Main Menu

Vanguard?

Started by Rocketguy, February 04, 2012, 05:47:32 AM

Rocketguy

Ok about to show my ignorance once more! I have seen several times on this forum and in other places where people are laughing when someone mentions ordering from Vanguard. While I have never personally had a problem with them (actually had several really good experiences) they are kind of pricey. Can someone give me an alternate CAP gear provider? I used to use the Hock Shop, but they're gone now! Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

SarDragon

Basically, if it says CAP on it, or is a CAP specific item, like rank insignia, wing patches, etc., it is only available from Vanguard.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sapper168

Quote from: SarDragon on February 04, 2012, 05:55:41 AM
Basically, if it says CAP on it, or is a CAP specific item, like rank insignia, wing patches, etc., it is only officially available from Vanguard.

There you go fixed it for you.... ;D ;) >:D
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

abdsp51

So CAP ribbons by Ultrathin are not allowed???

ol'fido

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 05, 2012, 02:39:11 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 04, 2012, 05:55:41 AM
Basically, if it says CAP on it, or is a CAP specific item, like rank insignia, wing patches, etc., it is only officially available from Vanguard.

There you go fixed it for you.... ;D ;) >:D
Are you working for the "Scamguard" marketing department?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 05, 2012, 02:58:05 AM

My guess is that the Ultrathin folks get the raw ribbon material from Vanguard.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: SarDragon on February 05, 2012, 04:29:26 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 05, 2012, 02:58:05 AM

My guess is that the Ultrathin folks get the raw ribbon material from Vanguard.

YMMV.
What ultrathins?  >:D

Joking, not asking
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sgt. Fischer

My only problem with vanguard, is that they take FOREVER to ship! i live in AZ and it takes probably 2-3 months! (at least!)

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Thrashed

Never had a problem with Vanguard. Their prices are fine too, higher than Hock, but twice the quality. Plus, part of the money Vanguard gets is donated right back to the CAP. That's a good thing. I do wonder why Vanguard doesn't sell certain things (service jacket, etc).

Never heard of Ultrathins, but their prices are more than double that of Vanguard. No thanks.

Save the triangle thingy

GTCommando

Quote from: Thrashed on February 11, 2012, 02:52:52 PM
Never heard of Ultrathins, but their prices are more than double that of Vanguard. No thanks.

UltraThins are custom ribbon sets. If I didn't add ribbons to my rack so often, I'd use them myself. They have several things going for them:

1.  They look good. They're only 1/3 the thickness of a normal rack (hence the name), and they look super sharp.

2.  They're good to your uniform. They use magnetic backings instead of pins to stay on your shirt, which decreases the long-term wear and tear on your uniform.

Like I said, if it weren't for the fact that I add to my chest candy rather often, I'd have a custom rack built tomorrow. Might get one in the fall, when NCSAs and my Earhart are out of the way.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

MIKE

Quote from: GTCommando on February 11, 2012, 03:40:09 PM
2.  They're good to your uniform. They use magnetic backings instead of pins to stay on your shirt, which decreases the long-term wear and tear on your uniform.

Much cheaper option:  Don't wear ribbons on the shirt, you don't have to.
Mike Johnston

abdsp51

I always wore mine and actually I need to ship mine back to them to be updated.  Expensive yes but the pros outweigh that con.  Once I can get back in I'll hit them up for CAP items as well. 

Abby.L

The company also sells name tapes for CAP, pin or magnetic. Not sure if they're to standards, but when it says "Blue CAP nametape," I kinda hope they know what they're talking about. So for the shirt, that would be something good to order.  ;D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Pin and magnetic tapes?

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on February 27, 2012, 05:31:19 PM
Pin and magnetic tapes?

Pins(Stabby things, leave holes in the shirt) or magnetic(No stabby things). And yea, they have both grey and blue CAP nameplates, so I'd assume you just put your name in, and select which one you want.  :angel:
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Sapper168

Im sure they meant pin and magnetic namePLATES instead of nametape....  ;D
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

brenaud

Quote from: Thrashed on February 11, 2012, 02:52:52 PM

Actually, I compared the cost for my ribbon set (11 ribbons, 5 triangle clasps, 2 stars, 1 "V") and UltraThin is less than $2 more than Vanguard ($24.95 vs $23 something).  Ribbons cost $.75 more, but attachments are cheaper (and no mounting bar to buy).  Vanguard has free shipping, but for nothing more than what I've listed above it doesn't apply (must be $25 or more).  I can justify that price difference to myself.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

FlyTiger77

Quote from: brenaud on February 28, 2012, 01:07:16 PM
I can justify that price difference to myself.
:clap: And that, friends and neighbors, is really all that matters.

I use Ultrathin for my Army ribbons. They also have outstanding customer service.

I have no idea what CAP ribbons I am authorized, so I haven't investigated the cost there.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

fearedskill

I would look around for local Army, Navy surplus stores.