Shoulder Cord for GPA

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, January 23, 2019, 06:42:09 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I've heard that there is a cord cadets can wear if they have above a certain GPA in school. Is that true?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on January 23, 2019, 06:42:09 PM
I've heard that there is a cord cadets can wear if they have above a certain GPA in school. Is that true?

Yes, if it's awarded the criteria is local, and there's usually a supplement or OI, etc., that indicates
requirements, ask at your unit, or possibly your Wing's CAC.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

A Wing Commander could authorize this with a supplement; however, this is not a National-level thing.

For example, OHWG does not authorize a cord for GPA.

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 23, 2019, 06:48:25 PM
A Wing Commander could authorize this with a supplement; however, this is not a National-level thing.

How would one propose such a thing as a cadet?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

jeders

Quote from: Color Guard Rifleman on January 23, 2019, 07:09:54 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 23, 2019, 06:48:25 PM

How would one propose such a thing as a cadet?

The best way is to take the idea to your squadron's Cadet Advisory Council representative and ask them to submit it through the CAC. If your squadron doesn't have a CAC rep, then now is a great time to get involved.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

i_am_a_politician

If it does not exist in your wing, group, or even squadron, the best channel is through CAC.  Remember that something like that may be authorized in OHWG, but if you go somewhere like NVWG, it will not be authorized to wear it and must take it off.
1st Lt Politician

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: i_am_a_politician on January 23, 2019, 07:28:25 PM
If it does not exist in your wing, group, or even squadron, the best channel is through CAC.  Remember that something like that may be authorized in OHWG, but if you go somewhere like NVWG, it will not be authorized to wear it and must take it off.

Not to divert the topic too much...

How would we consider that playing out at, say, a Region Conference?

If Wing A permits it, but Wing B does not have such a supplement, and Wing B is hosted cadets from Wing A, can the cadets from Wing A wear the cord? This could be applicable to wearing Blues at Encampment as well.

You're still technically a cadet in that Wing, per your membership affiliation. So if the supplement does not say "Within the Wing only" or some variation.... You see what I'm asking at this point.

Eclipse

Home rule wins for those members from that Wing.

Blues at encampment?

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 24, 2019, 12:33:07 AM

If Wing A permits it, but Wing B does not have such a supplement, and Wing B is hosted cadets from Wing A, can the cadets from Wing A wear the cord? This could be applicable to wearing Blues at Encampment as well.

You're still technically a cadet in that Wing, per your membership affiliation. So if the supplement does not say "Within the Wing only" or some variation.... You see what I'm asking at this point.

Regardless of what a supplement says, the uniform manual specifically states:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 (9.4)

Wing/region approved items will be worn only within the boundaries of the authorizing commander.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: baronet68 on January 24, 2019, 12:56:22 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 24, 2019, 12:33:07 AM

Regardless of what a supplement says, the uniform manual specifically states:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 (9.4)

Wing/region approved items will be worn only within the boundaries of the authorizing commander.

Works for me. Kudos.

I knew it was out there somewhere, but I'm laptopping from my actual lap and I'm horrible without a mouse to look it up.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2019, 12:54:54 AM
Blues at encampment?

Uh, yeah...?