Living History Squadron members?

Started by Maj Daniel Sauerwein, June 05, 2013, 05:08:44 AM

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

I am looking to reach out to anyone on CAPTalk who is a member, or knows a member, of the Living History Squadron featured in the Apr-Jun 2012 issue of Volunteer (page 38) to learn a few things.

Where did you go to purchase your uniforms?

Do you participate in events in your respective regions, wings, and squadron areas, given that your members are from across the nation?

As a living historian, I am deeply interested in this unique and wonderful project, as it is a great visual link to our heritage. Thanks for your help on my questions and keep up the great work.
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

Platelet

I would also be VERY CURIOUS.

I had an idea of doing this in Florida a long time ago and think it would be a good idea here in Arkansas.

Timo

MisterCD

If patience is acceptable, the National History Program's new Office of Outreach will be producing guidance to assist folks who wish to get involved with living history/reenacting for CAP. 

TarRiverRat

I am currently attempting to build a WWII CAP living history unit with my squadron and others in the NC Wing.  You can find some items on ebay.  I have talked with some out of the PA Wing and they mostly all use Dickies khaki work clothing with the red epaulets added.  You can also check out WWII impressions and buy their khaki uniforms and add the red epaulets. Mostly CAP members of that time furnished their own uniforms from what they could obtain from commercial sources.  Dickies was in business during WWII and even made uniforms for the military during that time.  You have two options on the patches.  One is the blue disc with white triangle and red three bladed prop which is early war (42-44) and from 1944 to the end of the war they added the rocker on top that had Civil Air Patrol written inside the rocker.  I read in one of the regs from that time period that the epaulets could be attached by snaps or hooks.  This way you could take them off and wash your shirts with out messing up the wool epaulets.  Some today sew them on but some have used snaps and even Velcro.  I would prefer to use the snaps or the hooks and stay away from the Velcro.  Hope this helps.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057