Main Menu

Amber Emergency Lights

Started by commando1, February 05, 2011, 11:52:59 PM

commando1

*Disclaimer...please read the entire topic before flaming me...thank you. I am going to be moving to a state that does allow Emergency Management Agencies to have amber warning lights on vehicles. I am not and will not debate the legality of doing so. I would like to know if any other captalk member had a good experience with any particular brand/type (hide-away/deck/lightbar etc). I have asked all my LEO buddies but they all use top of the line state-of-the-art equipment, i.e expensive and unnecessary.   
Non Timebo Mala

NCRblues

My state allows amber as well, so does CAP...so no flame...until you want to run code with red/blue  >:D

You can get some really nice strobes for rear mounting in van windows for really cheap from CODE3.....send them an email and tell them who you are and they give 25% discounts...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Pylon

Kind of hard to help without a price-range.  Galls.com sells a pretty wide range from cheap dash lights to very elaborate systems.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

commando1

I am looking to stay under $100. I have decent wiring skills but I am also looking for ease of use. I was just wanting something better than a towtruck beacon.  ;D
Non Timebo Mala

ammotrucker

I used Code 3 on my semi for years.  They are very reliable, and if they need maint.  Parts are easily available.
RG Little, Capt

Major Lord

Dashlights don't give you the protection you need from being rear-ended while stopped on the side of the road. A strobe. LED, or Rotator on the highest point of your car offer the best protection. I suggest a magnetically mounted unit that you can take off. It will keep road noise down, not kill your mileage needlessly, and evil-doers will not rip it off your car. Incandescent units are cheapest, but use motors and bulbs that both wear out. A single strobe is low key, but not really clear to other traffic that you are doing something and would prefer not be run over like a wayward armadillo. LED units are not as bright as Halogen bulbs, but offer electronic flash patterns that let traffic know you are an Emergency vehicle, and smushing you would be un-cool.  E-bay and a bunch of discounters have boatloads of different units, but I would look for a DOT approved unit, and not a CHICOM special . Make sure it gives you 360 degree of coverage. Visibility from the air is an important factor.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

PHall

Take a look at what the local telephone and/or electrical company has on their vehicles. 

What we use at AT&T here in California is usually a single amber strobe mounted on the roof/ladder rack.
Provides pretty good coverage to the sides and rear of the vehicle. Regular four-way flashers cover the front of the vehicle.

arajca

Two questions:

1. Is this for a CAP vehicle?

2. What does your wing say if it is?

Major Lord

Quote from: arajca on February 06, 2011, 03:08:23 AM
Two questions:

1. Is this for a CAP vehicle?

2. What does your wing say if it is?

See post #1
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

When in doubt, see Post #1.  In this case it says "I'm moving to a state that .. "

arajca

I'm not asking about the legality of it. I'm asking if the Op is planning to put it on a CAP vehicle (which is NOT specified in post #1) and if the wing allows amber lights on CAP vehicles (also NOT specified in post #1). Legally, vans can tow trailers, however, some wings, or just mine, do not allow CAP vans to tow trailers. Same type of issue.

niferous

Just as a tip check craigslist in your area for "warning ligts" "emergency lights" that sort of thing.  A lot of two truck drivers, construction workers, etc etc use the lights and then switch careers, get new stuff, or just like buying new shiny bright lights.  So they sell the old ones.  My buddy was going into the tow business and scored some nice LED stuff that works well for about 25% of what he would have paid new. 

Also meet in a safe place and bring a charged battery so you can check the lights before purchasing.  LEDs last a really long time so if they work when you get them you'll good. 
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

commando1

arajca, it is not for a COV if that is what you are asking.
Quote from: arajca on February 06, 2011, 05:33:22 AM
I'm asking if the Op is planning to put it on a CAP vehicle (which is NOT specified in post #1) and if the wing allows amber lights on CAP vehicles (also NOT specified in post #1). Legally, vans can tow trailers, however, some wings, or just mine, do not allow CAP vans to tow trailers. Same type of issue.
I am waiting for monday so that wing will get back to me. I will have permission in writing before ever installing said lights on my vehicle. No I am not attempting to run code and I'm not a whacker or whatever other slang name you have for wannabe's.  8) It is all about visibility. I'm thinking some hide-aways and a roof beacon run off the cigarette lighter type set-up.
Non Timebo Mala

IceNine

Don't be a whacker.

Some subtle hide-a-light strobes hidden in the marker lamps is more than enough for the reality that you will probably never use these as the law intends.  Any chances of you ever NEEDING a light are REALLY low.  I've been a volunteer firefighter/EMT for years and I haven't turned my lights on for well over a year, and even then it was because I came upon an accident in my POV, and don't like being hit by cars.

But if you must.

LED's- A little pricey but REALLY bright

Or just a single light that plugs into the lighter port. 
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&cat=&style=DL210

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

commando1

Quote from: IceNine on February 06, 2011, 07:56:45 PM
I came upon an accident in my POV, and don't like being hit by cars.
;D Exactly why I want them. I read a study that found the faster your emergency lights flash the faster people react to them so I'm thinking of getting some strobes. (In this case by not hitting you). The only reason I want more than a single beacon is becuase I want to be a little bit cooler than your average towtruck.  8)
Non Timebo Mala

IceNine

But why?

What are the odds of stumbling upon an airplane crash, or being the first person on scene of a missing person?

Your chances of being involved in or seeing an airplane crash are about 1:11,000,000

Chances of stumbling upon a vehicle crash 1:5,000.

Like I said above, your chances of using these lights to the letter and intent of the law is about once in a lifetime.  Anyone who wants lights to be "cooler than a tow truck" is textbook whacker.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsekbcXWFrA

WAY more than you or I or any other volunteer will EVER need.

1 yellow strobe on each corner is more than plenty.  Any flashing light is considerably more visible than a stationary light.  Add it VERY bright LED's and Fast but distinct flashes and you will be as save as possible.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

It's shouldn't go unsaid that NFPA law code requires ANSI class II vests for anyone operating outside of a vehicle w/ emergency lights on.  With the exception of those actively fighting fires.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

There are some non-whacker uses for amber lights that I can think of, but it typically does not require a big amber lightbar.

Our airport requested use of an amber roof strobe on the CAP vehicles that traversed taxiways and things.  This was a regular occurrence because our CAP buildings are on the airport grounds and getting to most places from there, including our hangar, required driving across ramps & taxiways.

And for ground team/UDF type stuff, I can definitely see the benefits of an amber arrow-stick facing the rear of the vehicle.  That's practical, keeps traffic advised that you're there, you're stopped and to move around you, and I think is significantly less whacker than a lightbar.  I'm not sure what a lightbar accomplishes for CAP, because we would never need to warn traffic in front of us.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

When a private citizen comes upon an accident scene, they should be calling 911, not flipping on their stealth strobes, dropping flares and
pull-starting their jaws-of-life. 

Do what you want on your own time, but if the subject of CAP comes up while you're out there as a private citizen, leave CAP out of it.

As for members, during missions, absent a mandate from your state, the only thing you should be using is this:

And if the state mandates something, then you should ask them what to buy and get the bare minimum acceptable.

As soon as the word "cool" is used anywhere in the situation, you are a whacker.

"That Others May Zoom"