Veterans Day uniform wear?

Started by C/SrA Ravlin, October 30, 2015, 12:23:56 AM

C/SrA Ravlin

Hi all,
I heard this week that you can wear your blues or BDU uniform on a few certain days out of the year and that Veterans Day is one of them. Is this true?
Thanks in advance,
C/ARMN Ravlin.
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: C/ARMN Ravlin on October 30, 2015, 12:23:56 AM
Hi all,
I heard this week that you can wear your blues or BDU uniform on a few certain days out of the year and that Veterans Day is one of them. Is this true?
Thanks in advance,
C/ARMN Ravlin.

Only with your squadron commander's permission.  And if you do receive permission to wear it, wear it properly.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Storm Chaser

Here's the direct quote from CAPM 39-1:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Para. 1.2.4.3.
CAP members attending a military or civilian event representing CAP must determine whether wear of the uniform is appropriate, must obtain their commander's permission to attend the event in uniform, and must wear the uniform most appropriate to the situation based on formality and the commander's direction.

As a side not, the correct abbreviation for Cadet Airman is C/Amn (CAPP 151).

MSG Mac

Talk to your Squadron Commander about wear of the uniform on any occasion that's not a meeting day.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JK657

My question is why would you want to?

Are you doing it to honor veterans or to honor yourself?

kwe1009

Please review CAPR 39-1 1.2.4 and 1.2.7 .  If it is not a CAP event or you are not representing CAP in an official capacity then you are NOT authorized to wear the uniform no matter what your commander may say.  Your squadron commander can't authorize you to wear it if it violates 39-1.

Unless you are actually in the military, a vet, or are in an official CAP role, you should never wear the uniform on military related holidays.  I will put JROTC and ROTC in that category as well.  Cadets (CAP, JROTC, ROTC) are not part of the military and it simply looks like you are trying to benefit from the extra attention.

If you want to honor the military on Veteran's Day or any other day, go visit a VA hospital or VFW/American Legion and thank those men and women for their service and sacrifices.  That will mean more than wearing a CAP uniform any day.

lordmonar

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 30, 2015, 04:40:08 PM
Please review CAPR 39-1 1.2.4 and 1.2.7 .  If it is not a CAP event or you are not representing CAP in an official capacity then you are NOT authorized to wear the uniform no matter what your commander may say.  Your squadron commander can't authorize you to wear it if it violates 39-1.
Be careful with telling C/Amn to ignore the lawful orders of their commanders.   And yes squadron commanders can order you to violate regulations.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on October 30, 2015, 05:05:51 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on October 30, 2015, 04:40:08 PM
Be careful with telling C/Amn to ignore the lawful orders of their commanders.   And yes squadron commanders can order you to violate regulations.

In this particular case, the commander is not ordering this cadet to do anything. The cadet is the one who wants to, presumably, ask for permission to wear his uniform.

And for the record, a commander's authority derives from the regulations, so it cannot be above them. We're not required to blindly obey our commander's orders. If a commander willfully violates a regulation, except under certain conditions such as safety, the commander himself is disobeying an order from the National Commander, who approves every regulation.

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 30, 2015, 06:10:58 PM
In this particular case, the commander is not ordering this cadet to do anything. The cadet is the one who wants to, presumably, ask for permission to wear his uniform.
In this particular case it was some random CAPTALKer telling some random CAP Cadet what that cadet's commander could or could not authorize...i.e. order.   

Chain of command.

QuoteAnd for the record, a commander's authority derives from the regulations, so it cannot be above them. We're not required to blindly obey our commander's orders. If a commander willfully violates a regulation, except under certain conditions such as safety, the commander himself is disobeying an order from the National Commander, who approves every regulation.
Just like we don't blindly follow orders neither should we blindly follow the regulations....which are simply printed orders.  Ergo....your whole line of reasoning breaks down.   There are times and places when we need to not follow orders.    We appoint leaders in positions of authority to interpret those orders and make the decision on when and where to disregard them.   When a member has received conflicting orders the default fall back is to follow the chain of command to resolve them.

So in this case.....where Random Squadron Commander says "Everyone wear your uniforms to school for veterans day" it is improper for random CAP-TALKER to tell said cadet to ignore that authorization.   It is proper to point out to the commander what you think the reg actually says.  It is proper to notify the commander's chain of command of what is going on.  It is proper to contact the IG.   It is improper to undermine the authority of the commander and countermand his/her orders...unless you are in that commander's chain of command.

Here ends the the lesson.

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on October 30, 2015, 06:22:32 PM
In this particular case it was some random CAPTALKer telling some random CAP Cadet what that cadet's commander could or could not authorize...i.e. order.   

Chain of command.

QuoteAnd for the record, a commander's authority derives from the regulations, so it cannot be above them. We're not required to blindly obey our commander's orders. If a commander willfully violates a regulation, except under certain conditions such as safety, the commander himself is disobeying an order from the National Commander, who approves every regulation.
Just like we don't blindly follow orders neither should we blindly follow the regulations....which are simply printed orders.  Ergo....your whole line of reasoning breaks down.   There are times and places when we need to not follow orders.    We appoint leaders in positions of authority to interpret those orders and make the decision on when and where to disregard them.   When a member has received conflicting orders the default fall back is to follow the chain of command to resolve them.

So in this case.....where Random Squadron Commander says "Everyone wear your uniforms to school for veterans day" it is improper for random CAP-TALKER to tell said cadet to ignore that authorization.   It is proper to point out to the commander what you think the reg actually says.  It is proper to notify the commander's chain of command of what is going on.  It is proper to contact the IG.   It is improper to undermine the authority of the commander and countermand his/her orders...unless you are in that commander's chain of command.

*raises hand*

Does that apply for when we get teh digitalz?  ::)
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 30, 2015, 06:44:41 PM

*raises hand*

Does that apply for when we get teh digitalz?  ::)
10 points from Griffendor!

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on October 30, 2015, 06:22:32 PM

Chain of command.

It's also improper to tell random cadets (or senior members for that matter) that a "squadron commander can order you to violate regulations."

Remember, not everyone who reads these boards understands or can make the distinction. Other than that, your explanation above is reasonable.

lordmonar

How is it improper to explain to our young cadets the true nature of our system of leadership?

Are you telling me it is proper to lie to my cadets?  :)

Garibaldi

Quote from: lordmonar on October 30, 2015, 07:17:27 PM
How is it improper to explain to our young cadets the true nature of our system of leadership?

A cadet shall not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate them among their peers. It says nothing about Senior Members.

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 30, 2015, 07:19:52 PM

A cadet shall not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate them among their peers. It says nothing about Senior Members.
10 more points from Griffendor and you now have detention in the Forbidden Forest!

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: lordmonar on October 30, 2015, 07:21:16 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on October 30, 2015, 07:19:52 PM

10 more points from Griffendor and you now have detention in the Forbidden Forest!

Spam

Dangit, Garibaldi, thanks a lot!  Now I have to get the woodland camo invisibility cloak out and the EF Johnson time piece and go back to fix this, or we lose our Quality Cadet Unit Award and He Who Shall Not Be Named will return as National Commander.

Jeez....

V/R
Spam

Garibaldi

You could just suspend my OPSQUALS and take away my pointy stick

Storm Chaser

Now you're just trolling.

Ask your commander = Good
Follow your chain of command = Good
Listen to/obey your commander = Good
Your commander can order you to violate the regulations = Bad

How you say things is as important as what you say.

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 30, 2015, 07:42:25 PM

Now you're just trolling.

Ask your commander = Good
Follow your chain of command = Good
Listen to/obey your commander = Good
Your commander can order you to violate the regulations = Bad
But "Your commander can order you to violate the regulations" is a true statement.
How is telling them that fact bad?

Sure...we got to put it into proper context.......sure we always put in the caveat about using experience, command intention, mission vs regs, safety, legal orders vs order against regulations.

But to say "you should not say such things" is not educating our cadets on the proper use of authority and leadership.