Main Menu

VFW Cadet Awards

Started by DJ Light Chop, October 29, 2016, 04:25:28 PM

DJ Light Chop

I was curious if anyone has experience with these.  There's a couple of cadets I'd like to nominate for the NCO and Ofc. awards.  I'm reading the regulations and it says to fill out the award nomination and send them to group and to the VFW.  But looking online I see that VFW charges for the medals and certificates.  Would I have to order them at the same time I submit the papers, or do they simply send them along with an invoice or what?

Thanks.

kwe1009

What does your squadron commander say about this?  I would recommending having a talk with your commander before asking a lot of questions here.  To answer your question your unit commander decides who, if anyone in your unit, will get this award.  He/she will then send a CAPF120 to VFW, Group, Wing showing the selection and why.  This is a squadron level award only so the decision on who gets it stays in the squadron.  Your unit can either purchase the certificate/medals from the VFW or many VFW posts will provide them.  If this award is to be given, I would highly recommend that your unit CC talk to any nearby VFW posts about getting the certificate/medals and also presenting the award. 

The same goes for the AFA and AFSA awards.  Get those organizations involved in presenting them in your unit.

AdAstra

Over the several years that I've nominated cadets, each of the three organizations always mailed us the certificate, medal and letter. I suspect that the medals you see for sale at the VFW website are to replace lost medals.
Charles Wiest

DJ Light Chop

TheSkyHornet

The VFW provided the award to us to distribute last year; I can't speak for previous years. But we didn't have any issues with them or AFA.