Venting About Uniform Purchase Hassles

Started by ProdigalJim, September 28, 2011, 08:53:55 PM

ProdigalJim

So, to spare the other, more productive threads from my venting, I thought I'd do it here instead.

After a week, I've been "approved" to buy uniform items by phone from AAFES. The call-taker told me, however, that I can't buy any belts, ties, or outerwear...really. Oh and she also recommended that I try on for best fit and size...kinda tough via phone.

The gate guards here said I can't come on the base without a sponsor for any purpose other than a meeting. So to go to clothing sales, I'd need a sponsor to come collect me at the gate. And that's WITH my CAP ID.  :o

And then the AF gets mad at us when our uniforms look non-uniform?!?! One way to ensure uniformity is to (ahem) make everyone get the SAME STUFF from the SAME PLACE.

The only saving grace in all of this was the incredibly polite people I spoke to on the phone. They were cheerful, nice, and seemed to want very much to try to find a way around the roadblocks...but in the end, the sheet of paper listed the only items we could buy, and the gate procedures are that no CAP members come on base without a sponsor, and the kind folks on the phone couldn't change either of those things.

End of rant. Thank you for your attention.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

a2capt

Go to the meeting 'early'..  ? :) Like before MCSS closes?

lordmonar

The gate guards are wrong about access for meetings only.

Suggest you get your commander get with the SD and work out that issue.

I would like to know what is on that list of what we are able to buy over the phone.....that just seems assinine.

I would suggest that you summarize your experiance with names and dates of people you talked to and foward it up to the Wing CC so he can bring it to National's attention.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ProdigalJim

Quote from: a2capt on September 28, 2011, 09:12:22 PM

Ahhh, but my unit doesn't meet there, another one does. I'd be driving 50 miles or so each way, just to go buy stuff.
VAWG/CV

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ProdigalJim on September 28, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

Ahhh, but my unit doesn't meet there, another one does. I'd be driving 50 miles or so each way, just to go buy stuff.

Have them add you to the access list.

SARDOC

Quote from: AFI 10-2701
1.3.5.  CAP ID Card. CAP members carry an ID card identifying them as members of the organization. CAP ID cards must meet Air Force standards and are considered a uniform item subject to the
same approval process as other parts of the CAP uniform. The CAP ID card must be sufficiently different from U.S. Armed Forces ID card that confusion will not occur. The CAP ID card will not allow
access to government facilities or other agencies and is not a government identification card. CAP ID
cards do not qualify for Federal Aviation Administration identification requirements concerning pilot
certificate privileges. Each installation commander is responsible for determining the amount of
access, if any, which will be afforded to CAP personnel. However, the ID card will facilitate the identification of an individual as a member of the CAP.

Access to the Base is determined by the base commander.  If there is a squadron on that base ask them the particulars for access.  Some bases require you to be on an access list, some allow for meetings only, some allow complete access.  The Gate Guards may or may not be wrong.

Eclipse

Quote from: ProdigalJim on September 28, 2011, 09:40:41 PM

The AAFES rep you spoke to was misinformed - ask for a supervisor and keep working up until you get the answer you need.  You might
also include your State Director in this conversation.    The AFI only specifies "uniform items", so any "list" is something that someone
has made up on the spot.

That or just call the nearest MCSS and order the stuff you need direct - also, 35-50 miles is about average for a commute in my parts,
so little sympathy there.

Also Vanguard is the official supplier of CAP uniforms, and they will have everything you need, though not necessarily as cheap as AAFES,
but at least you can shop[ online.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

Vanguard doesn't have the blue serivice coat if that is what you are looking for?

Another website I have bookmarked has AF uniforms but they cost more than at the BX or AAFES. But if you keep running around in circles and not getting anywhere you might try them. :)

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/c-air-force-uniforms-1077.aspx

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-air-force-officer-service-dress-uniform-9957.aspx
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

ProdigalJim

^^ Eclipse- I didn't know you could order direct from a MCSS. That's helpful! As for Vanguard, well they have most, but not all, of what I need (unless they have it and just don't highlight it on the website). Service coat comes to mind, and outerwear. And on the aside, my daily commute is 2 hours and 15 minutes each way each day...ugly.

^^^ BradM- That's good stuff. But how do I know I'm getting the right shade, matched, etc.?

VAWG/CV

Extremepredjudice

Ask someone in the squadron to pick it up for you. If you want.

Or do what has been suggested...

Ebay also is a thought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAF-SERVICE-JACKET-CLASS-ENLISTED-MENS-WOMENS-COAT-/300373762173?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45efabe07d for service coat (enlisted).
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: ProdigalJim on September 29, 2011, 12:07:09 AM
^^ Eclipse- I didn't know you could order direct from a MCSS. That's helpful! As for Vanguard, well they have most, but not all, of what I need (unless they have it and just don't highlight it on the website). Service coat comes to mind, and outerwear. And on the aside, my daily commute is 2 hours and 15 minutes each way each day...ugly.

^^^ BradM- That's good stuff. But how do I know I'm getting the right shade, matched, etc.?

The nice ladies at Scott had custom shirts made for me and shipped them for free.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: lordmonar on September 28, 2011, 09:16:29 PM
The gate guards are wrong about access for meetings only.

I don't know if you're specifically referring to the base the OP is talking about (and thus know their policy towards CAP members) or if you think that it's blanket policy to allow CAP members on AF bases simply because they have a ID card. I can assure you the second option is not true.

The base commander is king and if he/she doesn't want CAP people running around whenever they want, then they won't be. My local AF base does not accept CAP ID's at the gate, you have to be there for official business that's been cleared by the state director or be a member of the squadron located on base and it's their regularly scheduled meeting time.

Allegedly there was some discussion at my wing about applying for the same type of access cards used by the food service workers, but the state director shot it down.

SARDOC

Quote from: Fubar on September 29, 2011, 04:01:08 AM
Allegedly there was some discussion at my wing about applying for the same type of access cards used by the food service workers, but the state director shot it down.

How much Official business do you guys have on the base?  If there was so much activity that you needed to have access to the base on a regular basis they would either start accepting your CAPID or place you on an approved access list... there would no need for you folks to have another additional card.

Fubar

Quote from: SARDOC on September 29, 2011, 04:12:46 AM
Quote from: Fubar on September 29, 2011, 04:01:08 AM

How much Official business do you guys have on the base?  If there was so much activity that you needed to have access to the base on a regular basis they would either start accepting your CAPID or place you on an approved access list... there would no need for you folks to have another additional card.

Not a lot, which is why I suspect the SD shot it down. I think the proposal was a shot across the bow that nobody can get on base to buy uniform items without getting on a list at the guard shack which takes several weeks to coordinate (and then occasionally people end up at the gate and they're still not on the list).

People in my wing just can't accept the fact we're not welcome on base and I suspect it will take some turnover in leadership on base (and probably the SD) before that changes. I have no idea why or when the bridges were burned, but nobody has been able to rebuild them in the last couple of years (I suspect they've tried).

lordmonar

If the base is limiting access for legitmate CAP buisness....like going to clothing sales.....then the SD needs to be brought into the loop.

I have no problems with the base CC limiting access....but he may not be aware of the supply issues we have.
There is always a work around.
Nellis has no problems giving access to CAP ID holders.....our biggest problem is with parents of cadets who are not members.  They must have a sponsor and minors can't sponsor their own parents.

We have a work around for this as several members of the unit work on base and a couple of members live real close to base and we are on the speed dial at the front gate. 

We can go down and sign them in...sometimes they just call us to confirm that the member and his parents are on legitmate buisness and they don't require us to come down and actually sign them in.

So.....like I said before.....run it up the chain to the SD for assistance....you never know...sometimes just asking for help is all you need to do.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AirDX

Every base has its own particulars.  We have a squadron on base - CAP IDs are only good on meeting nights, no other time, for no other purpose.  Complicating things is that we just changed to a joint base, and the Navy got security in the division of labor.  They are even wackier than the AF to deal with.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Al Sayre

Call the base MCSS and ask to speak with the manager.  Explain the issue to him/her.  Had that problem come up at Barksdale back in '05 or '06.  The MCSS manager just called the gate and said she would be my sponsor, problem solved.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

md

Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2011, 09:49:35 PM
Also Vanguard is the official supplier of CAP uniforms, and they will have everything you need, though not necessarily as cheap as AAFES,

Try being female and finding anything you need at Vanguard...

And that's my \rant

JC004

You can purchase all the uniform items you need from AAFES by phone.  They are wrong. 

If you need particular item numbers or prices, e-mail me and I will get them from AAFES online. 

I will be preparing an updated list of AAFES items, item numbers, and prices soon for my CAP uniform information site, but that's not ready yet.  I still need some help from people to get this rolling.

MSG Mac

Quote from: md on September 29, 2011, 02:20:54 PM

And that's my \rant

If your CT Name  MD indicates that you live in Maryland, Andrews AFB has no problem allowing CAP members to access the base and get to the BX  and Uniform Sales stores.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BradM

Quote from: ProdigalJim on September 29, 2011, 12:07:09 AM

For the service coat:
http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-usaf-officer-blue-uniform-coat-3633.aspx

United States Air Force Officer Blue Coat. 55% Polyester/45% Wool.
The Jacket consists of a three-button, pocketless coat. The Jacket is in Air Force Shade 1620 ("Air Force Blue").

For the trousers:
http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-air-force-class-a-dress-uniform-trousers-6662.aspx

These US Air Force class A dress uniform trousers are worn with the long or short sleeve shirts, they come with belt loops and are of the same shade (Air Force 55/45 PolyWool Shade 1620) as the service dress coat and the PolyWool garrison cap.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

md

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 29, 2011, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: md on September 29, 2011, 02:20:54 PM

And that's my \rant

If your CT Name  MD indicates that you live in Maryland, Andrews AFB has no problem allowing CAP members to access the base and get to the BX  and Uniform Sales stores.

Yes, thanks, that's pretty much what I did! Local AFB was happy to oblige me, and it was nice to actually try things on.

AlphaSigOU

Here's another thing, for those of us who are DoD civilian contract employees overseas: you can purchase almost anything from the AAFES online exchange except military uniforms. You can look all you want, see the pricing and catalog numbers but cannot place any uniform item in your shopping cart. (The exception is for military retirees.)

Here on Kwajalein, there is no MCSS (about 20 green-suiters). I wound up ordering my mess dress uniform by making a special order with the Kwaj AAFES general manager, and after explaining my situation to him he had no problem ordering it. I then had to send the uniform to my family in Vegas; the day after I arrive there I have to run over to the alterations shop at Nellis to get my trousers hemmed, dark blue braid put on after adjusting the sleeves, and add the shoulder loops for the mess dress shoulder boards.Gonna be expensive to get it done rush service but I'd rather see it done right. (I already have the rest of the insignia for mess dress.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

sandman

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 01, 2011, 08:02:56 AM
Here's another thing, for those of us who are DoD civilian contract employees overseas: you can purchase almost anything from the AAFES online exchange except military uniforms. You can look all you want, see the pricing and catalog numbers but cannot place any uniform item in your shopping cart. (The exception is for military retirees.)

Here on Kwajalein, there is no MCSS (about 20 green-suiters). I wound up ordering my mess dress uniform by making a special order with the Kwaj AAFES general manager, and after explaining my situation to him he had no problem ordering it. I then had to send the uniform to my family in Vegas; the day after I arrive there I have to run over to the alterations shop at Nellis to get my trousers hemmed, dark blue braid put on after adjusting the sleeves, and add the shoulder loops for the mess dress shoulder boards.Gonna be expensive to get it done rush service but I'd rather see it done right. (I already have the rest of the insignia for mess dress.)

Maj C,
I bought a nice ball cap at Macy's a few years ago (still called Macy's?) and is starting to wear out. Could you ship a couple of ball caps from the Kwaj store please? The one I have has a khaki crown, a darker khaki bill, with "Kwajalein Atoll" and a side view sea turtle embroidered on the front along with a small RMI flag embroidered on the right side. I would really appreciate it. Quid Pro Quo; If you need items from AAFES, NEX, MCEX, CGEX, etc just let me know. Got yourself quite a paradise out there, eh?
Thanks!
MAJ C
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: sandman on October 01, 2011, 06:52:27 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 01, 2011, 08:02:56 AM

Maj C,
I bought a nice ball cap at Macy's a few years ago (still called Macy's?) and is starting to wear out. Could you ship a couple of ball caps from the Kwaj store please? The one I have has a khaki crown, a darker khaki bill, with "Kwajalein Atoll" and a side view sea turtle embroidered on the front along with a small RMI flag embroidered on the right side. I would really appreciate it. Quid Pro Quo; If you need items from AAFES, NEX, MCEX, CGEX, etc just let me know. Got yourself quite a paradise out there, eh?
Thanks!
MAJ C

While everyone still calls the exchange 'Macy's' (after 'Macy's of the Marshalls' since the end of WWII) it's now an AAFES facility. I haven't seen that particular ball cap design for sale (it was probably back in the days before AAFES took over). There are other Kwajalein-themed caps and souvenirs available. I can still get 'em for you.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

sandman

Thanks Maj C, Let me know what kind of interesting hats or t-shirts are available. PM me if you want to. (my RMI t-shirts are wearing out too, gonna be awhile before I get back out there to visit).
v/r
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: sandman on October 01, 2011, 08:48:44 PM
Thanks Maj C, Let me know what kind of interesting hats or t-shirts are available. PM me if you want to. (my RMI t-shirts are wearing out too, gonna be awhile before I get back out there to visit).
v/r

I can get you caps, T-shirts and other 'schwag' from not only the Kwaj PX, but also from the yacht club, scuba club, American Legion Post 44 (the only American Legion post meeting on  a military installation) and the sportsfishing club.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 01, 2011, 10:35:46 PM
Quote from: sandman on October 01, 2011, 08:48:44 PM
v/r

I can get you caps, T-shirts and other 'schwag' from not only the Kwaj PX, but also from the yacht club, scuba club, American Legion Post 44 (the only American Legion post meeting on  a military installation) and the sportsfishing club.

I am starting the feel like I should go there so I can get the t-shirt and people will say "you went...where is that, exactly?"   >:D

MichelleTesla

Jim, where were you trying to go, as you don't live that far from me, and I can get on any base, so if we need to meet up (you are still at Prince William, right), shoot me a message if your issues haven't been resolved yet.
Maj. Michelle L. Anderson-Tesla
MER-VA-001
Mitchell #43030 - Earhart #10093 - Eaker #586

ProdigalJim

Quote from: MichelleTesla on October 27, 2011, 03:13:42 AM
Jim, where were you trying to go, as you don't live that far from me, and I can get on any base, so if we need to meet up (you are still at Prince William, right), shoot me a message if your issues haven't been resolved yet.

Email sent via my work email. And thanks!
VAWG/CV

LTC Don

We have a group that may be going to a nearby base and thus get to visit clothing sales next week.

I see there is a AAFES price list sticky up top.  Can someone in the know update that listing?

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891