Vanguard/iPad case-NG

Started by RwyX, February 28, 2013, 06:16:26 PM

RwyX

The iPad case was on sale for $15 and had the cool emblem so I thought I'd try it.  Arrived today.  The fit is very sloppy so that when you stand it up to view on your desk the iPad screen slides down behind the border and you lose the ability to activate certain touch areas.  Also when you close the cover, there is no magnetic switch and the display stays on.  Good way to kill the battery. 

I called Vanguard.  They will issue a Return Authorization.  I pay return shipping and a 15% restocking fee.  Can't wait for Amex to work on this one.

Eclipse

That's a case for an iPad 1 which was thicker and had no smart cover.

"That Others May Zoom"

N Harmon

In his defense, the product description says "Fits both iPad I and II".
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

JoeTomasone

No case can possibly fit both the original iPad and the iPad 2 properly.   Vastly different form factors (from a case perspective).

JeffDG

Now on the Vanguard site it says "Not Returnable"  >:(

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 28, 2013, 07:06:56 PM

No case can possibly fit both the original iPad and the iPad 2 properly.   Vastly different form factors (from a case perspective).

+1 - Interesting - it's listed under "New Items", but then has a 50% off price cut and says it's not returnable.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yes, the iPad 2 just happens to "fit" in a case that is designed for the original, but it's like you wearing pants a couple inches too big.

If you have an iPad 2 or 3 and that didn't say "2 or 3" on when you got it, they have the upper hand on you, but if you have an iPad 2, and it did say that .. you can claim it's mis-labeled.

Woodsy

Quote from: a2capt on February 28, 2013, 08:49:24 PM
Yes, the iPad 2 just happens to "fit" in a case that is designed for the original, but it's like you wearing pants a couple inches too big.

I guess that depends on your definition of "fits."  I could "fit" my size 10 foot in a size 15 combat boot, but that doesn't mean a size 15 "fits" me.  I'd dang sure raise an issue if a retailer sent me something that says "fits size 10" that also "fits" a size 15.  This seems like the same type issue to me. 

RwyX

'Fits' implies functionality. Just ask Attorney Johnnie Cochran.   The Vanguard ad said the case "fits both iPad I and II ".  I have an iPad II.  It is not a fit that is functional.  The ad also says "not returnable", however I received my Return Authorization from Vanguard via email today.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-ipad-case-with-cap-logo-p-15522.html

High Speed Low Drag

I ordered same last fall.  I got mine and realized the same thing, so I put some soft foam in the bottom and it works beautifully.  The case did its' job and saved the IPad 2 when I dropped it last week.  Broke the exterior left side straps, but not the cloth interior straps (which were on the bottom of the fall), but saved the IPad (whihc is good because it is work's IPad, not mine). I also really like the angle it sets it up for the dipslay when on the desktop.  All in all - I am happy with mine,  I'm getting ready (due to that breakage) to order another one and I will be putting my new IPad 3 in there.  Do I wish it fit better?  Yeah, but until they come out with one that fits the IPad 3, I'll be using this one.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

a2capt

I have an original iPad still, someone got me one of these cases, it fits snug, where I can see the 2 would slide around a little, but nothing a sheet of meat tray or such wouldn't fix it. It's got the camera holes for that device, and otherwise presents a nice image.

I can't believe how much I use that device, it's practically negated the MacBook in a lot of ways, with regards to regulation lookup, quick eServices drive-by's, etc. I'd have never figured. But between that and the iPhone 4 being used as just another device.. handy camera when needed, able to send a message in a single bound ..  makes things much more efficient.

Mustang

Silly people buying stuff from Vanguard..... When will you learn???
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Devil Doc

Whew good thing I have a Droid, Beats Iphone hands down.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

PHall

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 30, 2013, 01:15:17 AM

I got a 30% employee discount on my iPhone. Your Droid can't match that! >:D

Devil Doc

Quote from: PHall on April 30, 2013, 04:04:25 AM

True :(
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Which means you only paid 20% too much.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on April 30, 2013, 03:14:32 PM

Which means you only paid 20% too much.

The 50% off my bill every month don't hurt either. >:D

I like doing stuff that makes my employer money. More dividends for my 401K! And they'll be around to pay my pension too! ;)