Inland SAR planner course

Started by Airborne Medic, December 04, 2011, 08:19:20 PM

Airborne Medic

Just a quick question that I'm sure someone on here knows. I want to attend the inland SAR course next year but when I went to the CAP registration site it asks under qualification if you are an incident commander or planner or a trainee.  My question is what is the requirement to become an incident commander trainee?  I cannot find it in the reg's so I know I am missing it somewhere.

Thanks!

SarDragon

IC3 requires OSC, which requires PSC, which requires either GBD or AOBD

GBD requires GTL and MS

AOBD requires MO and GTM/UDF
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on December 04, 2011, 08:54:53 PM
IC3 requires OSC, which requires PSC, which requires either GBD or AOBD

GBD requires GTL and MS

AOBD requires MO and GTM/UDF

The "cross-quals" don't come in until PSC.  You don't need GTM/UDF to become an AOBD, but you do need them to jump from AOBD to PSC.  Likewise, you don't need MS to become a GBD, but you do to jump from GBD to PSC.

SarDragon

My objective was to point out that someone doesn't just jump into IC3-T right out of the chute.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on December 05, 2011, 03:22:53 AM
My objective was to point out that someone doesn't just jump into IC3-T right out of the chute.

True that.

The way I look at the ISPC is that you need to be a IC(T), Section Chief (T) or Branch Director (T). 

The shortest path I can see to that is FASC (T), which has as a prereq only MSA.  Then all you need for Fam/Prep to become a trainee is ICS100,200,700 and 800...

SARDOC

Quote from: JeffDG on December 05, 2011, 12:25:54 PM
The shortest path I can see to that is FASC (T), which has as a prereq only MSA.  Then all you need for Fam/Prep to become a trainee is ICS100,200,700 and 800...

The Shortest Path to What??  IC3 requires Operations Section Chief.   FASC is kind of a dead end as far as ES progression.

Airborne Medic

I'm just asking what it takes to become an incident commander trainee.  I dont even know what a FASC is.

Eclipse

FASC = Finance Admin Section Chief.

The short answer is 3-5 years of fairly active service in ES.

You need to start out with an aircrew and ground rating, work your way up through the various sections, and be approved as a trainee by the Wing CC.
Most

You can shortcut the process somewhat by attending the NESA ICSS (base staff school), but if you aren't a visible presence at missions and other ES activities, the odds of getting approved by a Wing CC as an IC(T) (or even recommended by the DO are fairly slim.

There also might be some confusion on your part.  Are you talking about the Basic SAR Management Course that is offered by the AFRCC in various wings?  If so, there is no requirement that you be anything, specifically, to participate. 

Even if you're talking about Inland SAR, you don't have to be any rating, specifically, but preference for the limited seating goes to IC's and trainees.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: SARDOC on December 06, 2011, 02:42:28 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on December 05, 2011, 12:25:54 PM

The Shortest Path to What??  IC3 requires Operations Section Chief.   FASC is kind of a dead end as far as ES progression.
The ISPC requires you to be an IC trainee, a Section Chief trainee or a Branch Director trainee at least.  FASC is the shortest path to becoming a SC trainee.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on December 06, 2011, 03:31:49 PM
The ISPC requires you to be an IC trainee, a Section Chief trainee or a Branch Director trainee at least.  FASC is the shortest path to becoming a SC trainee.

No, it doesn't.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1175/kw/inland%20sar

Who should attend the Inland SAR Planner Course?
Inland SAR Planner Course is a five-day course conducted by the staff of the National Search and Rescue School to enhance the professionalism of Civil Air Patrol incident commanders and staff. The curriculum includes all aspects of organization, planning, communications and operations involving inland search and rescue.

All operationally oriented senior members may apply, but preference will be given to current incident commanders or trainees. Additionally, if a member has attended previously, but not recently (within the last three to four years), then he or she can attend as a refresher. Preference will be given to personnel who have not attended before.

"That Others May Zoom"

Larry Mangum

Attending the NESA ICSS basic, or intermediate courses will not get you to IC trainee status unless you have already earned quite a few ratings before you arrive. Our goal is not to take a person with zero experience or ratings and turn them into IC's. That just is not possible. What a student will ge tout of those two courses are exposure to the various staff position and possibly several low level ratings. 

In the advance course we do provide training for IC trainee's,  if their wing commander, in writing has requested that we train the member as an IC and they have the required ratings and prerequisites accomplished before they arrive.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2011, 03:33:53 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on December 06, 2011, 03:31:49 PM

No, it doesn't.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1175/kw/inland%20sar

Who should attend the Inland SAR Planner Course?
Inland SAR Planner Course is a five-day course conducted by the staff of the National Search and Rescue School to enhance the professionalism of Civil Air Patrol incident commanders and staff. The curriculum includes all aspects of organization, planning, communications and operations involving inland search and rescue.

All operationally oriented senior members may apply, but preference will be given to current incident commanders or trainees. Additionally, if a member has attended previously, but not recently (within the last three to four years), then he or she can attend as a refresher. Preference will be given to personnel who have not attended before.
My apologies.  I noticed on the application is asks (paraphrasing) "Are you a:  (a)  IC or Trainee, (b) Section Chief or trainee, (c) Branch Director or trainee"

I stand corrected.