Main Menu

VANGUARD website

Started by Sarge, April 10, 2007, 06:40:53 AM

RogueLeader

Quote from: LtCol White on April 10, 2007, 07:58:58 PM
Quote from: Pylon on April 10, 2007, 07:55:52 PM
And while they're working on taking photos of items that haven't had one in the last year, maybe someone could teach them how to make a thumbnail image properly??   ::)

The proper way does not involve taking a 1:1.5 or 1:2 ratio rectangular image and smashing that into a 1:1 square thumbnail.   :P

You mean like the new Photo ID's??  ;D
Or the 101 cards?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 10, 2007, 07:38:12 PM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 10, 2007, 07:35:13 PM
Quote from: alamrcn on April 10, 2007, 07:18:25 PM
HEY, did you see this?!!  I can't believe we're finally going to get to wear them...

You better get to Vanguard's CAP website now so you can be added to the Back/Order list, and if they come you'll get one!  :P

Hey, that's the new OPSEC/INFOSEC Speciality Badge! Sweet!  ;D

Quote from: alamrcn on April 10, 2007, 07:18:25 PM
...and can they get that stupid animation off the front page?!  >:(

No kidding, at least put up a Java based Tank game! Hehehe.
Hey!  at least the tank game was fun to play, instead of Vangaurd's site.  what is Vanguard the vanguard of anyway?  Lousy service with a lousy website?

I ordered one of those... it didn't fit.

brasda91

Quote from: Stonewall on April 10, 2007, 05:48:03 PM
I miss the bookstore catalog.  I miss having a catalog I could throw in my bag and look at in class, at work, on the jon, or wherever and be able to get an idea of pricing

Aaaamen!  Those were the days.  I was just thinking the same thing yesterday.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JC004

Quote from: brasda91 on April 12, 2007, 04:12:16 PM
I miss the bookstore catalog.  I miss having a catalog I could throw in my bag and look at in class, at work, on the jon, or wherever and be able to get an idea of pricing

I'm sure we could get a catalog from Vanguard.  HOWEVER, it would cost $5, plus $7 shipping.  Aaaaand it would take 3 months to arrive.

stillamarine

Quote from: JC004 on April 12, 2007, 04:29:30 PM

I'm sure we could get a catalog from Vanguard.  HOWEVER, it would cost $5, plus $7 shipping.  Aaaaand it would take 3 months to arrive.

With no pictures of course!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RogueLeader

After four calls to check on it's status, being told that it was back-ordered, then to be told that it was never back-ordered and it was a computer glitch.  Finally, you decide to cancele, and want your money back- they send it
<true story on getting an AF Blue shirt>
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Phillip

Here's the cover of that catalog:
Captain

RogueLeader

Quote from: Phillip on April 12, 2007, 04:36:14 PM

And every other page- except where to send the money to.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 12, 2007, 04:38:26 PM
Quote from: Phillip on April 12, 2007, 04:36:14 PM

And every other page- except where to send the money to.

lol    :D  >:D  So true.

dwb

I recently had the need to purchase some new rank insignia, so I decided to order from Vanguard.  I also had to get some nametapes/plates for other members of my squadron, which helped me to justify the shipping cost.

Something I've noticed is that the search box is your friend.  Couldn't find the grey epaulets, or the blazer nameplate, without it.  Once I stopped trying to browse the categories, and just searched for every item I needed, life was good.

Interestingly, the picture for the Major epaulets is actually the velcro Major epaulets, though none of the other velcro epaulets (including Major) have pictures next to them.  Also, the other regular epaulets all have the correct pictures.

In short, their site still needs a lot of work.  Not sure how much revenue they get from us, and whether it's worth their while to take pictures of the 200 items that are missing pictures.  Time will tell, I suppose.

JC004

Quote from: justin_bailey on April 12, 2007, 07:35:42 PM
Something I've noticed is that the search box is your friend.  Couldn't find the grey epaulets, or the blazer nameplate, without it.  Once I stopped trying to browse the categories, and just searched for every item I needed, life was good.

Yea...epaulets (grey) are under Mess Dress.   >:(

jimmydeanno

They'll still send you a CAPMART catalog, they still have thousands...all the item numbers are the same, I used to live down the street from Vanguard when they started supplying us.  I'd just walk in and they'd pick the stuff off the shelves for me, if I needed embroidery, they'd do it same day for me.  Never any issues, except they only stock the incorrect size of the NH Wing patch... But now that I moved, I use the hock.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 12, 2007, 08:18:15 PM
They'll still send you a CAPMART catalog, they still have thousands...all the item numbers are the same, I used to live down the street from Vanguard when they started supplying us.  I'd just walk in and they'd pick the stuff off the shelves for me, if I needed embroidery, they'd do it same day for me.  Never any issues, except they only stock the incorrect size of the NH Wing patch... But now that I moved, I use the hock.

There's something to be said for going to them and making them do it then and there.   :)

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 12, 2007, 08:25:39 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 12, 2007, 08:18:15 PM

There's something to be said for going to them and making them do it then and there.   :)
Too bad you don't still live there, and we could go through you, for say an extra 5% plus acttuall shiping and handeling, not the $7 for a ribbon deal.  Oh well.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LTC_Gadget

Hey,
I wonder if this'll work.

Someone in some thread here had the name of a POC @ Vanguard, with an email address.

There's more of us than there are of them, obviously.  And we have a more pressing and genuine desire to see the 'no picture' situation rectified than do they.

How 'bout we figure out the optimal image size for pictures of items on the Vanguard site.  Then, if you have an item for which there is no pic on the website, you take a digital picture of it, (grey background?) adjust it to the "standard" size that they're using for their images, and email the picture to the Vanguard POC.  Tell 'em, to use it with your compliments.

Ok, that was the brainstorm.  Now tell me why it won't work..

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

JC004

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 13, 2007, 06:18:56 PM
Hey,
I wonder if this'll work.

Someone in some thread here had the name of a POC @ Vanguard, with an email address.

There's more of us than there are of them, obviously.  And we have a more pressing and genuine desire to see the 'no picture' situation rectified than do they.

How 'bout we figure out the optimal image size for pictures of items on the Vanguard site.  Then, if you have an item for which there is no pic on the website, you take a digital picture of it, (grey background?) adjust it to the "standard" size that they're using for their images, and email the picture to the Vanguard POC.  Tell 'em, to use it with your compliments.

Ok, that was the brainstorm.  Now tell me why it won't work..

V/R,

They told me they're working on their site...not sure if that will include new pictures, or simply replace ALL pictures with the infamous placeholder.  BUT, if they can't seem to take pictures with a digital camera, I don't see why we couldn't do it just so our members can see the items. 

Request for whoever from Black Van HQ is watching...Vanguard should have a section on the site for new items as they come out.

Sgt. Savage

You know, they wouldn't have so many pictures to do if they would stop listing every single size of every single item seperately. Haven't they ever hear of drop down menus?

JC004

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 13, 2007, 06:28:21 PM
You know, they wouldn't have so many pictures to do if they would stop listing every single size of every single item seperately. Haven't they ever hear of drop down menus?

From what I gather looking at the rest of the site, they haven't heard of much.   >:D

Al Sayre

We had a presentation from Susan Easter at the MS Wing Conference, part of that covered Vanguard.  The crux:

They are aware of the problems and are doing what they can to fix them.

If you are only ordering a couple of items like ribbons, call them on the phone to order and they will reduce the shipping charges.

The money that NHQ is getting from Vanguard is going into a fund to pay for regional training bases. (These new training bases are also part of the objective of the Wing Banker Program)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jayleswo

I called a few weeks ago to order a couple of things on the phone after reading here that they would reduce the shipping charges and they knew nothing about that.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982