Velcro shoulder pocket blouse

Started by 800bestofcap, February 21, 2013, 04:36:48 AM

The Infamous Meerkat

Let's see... On deployment I wore those Super-ultra-tacticool FROG cammies with extra shin pockets..... never used those. Then daily I wore the Marine Corps blouse with the  shoulder pockets you say are so useful and used them a total of..... Zero times.

Your question (800bestofcap) has little logical value, and I suggest you stop.... talking.  ::)
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Stonewall

Deployed - I used the sleeve pockets on my combat shirts regularly.
Serving since 1987.

JK657

Deployed: I only used my sleeve pocket for my thin notebook. I found that too many or too heavy of items was uncomfortable. The last time I used a compass I used my iphone :)

Stonewall

In my sleeve pockets I kept rubber gloves (used them often), a small camera (part of my SALUTE reporting), and a notebook.
Serving since 1987.

ol'fido

As a "light" infantryman, I learned the value of carrying as little as possible in my pockets. When you travel by LPC(Leather Personnel Carrier), you learn that stuff in your pockets will find some way to rub a sore spot on some part of your anatomy or jab you in the kidney, spleen, bladder, etc.  So, even today, I prefer to carry as little as possible in my pockets.

As to carrying a compass on a string around my neck, I wore my dog tags with a very comfortable piece of 550 cord shell over the chain and the three tags(I had one of the red allergy tags) were taped together with 100mph tape. Unless I was on the land nav course and actually navigating, I would have the compass in it's little ALICE pouch(with a couple of extra field dressings). Normally, on day land nav I would seldom use the compass and would navigate by terrain association. That is not always possible in a flat heavily forested area. I did not like puttting a compass or anything else around my neck like that for fear that I would fall on the terrain and the string would hang up and strangle me.

A better idea would be to put a compass pouch on a pack or LBE shoulder strap and dummy cord the compass to the strap.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

If quick-draw from the shoulder is really an issue, you could always just put the compass in an arm-band case in the
exact spot the sleeve pocket would be.

Or put velcro on the bottom of the compass and an arm band.

Neither is necessary, but both are better then ruining a uniform you won't be allowed to wear after it's seen the first time.

Done.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

Quote from: 800bestofcap on February 21, 2013, 04:36:48 AM
I know I'm gunna catch grief about regs but I want to know some information about BDU blouses with Velcro pockets and shoulder pockets. I'm getting these strictly for ground team but can't get any info on where to get them. Here are some specs for them: BDU colors, Velcro pockets two breast pockets two shoulder pockets, Velcro for name tapes Civil Air Patrol tape flag and wing patch, gotten field jacket style rank tab on front. I know you can modify them to be like this but I'm trying to find professionally made ones.

I've got some I'm willing to sell. $2000.00/blouse, minimum order of 50.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

vento

Quote from: SJFedor on February 23, 2013, 03:26:03 AM
I know I'm gunna catch grief about regs but I want to know some information about BDU blouses with Velcro pockets and shoulder pockets. I'm getting these strictly for ground team but can't get any info on where to get them. Here are some specs for them: BDU colors, Velcro pockets two breast pockets two shoulder pockets, Velcro for name tapes Civil Air Patrol tape flag and wing patch, gotten field jacket style rank tab on front. I know you can modify them to be like this but I'm trying to find professionally made ones.

And that is a pretty good price coming from a Ferengi.   >:D

EDIT: Just remembered that I said I wouldn't be posting on this thread anymore. Darn it! Couldn't resist the rule of acquisition.

NIN

Just so nobody thinks I'm some guy who doesn't know all about wearing unauthorized uniforms...

Those are jungle fatigues. IN THE WINTER.

Yeah. In 1986, slash pockets were cool. So cool that we had to wear them every chance we got.  Even in places where it was clearly inappropriate to wear a uniform designed and constructed for a tropical clime.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Garibaldi

Quote from: NIN on February 23, 2013, 11:15:13 PM
Just so nobody thinks I'm some guy who doesn't know all about wearing unauthorized uniforms...

Those are jungle fatigues. IN THE WINTER.

Yeah. In 1986, slash pockets were cool. So cool that we had to wear them every chance we got.  Even in places where it was clearly inappropriate to wear a uniform designed and constructed for a tropical clime.

That was our "official" uniform, complete with subdued patches, for all activities in GAWG in the 70s/80s. Except for SAREXs and other official wing activities, we never went anywhere without our "jungies". Even on our week-long after-Christmas FTX to northeast Abalama. You just wore thermal underwear and your M65 with the fur-lined hood and thick socks.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 23, 2013, 11:37:40 PM
That was our "official" uniform, complete with subdued patches, for all activities in GAWG in the 70s/80s. Except for SAREXs and other official wing activities, we never went anywhere without our "jungies". Even on our week-long after-Christmas FTX to northeast Abalama. You just wore thermal underwear and your M65 with the fur-lined hood and thick socks.

*whew* .. I thought I was the only one who was weird :)

That being said, NE Alabama?  Does it even get cold there?  8)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ol'fido

I liked wearing my OD jungles as well. One of these days I'll break out the ERDL's with CAP stuff on them. Ah, memories.....
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Brad

Quote from: vento on February 23, 2013, 05:52:17 AM
Quote from: SJFedor on February 23, 2013, 03:26:03 AM

And that is a pretty good price coming from a Ferengi.   >:D

EDIT: Just remembered that I said I wouldn't be posting on this thread anymore. Darn it! Couldn't resist the rule of acquisition.

#22! "A wise man can hear profit in the wind."  ;D
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

JK657

I shake my head when I think about all the unauthorized stuff I used to do and wear when I was a cadet. Anything to look like some cool special forces commando elite! Berets, jump boots, random bling... you name it I did it!

Stonewall

Quote from: JK657 on February 24, 2013, 05:18:40 PM
I shake my head when I think about all the unauthorized stuff I used to do and wear when I was a cadet. Anything to look like some cool special forces commando elite! Berets, jump boots, random bling... you name it I did it!

100%

In my day, no one cared.  We'd be "lucky" to have a senior member that cared enough to know 39-1, let alone own one.  We made up the rules as we went, because either we could, or we didn't know any better.
Serving since 1987.

a2capt

Quote from: Stonewall on February 24, 2013, 05:53:37 PMIn my day, no one cared.  We'd be "lucky" to have a senior member that cared enough to know 39-1, let alone own one.  We made up the rules as we went, because either we could, or we didn't know any better.
..and one could argue that mentality as a whole lead to the general promotion and purple things that others seem to cite as the bolt of lighting that beset the organizations "downfall" and "separation" with the Air Force.. ;)

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Stonewall on February 24, 2013, 05:53:37 PM
Quote from: JK657 on February 24, 2013, 05:18:40 PM

100%

In my day, no one cared.  We'd be "lucky" to have a senior member that cared enough to know 39-1, let alone own one.  We made up the rules as we went, because either we could, or we didn't know any better.

WIWAC in NYWG, it was *very* by-the-book.   If you showed up at a Sq meeting with uniform discrepancies (and inspection was the first order of business after opening formation), you either corrected it on the spot or got sent home, with an admonition that you would not wear the uniform again until it (and you) were in regs.    And God help you if you went to a Group or higher level activity...  If you didn't get busted before you got there, you sure as hell did WHEN you got there..  a CAPF 341 was pulled, and it got back to your Sq/CC, and went in your 201 file.   Multiple 341s pulled for discrepancies were grounds to hold promotion, prohibit you from participating in activities, etc..   So you always strived to be as squared away as possible.   Those who couldn't get with the program, LEFT the program.  There was high esprit de corps, and pride in what we accomplished.

When I got to FLWG, I found the exact opposite..  Barely anyone cared/cares about uniforms and C&C, and, quite frankly, it is reflected in complacency in other aspects of the program.    When I have tried to do on the spot corrections, I am labeled a uniform/C&C nazi..  Subordinates routinely refer to/address superiors by their first name.   I've seen Cadets on more than one occasion in BDUs with no nametape, CAP tape, grade insignia... Nothing.  Just like it came from the manufacturer.    I've had Cadets come up to me and start a conversation as if we were best pals..  "Hey, Tomasone, (blah blah blah)..." - and no one in earshot corrects them. 

I've asked a few Cadets who have transferred to FLWG from NYWG if things have changed back home, and I have been told that they have not..  So I have to conclude that it's a "FLWG thing" and wonder why no one cares.

Stonewall

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 24, 2013, 08:21:47 PMWhen I got to FLWG, I found the exact opposite..  Barely anyone cared/cares about uniforms and C&C, and, quite frankly, it is reflected in complacency in other aspects of the program.    When I have tried to do on the spot corrections, I am labeled a uniform/C&C nazi..  Subordinates routinely refer to/address superiors by their first name.   I've seen Cadets on more than one occasion in BDUs with no nametape, CAP tape, grade insignia... Nothing.  Just like it came from the manufacturer.    I've had Cadets come up to me and start a conversation as if we were best pals..  "Hey, Tomasone, (blah blah blah)..." - and no one in earshot corrects them. 

I've asked a few Cadets who have transferred to FLWG from NYWG if things have changed back home, and I have been told that they have not..  So I have to conclude that it's a "FLWG thing" and wonder why no one cares.

I too have noticed this.  Although I was a cadet in FLWG, 15 years of my senior membership has been in DCWG, with the last 6 being in FLWG again, but not active.  Day vs. night here in FL vs DC.  And I must say that I'm not fond of this type of atmosphere.  Having just taken over as DCC a few days ago, I intend to change this at the unit level.  Times have changed and while WIWAC we were "on our own" so to speak and clearly out of regs a lot (outside of the squadron), when it came to weekly meetings it was with game faces on.  Anyone that knows me understands my feelings on cadets in half-uniforms.  You don't wear it until it is 100% complete, period.

Come back and see us in 6 months, I think you'll notice a difference.
Serving since 1987.

Arkbird

Looks like I'm a little late but....

C/MSgt,
I know that you have seen others, both cadet and senior, wearing those blouses at various wing events.  I've seen it.  I too, have heard "It's been authorized by [insert random higher person or HQ here]" when asked about them. When I have asked for the approved supplement for said items, no one has ever given me a satisfying answer.  I can assure you that they are not properly authorized and the members that wear them are incorrect.  I know that I cannot stop said members from wearing the items from the position I am currently in.  I have brought it up to various higher persons and no visible action has been taking towards correcting these issues.  I made the decision to personally follow the regs and require the members under me to do so as well.  To me, it is an issue of integrity.  Others may be ignoring the regs but that does not make it right for me to do it.  If you want to talk about this further, just let me know.
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

JayT

Quote from: 800bestofcap on February 21, 2013, 06:43:12 AM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 21, 2013, 06:38:51 AM
So you took 2 minutes to take out a map/compass. Annoying perhaps, but unlikely to be a game changer unless you are doing it 15-30 times. Though I also have to ask where the heck they had it buried? They must have been from the infomercial universe.

I just tested myself. I got up from my computer, walked across the room, picked my pack up out of my closet, put it on, took it off, laid it down, got out my map, dug around and tried to remember where I put the compass (I'm reconfiguring my pack and I'm tired) took it out, and put stuff away and came back to my computer. All at a leisurely stroll. It took me 1.5 minutes to do that. (I used a stopwatch)

Also a note 'They do it at Hawk' does not win you points on this board. IF your Wing/CC is in fact authorizing this stuff (I highly doubt it) I have no doubt a Region/CC would be very interested to see that and that the conversation would not go swimingly for that wing/CC. You probably didn't see the ruckus that a picture from an encampment garnered when it had a bunch of uniform violations and unathorized crap.
I have seen that pic, it was terrible. But 1.5 is still time you could be using treating wounds of victims if it took you .05

I'm curious as to how many 'victims' you've treated in your career?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."