Disaster Relief Training Program

Started by afgeo4, April 20, 2007, 04:36:31 AM

afgeo4

After evaluating my group's ES capabilities, ES history and the environment, I came to a realization that CAP will never be tasked with a distress SAR mission within its territorial borders. Sure, we'll get that occasional mission in NJ or PA or even upstate, but that's once a year at best. Out of that came my decision to start up a formal Disaster Relief training program. Having been through 9/11, upstate ice storms, numerous floods, etc I understand that disasters, both man-made and natural are the real threat to this area. Having said that...

CAP has no formal DR training set up. At least not to the level where our SAR is. There are no DR teams. No specific DR qualifications. Now I have to come up with some. From a previous post I caught on that CERT training might be a good start. From reviewing our ES regs I figured that requirements to become a DR team member should include:

1. CAPT-116 Part 1 & 2
2. CAPT-117 (ALL)
3. Current First Aid Certification
4. Current CPR w/ AED Certification
5. Current Mission Staff Assistant, Mission Scanner/Observer/Pilot, Mission Radio Operator, Ground Branch Director, Air Branch Director, Incident Commander, Mission Chaplain, Liaison Officer, Public Affairs Officer, CISM, Admin, Finance or Logistics qualified.
6. Select Tasks from UDF and Ground Team member task guides.
7. ICS 200 for members
8. ICS 700 for team leaders

What other skills/training would be great for a full, robust DR program?

What paperwork should be retained/created to run an efficient DR mission? Short term? Long term?
GEORGE LURYE

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 04:36:31 AM

Depends...what will the DR team members be doing? 

afgeo4

Quote from: JC004 on April 20, 2007, 04:42:23 AM

Well... I'm going to take a leap here and say Disaster Relief? Think of a typical natural or man-made disaster and how CAP could be applied to help. We don't really have a box here, so anything would be outside it.
GEORGE LURYE

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 04:46:12 AM

Well... I'm going to take a leap here and say Disaster Relief? Think of a typical natural or man-made disaster and how CAP could be applied to help. We don't really have a box here, so anything would be outside it.

Skills and training, I imagine, would be needs-based.  Having done nearly all of the Red Cross DR-related courses, I would say that they have a good structure to their DR program.  Stacking sandbags doesn't require much training/skills development (other than strength, stamina, and donuts), but a lot of the other stuff they do requires at least the basic training.  DR can involve shelter management...can/would CAP do that?  How would we get into that system...have our own teams or just integrate with Red Cross or whatever group?  Red Cross/Salvation Army do a lot of sandwich and donut distribution...do we consider that for CAP?  We also need to meet the point between: 1. too specialized to get most missions and 2. jack of all trades, master of none.

afgeo4

Quote from: JC004 on April 20, 2007, 04:55:28 AM

Skills and training, I imagine, would be needs-based.  Having done nearly all of the Red Cross DR-related courses, I would say that they have a good structure to their DR program.  Stacking sandbags doesn't require much training/skills development (other than strength, stamina, and donuts), but a lot of the other stuff they do requires at least the basic training.  DR can involve shelter management...can/would CAP do that?  How would we get into that system...have our own teams or just integrate with Red Cross or whatever group?  Red Cross/Salvation Army do a lot of sandwich and donut distribution...do we consider that for CAP?  We also need to meet the point between: 1. too specialized to get most missions and 2. jack of all trades, master of none.

You're 100% correct and that's just what I'm trying to change... at least on the local level. We looked into the Red Cross shelter management program and found that they require people to attend meeting twice a week for a number of weeks, in the afternoons, for a few hours at a time to meet their requirements. That's pretty much out of question for 99% of our members since we have jobs. Perhaps we can create our own shelter mgmt program?
GEORGE LURYE

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 05:08:52 AM
You're 100% correct and that's just what I'm trying to change... at least on the local level. We looked into the Red Cross shelter management program and found that they require people to attend meeting twice a week for a number of weeks, in the afternoons, for a few hours at a time to meet their requirements. That's pretty much out of question for 99% of our members since we have jobs. Perhaps we can create our own shelter mgmt program?

Shelter management might be a decent place to start.  I would see about asking folks in Florida.  A long, long while ago, I had seen some stuff about Florida Wing's DR program (not sure if it was official or just proposed).  If anybody knows hurricanes and disasters, I bet they know down there (no, down here - I'm in Florida for the week).  When I did my shelter management class, it was over a series of weeks in the evenings.  I wonder if they couldn't do a course for CAP if there was enough interest?  Of course it may have changed substantially since I took it...

Another good skill for our cadets to have is how to make a mean sandwich.  Sometimes I get hungry.   :angel:

sarmed1

Having previously been a FLWG person, the goal of training really does depend on what role you wnat to and/or believe CAP will fill in a disaster.  Most personnel I have talked to other than FL are pretty much willing to fill any role, as long as they get invited to help.  Personally I think that is the wrong attitude to take.  That places us in the same catagory as Joe Shmoe the helpful next door neighbor.
FLWG has a very unique mission tasking within FLEMA.  Its labeled RECON, long story short its a forward deploying imapct (note not damage) assessment team.  Supported by a forward control team (ground and air) as well as aviation assets.  They report specifically with visual (and preferable) GPS encoded photographic assessment of presence and/or extent of damage to local infrastructure in the diaster zone, via radio, sat adn computer directly to the state EOC.
Thye used to have a 3 teir diaster trainig qualification, basic, intermeidate and advanced, which has fallen by the way side.  Out of both those training prograsm my squadron developed a trainig outline/task list for GES member to complete that would make them capable of responding and being useful in any DR type mission.
basically its a combination of items from FLWG program, CERT and a bit of FEMA IS courses.

1 CAP General Emergency Services Training CAPT 116 Part I & II
2 ICS 100 Basic Incident Command System FEMA IS 100 or equivilent
3 Adult CPR with Automated External Deffibrilator
4 Basic First Aid Training
5 Recognizing and Identifying Hazardous Materials FEMA IS-5 or equivilent
6 Basic Communications for Emergency Services
7 [ ] Have 12, 24 and 72 hour individual Gear and Equipment
   [ ] Describe in order, how to REPLENISH, REPAIR, REPACK and REST after a  sortie/mission.
8 Bloodborne Pathogens
[ ]Describe the concept of Universal Precautions
[ ]Demonstrate application and removal of personal protective equipment
9 Risk Management for CAP ES missions [ ]Identify the 6 steps of risk management
10 Critical Incident Stress Management [ ]Define the four common Critical Incidnet Reactions and give an example of each
11 Legal Issues for CAP Emergency Services-Define the restrictions on
CAP ES operations in regards to the following: [ ]Posse Commitus [ ]Tresspass
[ ]Use of Force [ ] Negligent Liability
12 Fire Extinguisher Use [ ]Describe the Fire Tetrahedeon
[ ]Describe the 4 classifications of combustable materials
[ ]What does the acronym P.A.S.S. stand for?

1 Organization of Disaster Relief Operations
Complete FEMA IS 292 Disaster Basics
[ ] Florida Wing CAP Disaster Operations
[ ] Recon [ ] Forward Control Team
2 Command Structure: Complete the following:
[ ] FEMA IS 200 Incident Command System
[ ] FEMA IS 700 National Incident Management System
[ ] FEMA IS 800 National Response Plan
3 Light Debris Removal
Complete IS-632 Introduction to Debris Operations in FEMA's Public
Assistance Program
4 Radio Communications
Complete Advanced Communications User Training
5 Describe the hazards associated with common utilities and describe
the shut off procedures for [ ] Water [ ] Gas [ ] Electric
6 Damage Assessment
[ ] Complete Red Cross Damage Assessment Course or equivilent
[ ] Demonstrates ability to fill out damage assessment form
7 Photographic Target Assessment
Describe attributes of good picture taking during damage assessment
missions.
8 Helicopter Operations, Safety and Landing Zone
[ ] Aircraft safety concerns [ ] LZ requirements, hazard identification and marking
[ ] Aircraft communications [ ] Marshalling signals
9 Swift/Flood Water Safety
[ ] Basic swim test 100m any style, tread water 2 minutes
[ ] Personal safety considerations [ ] Rescue Sequence
[ ] Self Rescue [ ] Use of throw bags
10 Small Boat Safety and Operations
[ ] Open Water Safety Considerations
[ ] Manual Boat Operations
[ ] Swamped/Overturned Boat Procedures
11 Urban Search and Rescue Awarenss
[ ] Identify sizeup requirements for USAR situations
[ ] Describe the most common techniques for searching a structure
[ ] Describe marking of searched structures
12 Texas Engineering Extension Service (TEEX)
Terrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction for First Responders

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

JC004

RiverAux

Keep in mind that DHS/FEMA will be coming up with their own requirements for almost everything and what you do now may become obsolete at any time.  So, I wouldn't waste a lot of time developing a qualification system. 

What you should focus on is determing exactly what types of missions you want to do and find local partners that woud need CAP help to carry them out.  Focus on developing operational plans to carry out those missions. 

davedove

I know this is an older thread, but I have been looking at the Disaster Relief mission.  The following are the typical tasks assigned to CAP from the various agreements in place.  It would make sense to me to focus any training on these tasks.

A Air and ground visual and/or photographic damage survey and assessment of a disaster area.

B. Air and ground transportation of personnel, relief supplies, and other equipment to support relief operations, including transportation of assets such as search and rescue (SAR) dogs or medical teams.

C. Communications support in the form of both equipment and personnel to provide emergency communications in support of relief operations using CAP dedicated frequencies.

D. Personnel to provide support staffs in shelters, feeding units, supply operations, and other disaster related operations under the direct supervision and control of the relevant relief agency, after receiving appropriate training as volunteers. CAP cadet and senior members may be utilized, if qualified and after receiving appropriate training, in first aid stations, mass care (shelter and feeding), and logistics operations.

E. Air and ground transportation of blood, blood products and tissue essential for medical emergencies.

F. Air and ground search and rescue (SAR) services (missing persons, aircraft, livestock, etc.)

G. Air and ground radiological monitoring, if capabilities are available.

H. Monitoring of surface traffic.

I. Courier flights (CAP members do not maintain security clearances and cannot handle classified material.)

There may be other tasks as well, but I found these to be most common in the agreements.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RogueLeader

I think that one point that you are all missing is that DR is under ES.  Just because some places focus on SAR, that is by no means the only aspect of ES.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 05:08:52 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 20, 2007, 04:55:28 AM

Our squadron is currently having all of the courses outlined in 35-3 for the DR ribbon.  This includes shelter management.  We do not have a requirement to attend bi-weekly meetings, however, there are six courses to take each about 8 hours.

The way the red cross would use our squadron would be a) disaster happens. b) local agencies get approval from red cross to open shelters (with red cross funding), c) red cross calls us and says we need you to manage and staff this shelter. d) we manage the shelter.

The red cross does all the 'grunt work,' including shelter set-up, delivery of supplies, etc.  We just provide the volunteers to make it work.

CAPs participation through joint efforts in disaster relief is a very real thing. There are many different avenues we can take to get it done with the current regulations. 

For DR we can provide;
1) Aerial Reconnasaince
2) Aerial Photography to aide in damage assessment
3) Shelter Management
4) Medical transport (organs, blood, etc)
5) Traffic control.
6) Supply delivery (handing out water, ice, etc.)

there are many more, but those are the things that pop out in my mind.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

afgeo4--

As I have mentioned numerous times, I am working on my masters in Disaster and Emergency Management and I am also starting a CERT team in my county since we dont have one (its something I want to do and also part of a capstone project for my degree). I would suggest that we could take some pages from academia. Just check out graduate programs in Emergency Management. Mine is through the Institute for Biosecurity at St.Louis University-School of Public Health. Courses include things like terrorists motivations and history, NIMS/ICS, disaster medicine, public health, infectious disease, shelter management, etc. These kinds of programs are now very big and the need for professionals in these areas is becoming huge after 9/11 and Katrina. I have been tapped for possible employment pending the completion of my thesis by FEMA, the Red Cross and I even got a letter from a North American Representative of the Red Crescent.

Now my emphasis is on the medical side of things, but if you do a google for masters degrees emergency management, you will find alot of great stuff that I think would apply here. I am also getting my certification as a level 1 medical examiner. You could take a look at the following programs: St. Louis University which tends to be pretty well rounded between medical/public health, terrorism response and emergency management. Then there is the program at Philadelphia University which is Disaster Medicine and Management so they are a little heavier on the medical. Arguably, the best in teh country is the program at Penn State, which I believe is the only one that is run through a college of medicine. There are lots of ideas from the curriculum, descriptions of the classes, etc that could be of use to you as you try to put together a proposal and i would be happy to help in anyway I can since one of my plans is to start a EM/DR Consultancy Firm and Non-profit disaster medicine response service.

This is big. I firmly believe that if CAP is going to evolve and stay vital, it is going to need to address this, adapt for it and do so in a huge and complete way. Just today there was an electrical explosion in NYC near Lexington Ave that had people running for cover thinking my god its happening again, especially since there has been specific intelligence "chatter" about an impending attack on the US.

Ive also said that there is a need in EM for translators, particularly Arabic and Arabic based languaged for disasters that have to do with terror aspects. I dont mean to imply that Arabs have the corner on terrorism, but that is who we as Americans are facing. I have just started learning the language so I am probably developing a CIA/DHS file as we speak  :(.  As part of CAPs DR, I think we need a translator corps like the USCGAUX has. There two most common languages used by translators are Spanish and Arabic. I already speak Spanish. I think this is more than another fly by night thing that someone wants to try to run up the chain, like us wearing boonies.

I think this is a real necessity and much more so than we are training in it now. It needs to be as big if not bigger than SAR. Imagine what CAP could do with its resources if they were applied to a EM/DR asset. Im in for this one. Let me know what I can do and I will do it. Please feel free to PM me and I can give you my email address if you would like someone to be a compatriot in working on this with you.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

I wonder how much the lack of a CAP DR program outside of our traditional roles (aerial damage assessment for the most part) is due to a lack of interest by the Air Force?  Look at it this way, the AF has done everything it can over the last 5-10 years to divorce itself from CAP in regards to any mission that can't be linked back to some mission of the AF itself.  Hence the extreme tightening of what can and can't be done under AFAMs lately.  Heck, they made one wing do a statewide homeland security exercise with the National Guard as a corporate mission. 

So, that being the case, do you think the AF is all that anxious to have CAP members off running emergency shelters or things of that nature in a disaster, which would likely be done as an AFAM? 

No, they haven't been denying permission to perform such missions that I'm aware of and you can find examples around the country in various places.  But, the fact that they haven't pushed us to train for such missions and really don't even have a good way of tracking such missions should CAP be performing them.  They've become very dependent on WMIRS and it is only set up for air and ground team missions and totally ignores a whole suite of things that CAP could be doing in DR situations. 

Now, if someone in the CAP leadership got it into their heads to really push this issue as a priority, I don't think the AF would actively work against it.  But, we've all seen how they have used their power and authority to push CAP in certain directions they think are important and this obviously isn't one of them. 

Duke Dillio

I didn't read all of this but I did quickly notice that there isn't mention of Mass Triage training.  I would tend to think that this is a fairly critical skill when dealing with DR stuff.  I have also taken most of the Red Cross courses and tend to like their program but then again, to each his own.

RiverAux

Given all the hoops you have to jump through to activate CAP for a DR mission, all the triage is going to be well in the past by the time we get an AFAM. 

afgeo4

Quote from: RiverAux on December 10, 2007, 12:35:47 AM
Given all the hoops you have to jump through to activate CAP for a DR mission, all the triage is going to be well in the past by the time we get an AFAM. 
You mean like in Katrina, Rita, and countless disasters in the southeast of the United States? Perhaps you mean situations like 9/11 where our aircraft were the first non-combat aircraft over ground zero?  Not sure what you're trying to say here.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

I'm saying that CAP members were not conducting medicl triage after any of those incidents and our call-out system would generally prevent us from getting to the scene of most disasters early enough where such skills would come into play. 

afgeo4

Quote from: RiverAux on December 10, 2007, 03:01:19 AM
I'm saying that CAP members were not conducting medicl triage after any of those incidents and our call-out system would generally prevent us from getting to the scene of most disasters early enough where such skills would come into play. 

Oh absolutely! We aren't first responders and we aren't EMS. We don't do triage... Same reason why we don't fight fires. There already exist dedicated resources to just that.
GEORGE LURYE

SARMedTech

In IMERT we use START triage. 30 seconds per patient and move on. Ive often thought that getting your local CAP squadron or Wing associated with the DMAT team in your state, if you have one. Here in IL, we are trying to develop a relationship with CAP for flying our command staff, medical supplies. It seems like what CAP can come up, or has  come up with so far for is not translatable to a mass casualty disaster situation. Thats why in IL we have a medical disaster team, an urban search and rescue team, a WMD team and a terrorism task force. What we would end with if CAP wades  further into ES/DR than we already are is alot of duplication of service and alot of people tripping over each other and jockeying to be in charge. Everything that has been mentioned that CAP could do is already out there. Training in WMD is great, but what are you going to do with it. You cant treat medically to any extent, we dont have HAZMAT assets. Maybe wing and squadron commanders should, instead of trying to come up with a program by smushing alot of classes together and thinking that it makes a DR team is to start  working with the assets your individual states have in place and asking them how you can fit in and how you can be of assistance. This is what DMATs do. They show up and say how can we help?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."