CAP Crest button still allowed?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, April 12, 2010, 02:18:31 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Is the dull-finish CAP crest button (similar to the old AF crest button) still allowed and can it be worn on the AF service dress in place of the "Hap Arnold" buttons?

I used to see it quite a bit on the old four-pocket service dress but I don't think I've ever seen it on the current uniform.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Pylon

Quote from: CyBorg on April 12, 2010, 02:18:31 PM
Is the dull-finish CAP crest button (similar to the old AF crest button) still allowed and can it be worn on the AF service dress in place of the "Hap Arnold" buttons?

I used to see it quite a bit on the old four-pocket service dress but I don't think I've ever seen it on the current uniform.

The answer is yes and no. 

The old "AF crest" button only appears on the old-style service dress jacket (the one with the flapped breast pockets, etc.).  The new "Hap Arnold" button only appears on the new-style service dress jacket. 

Cadets are permitted to wear both the old-style and new-style jackets, so in that sense -- cadets can wear a service dress jacket with the AF crest buttons on them.  Senior members may only wear the new-style jacket, and thus they may only wear the "Hap Arnold" buttons.

Changing out the buttons on either coat to the different style buttons would constitute modifying the uniform, which is expressly prohibited by CAPM 39-1.  So you may not change the style of the buttons on any of the service dress uniforms from crest to Hap Arnold or vice-versa.

Mess dress is a different beast, and the current style mess dress has featured both the crest and Hap Arnold buttons.  39-1 simply requires that all the buttons match.   If you have an older blue mess dress with the AF crest buttons, but for example bought new shoulder boards (which now come with the new Hap Arnold buttons) you can buy a mess dress button set from AAFES or Vanguard and switch out all the buttons to Hap Arnolds to comply with the requirement that all your buttons match.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

I remember well the CAP buttons -- and yes, they were authorized, and in fact encouraged, to replace the Air Force seal buttons on CAP members' service coats. WIWAC, I wore CAP buttons.

With the advent of the McPeak uniform and its three-button coat and Hap Arnold buttons, there came no CAP button equivalent. And I don't see those old CAP buttons in CAPM 39-1, though I admit, I didn't look too hard for it. And if it isn't in the book, it's not authorized.

Can you even find those CAP buttons new?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Angus

Quote from: bte on April 13, 2010, 09:54:41 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on April 13, 2010, 07:29:02 AM
Can you even find those CAP buttons new?
http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_2218_2233

But I doubt they will have them up for much longer. They're only authorized for the CSU which is being phased out.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030