National Board Uniform Changes 2013

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 16, 2013, 08:26:12 PM

A.Member

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 17, 2013, 03:23:38 PM
Still no explanation as to why wearing camouflage makes any sense.  Did we ever decide who we were hiding from?
No explanation was needed for most members.  Didn't realize there were any members that were confused about our relationship with the U.S. Air Force. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

billford1

I recently attended Region Staff College. I wore the aviator shirt and polo uniforms, and was pleased with the way we were treated by the Military uniformed personnel. One thing I was told is that the AF would like to see CAP uniforms include a cover. I'll be interested to see what if any policy changes there are.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: billford1 on August 17, 2013, 05:07:09 PM
I recently attended Region Staff College. I wore the aviator shirt and polo uniforms, and was pleased by the way we were treated by the Military uniformed personnel. One thing I was told is that the AF would like to see CAP uniforms include a cover. I'll be interested to see what if any policy changes there are

I don't know how many others are in the same boat, but I can't wear a uniform that doesn't include a cap or hat. Besides the long-ago "cadet days mindset," I also take a medication that demands minimizing exposure to the sun. Add that to a receding hair line that is rapidly advancing on a growing thin spot (OK, bald patch) and the results are not kind. And, no, SPF whatever isn't the answer.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 17, 2013, 06:05:31 PM
I recently attended Region Staff College. I wore the aviator shirt and polo uniforms, and was pleased by the way we were treated by the Military uniformed personnel. One thing I was told is that the AF would like to see CAP uniforms include a cover. I'll be interested to see what if any policy changes there are

I don't know how many others are in the same boat, but I can't wear a uniform that doesn't include a cap or hat. Besides the long-ago "cadet days mindset," I also take a medication that demands minimizing exposure to the sun. Add that to a receding hair line that is rapidly advancing on a growing thin spot (OK, bald patch) and the results are not kind. And, no, SPF whatever isn't the answer.

There is no CAP uniform prohibits the wear of headgear.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2013, 06:12:20 PM

Mess Dress.  ;D

Quote from: A.Member on August 17, 2013, 04:43:34 PM
Still no explanation as to why wearing camouflage makes any sense.  Did we ever decide who we were hiding from?
No explanation was needed for most members.  Didn't realize there were any members that were confused about our relationship with the U.S. Air Force.

I was thinking earlier what a certain former member here thinks of all this. His initials are RM.  ;)
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

abdsp51

Semi formal as well for cadets, does not require or allow for a piece of headgear.

Eclipse

Not required and prohibited are not the same thing.  Mess Dress allows for the wear of headgear in the winter, as least as far as the AFIs are concerned
last time I read them.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2013, 06:26:41 PM
Not required and prohibited are not the same thing.  Mess Dress allows for the wear of headgear in the winter, as least as far as the AFIs are concerned
last time I read them.

Me thinks that sun exposure on Bernie's head in the winter is the *least* of his worries! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ProdigalJim

Am I the only one who is NOT excited about the overseas patch on the right shoulder? I have a feeling I'm in the minority with the "less is more" approach Ma Blue presently prescribes, but I think if and when this happens I'll stick to tapes, wings and GT badge.

And...was there any mention of outerwear besides the GoreTex? The fleece is a darn nice alternative for all but the coldest months IMHO.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Hawk200

I'll skip the "who are we hiding from?" dead and completely mutilated horse, and simply ask this: Who do you think you could actually hide from wearing that uniform?

Part of the reason the AF needs to get rid of the ABU is that it doesn't work. Probably dreaming, but would be nice if they'd make part of the uniform program.

I hope they allow us the wear of the ripstop uniforms, too. Provided they're AF legal ones. I know they have them, they were issuing them to troops in Iraq.

Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 17, 2013, 07:05:41 PM
Am I the only one who is NOT excited about the overseas patch on the right shoulder?
I'm not. Left shoulder I'd be OK with, not impressed with the right shoulder. Got no problem with a left shoulder "CAP" patch, and the right kept slick, it was probably too much as it was.

arajca

Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 17, 2013, 07:05:41 PM
Am I the only one who is NOT excited about the overseas patch on the right shoulder? I have a feeling I'm in the minority with the "less is more" approach Ma Blue presently prescribes, but I think if and when this happens I'll stick to tapes, wings and GT badge.
The pocket patches are planned to be optional. Just don't wear them. They were put on to show the AF where and what CAP'd like to have authorized. Reportedly, the AF asked for more patches for CAP.

QuoteAnd...was there any mention of outerwear besides the GoreTex? The fleece is a darn nice alternative for all but the coldest months IMHO.
The ABU request will cover the entire ABU kit, including all outerwear and accessories, except boots and t-shirts. Per Susie Parker.

adamblank

It would mainly be nice to get the fleece to wear.
Adam Brandao

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2013, 06:12:20 PM

So, what would I wear with the polo shirt, blazer and aviator shirt uniforms?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 17, 2013, 07:22:08 PM

A ball cap, or pretty much anything else you want except a flight cap.

But do you normally wear a hat with a blazer or a dress shirt in your "civilian" life, say to a wedding?

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2013, 07:26:54 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 17, 2013, 07:22:08 PM

A ball cap, or pretty much anything else you want except a flight cap.

But do you normally wear a hat with a blazer or a dress shirt in your "civilian" life, say to a wedding?

So, I can wear a mariachi-type sombrero, then? Or a (gasp) beret?

And, as to wearing hats/caps in "civilian" life, uh, yes, I do, as a matter of fact. Usually a fedora of some sort, whether Panama or felt. Or a "Tilley" hat. Like I said, I need to keep covered.

billford1

There's one ball cap for the AFSOC that looks great. If the same supplier did one like that for "Air Force Auxillary" it might be worth buying for the aviator uniform. Who knows it might look good enough that they would authorize it. Hopefully they wouldn't want it in grey.  ;D
http://www.zazzle.com/air_force_special_operations_command_mesh_hat-148340600789494947
If not they might like this one.
http://www.zazzle.com/usaf_civil_air_patrol_cap_auxilliary_hat-148727013756654511

ironputts

I wasnt around when the pickle suit transition occurred. I was active duty and already had many BDUs and just changed some for CAP. Any chance the Air Force will provide this uniform for the cadets? Without help someone is going to pay.... I think this question will add a few more pages to this!
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Once it goes live...new cadets will be instructed to get ABUs. Simple.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 17, 2013, 07:41:02 PM
So, I can wear a mariachi-type sombrero, then? Or a (gasp) beret?

And, as to wearing hats/caps in "civilian" life, uh, yes, I do, as a matter of fact. Usually a fedora of some sort, whether Panama or felt. Or a "Tilley" hat. Like I said, I need to keep covered.

The wear that / those.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: ironputts on August 17, 2013, 08:25:57 PM
I wasnt around when the pickle suit transition occurred. I was active duty and already had many BDUs and just changed some for CAP. Any chance the Air Force will provide this uniform for the cadets? Without help someone is going to pay.... I think this question will add a few more pages to this!

Have your wing commander or cap-USAF person be proactive with any local AF base or unit about getting ABU's.

I know WIWAD every airman that got out before the end of their contract was forced to hand over all uniforms including ABUs. With the massive draw down that the AF Is calling for, the local units may (key word here may) have a flood of uniforms. It does not hurt to ask. I got my first set of ABU's in 07 while on AD so there should be ample supply.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC