Main Menu

Velcro BDUs

Started by Rodriguez, September 12, 2009, 03:36:10 AM

Rodriguez

I recently had this idea (though im not claiming it as my own, im sure its been done) to remove the buttons on the breast pockets of my BDU and sew on Velcro, to make something similar to the ACUs front pockets. Although I hate to see people with their grade velcro'd on. It actually came out very well (I did it on a pair of my old BDUs just in case, I didn't want to ruin my good set.). Now however Im considering doing it on my good pair that i use for both the field and local meetings. The velcro is COMPLETELY unnoticeable. You wouldn't  know it was there until I told you. Any thoughts, comments?
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

Hawk200

As long as you can't tell, there's really no problem.

Did you use it at points like the buttons, or as a complete strip? A strip would probably be the most effective.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Rodriguez on September 12, 2009, 03:36:10 AM
I recently had this idea (though im not claiming it as my own, im sure its been done) to remove the buttons on the breast pockets of my BDU and sew on Velcro, to make something similar to the ACUs front pockets. Although I hate to see people with their grade velcro'd on. It actually came out very well (I did it on a pair of my old BDUs just in case, I didn't want to ruin my good set.). Now however Im considering doing it on my good pair that i use for both the field and local meetings. The velcro is COMPLETELY unnoticeable. You wouldn't  know it was there until I told you. Any thoughts, comments?

A recent CAPTALK post about "sock color" (an unseen uniform article) got a bad reception from the populace...so stand by for possible treachery and flaming from various folks here.

That said, I have seen this done in CAP, especially with the pockets.  Some folks like to press their BDUs, usually after putting patches at the cleaners or to enter the field with the cleanest possible set (explained to me by a fellow who showed up in a set of BDUs that could stand on their own).  Some replace the pocket buttons with velcro to prevent the pressing process from cutting the the buttons into the pocket.

It is likely not allowed.  If it is noticeable, you will be called on it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 12, 2009, 03:44:57 AMIt is likely not allowed.  If it is noticeable, you will be called on it.

I don't know about it not being allowed. Velcro pockets were a common mod while I was active duty. Alterations had a board up with prices of alterations, and "Replace buttons with Velcro" was on there, and it was a pretty popular change.

I've been considering some mods on my BDU's. Done right, no one will ever know.

The biggest issue is that modifications can't change the appearance of the garment. In that, someone will definitely call you on it. I remember when someone here asked about adding a pencil pocket to the sleeve of a BDU. That is a mod that does change the appearance, and it isn't really in compliance with the pub.

billford1

If this gets out before long there'll be a BDU supplier that will offer the BDU hybrid that you invented. It'll be a shame you don't have a Patent on it.

Major Carrales

Quote from: billford1 on September 12, 2009, 04:51:29 AM
If this gets out before long there'll be a BDU supplier that will offer the BDU hybrid that you invented. Nothing wrong with being cool.

Its not a "cool" as it is "practical."  I may convert a pair of BDUs to this standard.  Hawk, PM me the jist of what you did to a pair so I might have the best chance at a professional appearance.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: billford1 on September 12, 2009, 04:51:29 AMIf this gets out before long there'll be a BDU supplier that will offer the BDU hybrid that you invented. It'll be a shame you don't have a Patent on it.

That mod has been done since before I went Active Air Force in 1988. It's nothing new.  I think there are a few places that you buy them modded in that manner, but they buy new BDU's and then change it. Since they purchased the BDUs, you pay for the clothes and the mod. It's not a practical sell when people can get it done themselves.

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 12, 2009, 04:53:58 AMI may convert a pair of BDUs to this standard.  Hawk, PM me the jist of what you did to a pair so I might have the best chance at a professional appearance.

Give me a few minutes, Sparky, I may have to retype a few times to get to make sure I get the idea across.

Another mod I did to my own BDUs while I was active was to put zippers in the pant's fly. Lot easier than fighting with buttons, and the only people that knew were the ones that might have heard the zipper when I was in the bathroom. (Not trying to be gross on that, it's just the only time anyone would know something was different.)

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 12, 2009, 04:53:58 AMHawk, PM me the jist of what you did to a pair so I might have the best chance at a professional appearance.

PM sent. And with that, it's bedtime for Bonzo.

isuhawkeye

I have been doing this mod for years.  velcro along with removing the bellows from the pocket make the uniform much more functional, and easier to keep looking sharp.

EMT-83

I replaced my buttons with velcro and found that it's a heck of a lot easier to get into the pockets. There's no "cool" factor, because no one can see it.

Pumbaa

But whjat happens when we are stalking in the woods, and have to open a pocket???

RRRrrrrrip!

Oh wait, we want those we are stalking to find us...

Never mind...

Airrace

PHall

About the only "downside" to this idea is the fact that you usually have to replace the velcro every 3 or 4 years because it tends to "lose it's grip".
(Washing machines and velcro don't play well together.)

And it's not that hard, or expensive to replace.

Rodriguez

Yeah I really didn't do it because of the "cool factor" I mean I don't even see one. I did it because many times its convenient to use the front pockets but its quite a pain with the buttons in the way.

Personally, I feel that the ACU is a perfect uniform for CAP. I mean obviously its an ARMY uniform so that rules it out right there, However practicality wise its perfect. Cadets change rank frequently so with the one Velcro patch on the chest its easy. Its quite light in it material so nice and cool. Lots of reasons why, but unfortunately its not an air force uniform so CAP wouldn't ever use it. However the blue BDU is a navy and coast guard uniform if im not mistaken
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

BGNightfall

The BBDU as CAP wears it is its own uniform.  The Navy's BBDU uniform, such as it is, is digital print, while the Coast Guard's version does not have lower pockets.

So now you know.  And knowing is half the battle.

Oh!  And the velcro is a pretty good idea... I may be utilizing it myself.  :)

Hawk200

Quote from: Rodriguez on September 12, 2009, 08:52:37 PMPersonally, I feel that the ACU is a perfect uniform for CAP. I mean obviously its an ARMY uniform so that rules it out right there, However practicality wise its perfect.

Uh, have you ever worn ACU's long term? They are not the be-all, end-all of utilities. Half the time I put up with them, the other half I was wishing I had BDU's.

The ABU is little more than a modded BDU. Sleeve pencil pocket, and calf pockets are the only difference in the pattern. The camo is new, but that is really irrelevant to the wearability. Now if they could only get them in general sizes (such as Small Short, Medium Regular, Large Long, etc.) they would be close to perfect. The only thing left after that is a better material.

Rodriguez

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 13, 2009, 01:16:30 AM
Quote from: Rodriguez on September 12, 2009, 08:52:37 PMPersonally, I feel that the ACU is a perfect uniform for CAP. I mean obviously its an ARMY uniform so that rules it out right there, However practicality wise its perfect.

Uh, have you ever worn ACU's long term? They are not the be-all, end-all of utilities. Half the time I put up with them, the other half I was wishing I had BDU's.

The ABU is little more than a modded BDU. Sleeve pencil pocket, and calf pockets are the only difference in the pattern. The camo is new, but that is really irrelevant to the wearability. Now if they could only get them in general sizes (such as Small Short, Medium Regular, Large Long, etc.) they would be close to perfect. The only thing left after that is a better material.

Sure the ACU has its problems but I still find it to be the best uniform for CAP. At least of the military offerings (those being the ABU, ACU, NWU, and MARPAT).

DC

Quote from: Rodriguez on September 14, 2009, 01:15:33 AM

Sure the ACU has its problems but I still find it to be the best uniform for CAP. At least of the military offerings (those being the ABU, ACU, NWU, and MARPAT).
Again, how would you know? Have you worn any of those uniforms for any period?

What about ACUs distinguishes them from the uniform of our parent service, which we will adopt in the next few years in all likelihood, or the BDUs that we wear now?

Rodriguez

Quote from: DC on September 14, 2009, 01:20:49 AM
Quote from: Rodriguez on September 14, 2009, 01:15:33 AM

Again, how would you know? Have you worn any of those uniforms for any period?

What about ACUs distinguishes them from the uniform of our parent service, which we will adopt in the next few years in all likelihood, or the BDUs that we wear now?

Well obviously ive been wearing BDUs for quite a while and they have their problems. But principally, the lack of availability is the issue I have. Sure, you could go to a surplus or online and get either a used Govt. issue or even worse an impostor brand. Yes, alot of that comes down to personal my preference, but the fact is its getting harder and harder to get a good set of BDUs.

Now as for wearing any of the other uniforms for extended amounts of time, no I haven't. However, I have a lot of friends in the military and at least the ones from the ARMY have a general consensus that the ACUs are pretty good. Yes. they have there issues. But then again the absolute "PERFECT" utility uniform for CAP would probably be something more akin to a neon orange flight suit with pockets in every possible piece of surface area and glow in the dark name tapes and patches.