Main Menu

Vanguard?

Started by Rocketguy, February 04, 2012, 05:47:32 AM

Woodsy

Quote from: Thrashed on February 11, 2012, 02:52:52 PM
Never had a problem with Vanguard. Their prices are fine too, higher than Hock, but twice the quality. Plus, part of the money Vanguard gets is donated right back to the CAP. That's a good thing. I do wonder why Vanguard doesn't sell certain things (service jacket, etc).

Never heard of Ultrathins, but their prices are more than double that of Vanguard. No thanks.

They charge over $40 for a short sleeve blues shirt that sells for about $15 at the exchange.  That's ok?

I don't care how much of it they donate back to CAP.  I donate enough money to CAP already. 

a2capt

No, they charge over $40 for a shirt that sells for .... *over $40* at the exchange.

It's not the same item.

The AAFES/MCSS sells the ploy wool ver$ion and the DSCP "issue" version.

Guess which one Vanguard doesn't have :)

Woodsy

Quote from: a2capt on March 01, 2012, 02:27:33 AM
No, they charge over $40 for a shirt that sells for .... *over $40* at the exchange.

It's not the same item.

Sir, that is incorrect.  It may have been true once upon a time (I don't know) but no longer.  I have purchased the $40 Vanguard shirt and the $15 exchange shirt, and they are identical in every way, down to the numbers on the tag sewn inside. 

lordmonar

Quote from: Woodsy on March 01, 2012, 09:42:37 AM
Quote from: a2capt on March 01, 2012, 02:27:33 AM

It's not the same item.

Sir, that is incorrect.  It may have been true once upon a time (I don't know) but no longer.  I have purchased the $40 Vanguard shirt and the $15 exchange shirt, and they are identical in every way, down to the numbers on the tag sewn inside.
Have you found the secret yet?

Vanguard is not a UNIFORM CLOTHING SALES office.
They make and sell insigina.
They sell the uniform items that you are supposed to be buying from AAFES as a service.....a for profit service.
If you want cheap...call AAFES and order it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

a2capt

..and then their web site is grossly wrong, because the photo is by eyeball to me, the poly-wool variety, the stitch count is slightly different, and the tone of the blue is slightly more vivid when they're new. But the best part is the text in the description says exactly "This item is made from a blend of 65% polyester and 35% cotton." and that is NOT the AAFES issue shirt. I'm not denying they mark up stuff either, but if they were into that gross of a markup, buying the $15 item and piling $30 onto it, then why is the white Aviator shirt only $25/$27 total, in line with other vendors that sell the same thing online. Though the brand has changed from Propper, I do not recall the brand anymore, as even Propper seemed to have them on closeout on their own site. We'll see..

EDIT: .... after years of taking the "the poly wool one" for granted, in practically every conversation it comes up on, and that the labels on the ones I have are fairly obscured, I never paid attention - the DSCP issue one is made of 65/35. But the photo online is definitely the Propper one.. Which begs the question, if they are both 1550, one is obviously more vivid, and on a color meter that would not be the same color, and in a lineup, the 'premium' one sticks out, they are slightly thinner, thus a bit more translucent, and a tad more gloss/shine comes off it. They also, according to the label, do NOT like dry cleaning and hot water tends to turn them dull.

Having been on a few conversations where "why doesn't mine look like theirs", with cadets, "we got this from Vanguard" .. from the era of free cadet uniform major backlog, and having seen the Propper brand ones on the table at every Conference that I've gone to, at the Vanguard 'store'.

Alas, I'd submitted the question when I posted originally, to them directly. Hence the, "we'll see".

abdsp51

Just placed an order with them and omg the cost  :(, but for some items I'm stuck with them.  And coming from VA as well when I'm on the west coast  :o.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 02, 2012, 03:25:35 AM
Just placed an order with them and omg the cost  :(, but for some items I'm stuck with them.  And coming from VA as well when I'm on the west coast  :o.

All CAP orders are filled by the East Coast store. Per the website.

a2capt

Though if you are in the area, you can pick up at Carlsbad, as they will do inter-location shipping for a different fee. It goes twice a week and you'll get notified that it's ready for will call. Sometimes it's quicker, too.

spacecommand

My silver V was shipped from their west coast office.  Must be one of those generic items.

PA Guy

I just looked at the AAFES website.  The "issue" blue short sleeve shirt sells for $13.05.  It is advertised as 80% polyester and 20% cotton broadcloth.