Venture Crew Patch Placement

Started by C/Arose, October 30, 2012, 03:42:43 PM

C/Arose

Hi all,

My Wing Ground Team Training School has recently dual chartered with the BSA Venturing Crew program, and recieved shiny new patches for our BDUs.

CAPR 52-16 has only this to say about them:

Quote from: CAPR 52-16c. Uniform.   Dual chartered members are authorized to wear the Venturing Patch or the
Aviation Exploring Patch as appropriate, in place of the organizational emblem on the BDU uniform
(see CAPM 39-1).

That is only vaguely helpful. Does this mean that I can only put the Venturing Patch to replace my Wing patch? It would make more sense in my mind for it to be worn like an NCSA patch (IE on the pocket opposing the squadron patch) but I could easily be wrong.

Thank you,

C/SSgt Rose
NER-NH-010
C/CMSgt Alex L. Rose
Seacoast Composite Squadron

RogueLeader

Is your Wing Ground Team Training School chartered in CAP as a unit or is it run by the wing?  If it is a separate chartered unit, and the wing patch optional, yes you would wear that in place of the wing patch.  If it is a school run by the wing (not a chartered unit,) or the wing patch mandated, no you can not wear the Venture patch. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

C/Arose

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 30, 2012, 03:50:36 PM
Is your Wing Ground Team Training School chartered in CAP as a unit or is it run by the wing?  If it is a separate chartered unit, and the wing patch optional, yes you would wear that in place of the wing patch.  If it is a school run by the wing (not a chartered unit,) or the wing patch mandated, no you can not wear the Venture patch.

The GTTS is Wing level, encompassing cadets from multiple squadrons. However, I do not believe our Wing patches are expressly required.
C/CMSgt Alex L. Rose
Seacoast Composite Squadron

Eclipse

52-16 directs you to refer to 39-1, which specifies the location.  See page 112.
"centered below the pocket flap on the right breast pocket of the BDU or field uniform shirt or BDU or dark blue field jacket. "
It would be worn in place of your unit insignia on the pocket, not in place of the wing patch.

Howerver, this situation, does not appear to fit this scenario however.   If your wing has made up it's own Ground Training School, it is highly unlikely
it has its own charter, and it sis more unlikely that it is a "dual-chartered" situation in the way the regs indicate.  You have likely been issued a
patch which would be worn as a special activity patch, assuming the wing publishes a properly approved supplement.

Regardless, you can only be assigned to one unit.  Assuming NER-NH-010 isn't dual-chartered, then I don't know where or if you can
wear this patch, since that's the only way you could be assigned to a dual-chartered unit.  Attending an activity is not the same as your unit of assignment.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

From a BSA perspective.....the chartered organisation can be the wing, group or unit......they don't care about the CAP side of the organisation.

I would say that the venture patch goes where your unit patch normally goes.

Otherwise....I would ask wing what they think.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

I can't imagine even putting a Venture Crew, or for that matter, any other organizations' emblem where I have the opportunity to place my own organizations emblem, on it's uniform.

Especially in a place that is associated with your home unit, or it's headquarters.

Eclipse

I'd have to agree.  A wing SAR school is just a single activity, shared with someone else or not.

If anything, the wing should supplement 39-1 so their patch can be worn inside the wing on the left side with other activities.

"That Others May Zoom"