality is a definite winner, the material makes it comfortable to wear in hot weather (again, much more than the ABU), and the pockets everywhere are convenient.  This whole "inside chest pocket" on the ABU is horrible, and I have more pen slots between my ABU shirt and pants than I have actual pens.

Imagine that, paying to have the velco sewn on once, then just replacing the rank insignias.  It could have lots of time and money.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 14, 2009, 04:12:38 AM

Imagine that, paying to have the velco sewn on once, then just replacing the rank insignias.  It could have lots of time and money.

Too bad we're not going to the ACU.

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on September 14, 2009, 05:04:16 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 14, 2009, 04:12:38 AM

Too bad we're not going to the ACU.

It has been my experience that CAP can go where ever it wants.  I will remind you that the jury is still out on all of this.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Cecil DP

The D of D has recently begun a study of the "utilty" uniforms worn by all the military. 4 services with 5different uniforms, materials, and 5 colors. You may eventually see one utility uniform for all the services. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

arajca

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 14, 2009, 05:27:29 AM
The D of D has recently begun a study of the "utilty" uniforms worn by all the military. 4 services with 5different uniforms, materials, and 5 colors. You may eventually see one utility uniform for all the services.
Flashbacks anyone..