Armed Forces decorations on CAP uniforms

Started by DrewBirds, June 26, 2015, 11:01:32 PM

Flying Pig

The army is out of freakin control with the bling.    When I swtiched from the Marines to the Army I couldn't get over the sheer number of pins I had to put on.

DrewBirds

There's a ribbon for everything in the Army. Most of the awards I have on my DD214 are given to everyone just for showing up. But yes tons of bling.

raivo

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 27, 2015, 12:35:20 AMWings etc. Can be worn on BDU's, but need to be on an ultramarine background and are a bit hard to come by.

My USAF badges aren't CAP-colored, and nobody's said anything...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Sapper168

Quote from: raivo on June 29, 2015, 12:51:38 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on June 27, 2015, 12:35:20 AMWings etc. Can be worn on BDU's, but need to be on an ultramarine background and are a bit hard to come by.

My USAF badges aren't CAP-colored, and nobody's said anything...

That is because subdued military badges are totally within the regs and have been as long as I have been in CAP.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Al Sayre

CAPM 39-1, Para 5.1.1.3.10. Military Badges. US military badges authorized by AFI 36-2903 for
wear on the USAF-style uniform may be worn when earned through qualification, awarded by competent
authority for service performed in any branch of the armed forces of the United States or its allies, AND
authorized for wear on the USAF uniform by AFI 36-2903. Military badges will be placed in accordance
with AFI 36-2903 and count towards the maximum of four badges worn on the uniform. USAF missile
or excellence-in-competition badges are worn on the wearer's left, and may be sewn to the shirt centered
on the lower left portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and
pocket of BDU shirt, unless a CAP service badge must be worn in this position. Military badges on the
BDUs may be worn in subdued colors as previously authorized by the Air Force for the BDUs if they
cannot be obtained in ultramarine fabric.
(bold mine)

Not convenient to get does not equal not obtainable...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Luis R. Ramos

I was not answering about the new uniform. I replied to your post stating the Army was wearing black in the 1865.

Although I myself like green for the Army, the Army only wore Green since 1941, and Olive Drab after 1905 or so.

However for most of its history the US Army has worn Dark Blues! In the Revolutionary War, most regulars wore Dark Blue. Some wore Forest Green, I think soldiers from Vermont. Irregulars wore different colors. In the Mexican American War, again it was Dark Blue. It was that way all the way through the Spanish-American War.

The color of the Infantry Arm is Blue, not green.

So that was seen by the leadership, I guess.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 29, 2015, 12:42:05 PM
Some wore Forest Green, I think soldiers from Vermont.

Forest Green was worn by Hiram Berdan's Union sharpshooters.

During the Civil War, although it is commonly taught that North wore blue and the South grey, that was not really the case.  During the early part of the war, uniforms were not standardized.  You had some North wearing grey and blue while the South wore grey and butternut.  Then each state had their own uniform colors.  Interestingly, the Grey that the South did eventually start wearing was modeled off of the US Military Academy's cadet grey. 

Luis R. Ramos

I knew those slight nuances, but forgot. For purposes of keeping this flowing, I chose not to go on specifics otherwise it would have been a long list as there were a lot of variations over the years so I decided to present just generalities.

I mentioned that Forest Green was worn by Revolutionary War soldiers, but you replied that Union Sharpshooters wore Forest Green. Different conflicts. Different wars.

Or should we also start talking about the Civil War Zouaves and their different uniforms? There were Zouaves on both sides...
Squadron Safety Officer

MSG Mac

I think this horse I'd dead, Quit Beating It!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Luis R. Ramos

At the risk of running the wrath of all ye for doing this, Rev War uniforms see http://www.history-of-american-wars.com/Revolutionary-War-Uniforms.html

And you can also find several other websites dedicated to the color with changes.
Squadron Safety Officer

THRAWN

Are we actually still engaged in a uniform thread started by a nonmember concerning a uniform that very few of us even wear? It is clear the OP does not know his history with regard to the uniform in question. Since that has nothing to do with us, I am with MSG Mac. It is dead. Move on.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

DrewBirds

Quote from: THRAWN on June 29, 2015, 03:38:16 PM
Are we actually still engaged in a uniform thread started by a nonmember concerning a uniform that very few of us even wear?
Exactly very few.
I was half right. It does indeed have its roots in the Civil War just look at the thing. If I offended by starting the conversation then I apologize.

DrewBirds

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 29, 2015, 12:42:05 PM
I was not answering about the new uniform. I replied to your post stating the Army was wearing black in the 1865.

Although I myself like green for the Army, the Army only wore Green since 1941, and Olive Drab after 1905 or so.

However for most of its history the US Army has worn Dark Blues! In the Revolutionary War, most regulars wore Dark Blue. Some wore Forest Green, I think soldiers from Vermont. Irregulars wore different colors. In the Mexican American War, again it was Dark Blue. It was that way all the way through the Spanish-American War.

The color of the Infantry Arm is Blue, not green.

So that was seen by the leadership, I guess.
Yeah I realized that after reading the other posts. I thought you were referring to current things. Either way interesting history thanks for posting the links.

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on June 29, 2015, 02:09:23 PM
I mentioned that Forest Green was worn by Revolutionary War soldiers,

That you did.  Apparently all of this Civil War talk is causing me to read Civil War instead of [insert war] War talk.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret