Vintage style DSM

Started by James Shaw, November 18, 2008, 02:06:06 PM

James Shaw

Ever seen one of these? Original design of the Distinguished Service Medal. Anyone have one in their collection?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

ColonelJack

I don't have one of those, but I do have an original-design Meritorious Service miniature medal and the first design of the Commander's Commendation mini-medal.

I always wondered why the design of the DSM, ESA, MSA, and CCA were changed.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

James Shaw

If you ever decide to part with them I know a great foundation that would love to have them.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Cecil DP

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 18, 2008, 04:05:37 PM
I don't have one of those, but I do have an original-design Meritorious Service miniature medal and the first design of the Commander's Commendation mini-medal.

I always wondered why the design of the DSM, ESA, MSA, and CCA were changed.

Jack

I think they were changed because "Decorations" are traditionally shaped, while service medals are round.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

BuckeyeDEJ

OK, do you have a photo of the old planchets? Let's see 'em!

The current Commander's Commendation Award planchet is ugly. It's reminiscent of the old Wilson ribbon or some of the other Mickey Mouse ribbons. Maybe seeing the old one will make me feel better?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.