Main Menu

Looking Kenwood Equipment

Started by Angus, April 13, 2009, 05:15:57 PM

Angus

I bought a TK2160 radio recently and just found out that our new narrow band repeaters just came in.  I had the radio programmed with the wide-band freqs at the store I bought it from.  But since the new frequencies are not to be distributed below the wing level, I need to find a way to program this radio.  Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a legitimate copy of programming software and cable?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Eclipse

Your Wing DC should be able to do this - the radio is going to have to be re-certified anyway.

In some cases a waiver can be granted to commercial radio shops if they will sign an NDA.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Talk to the Wing Director of Communications.

As a matter of fact, I was also looking at the same radio to buy.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Angus

I did and we don't have the materials.  hence my asking here.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Angus

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2009, 05:22:42 PM
Your Wing DC should be able to do this - the radio is going to have to be re-certified anyway.

In some cases a waiver can be granted to commercial radio shops if they will sign an NDA.

I know that's possible for the Wide band but is it also for Narrow band?
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

cap235629

Quote from: Black Angus on April 13, 2009, 05:28:36 PM

Yes, we can release the frequencies to a radio shop with a NDA but we do not trust our own membership with this "TOP SECRET" information.  What's next, ABU pattern diapers?

And for what it's worth, If I OWN MY RADIO, IT IS MY PROPERTY, how do you justify me not knowing what is programmed into my personal property.  This line of thought is asinine, we would be better off not allowing personally owned equipment at all rather than this insulting situation.

Sorry to Hijack the thread, now that I have vented, back to OT
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on April 13, 2009, 05:33:28 PM
Quote from: Black Angus on April 13, 2009, 05:28:36 PM

Yes, we can release the frequencies to a radio shop with a NDA but we do not trust our own membership with this "TOP SECRET" information.  What's next, ABU pattern diapers?

And for what it's worth, If I OWN MY RADIO, IT IS MY PROPERTY, how do you justify me not knowing what is programmed into my personal property.  This line of thought is asinine, we would be better off not allowing personally owned equipment at all rather than this insulting situation.

The frequencies, repeater tones, channels plans, etc., are not "secret" and are fully available to all members, especially those who are involved in comms or have radio equipment.  Being FOUO means you're only supposed to release them to people who need to know.  Members need to know.  Just...ask.

As to a radio being "your property", yes, it is...until its been licensed for CAP use, in which case the waters get a little muddier.  In fact, in some states you actually since a lease document indicating that the radio can be redeployed to someone else during mission operations at the discretion of the CUL.  Before you start whining, no one makes you sign that, and if you don't want that to happen, leave it t home. (It is rare, but it happens, especially with hand-helds).

"Well, fine...then I just won't bring out my radio at the mission base.  I'll wait until I get into the field to pull it out!"
Except that doesn't fly because all radio equipment used in a mission is supposed to be checked in at the base with the
CUL.  The fact that we don't do this universally doesn't change that.

In order to be licensed, a radio has to be certified by a CAP licensing officer.  If you have the capability of programming your own radio, excellent!  Do it and then take it in for certification.  If you can't, then you are at the mercy of the rules.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

I am the unit communications officer and have been told by my wing DC (whom I might add is a personal friend) that I do not have the need to know.  We have almost completed the transition and I was asking questions in anticipation of member questions.  I applaud his integrity and have respectfully asked for clarification.

He is also on the national communications "team" or whatever it is called and I hope that this is all just a speedbump inherent to the transition.

Will keep you posted but I was venting my frustration on lack of thought into the transition process.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JoeTomasone

I can't speak for everywhere, but here in FLWG you have to be designated a "trusted agent" and sign an NDA of sorts that basically says you will not disclose the frequencies anywhere without Wing/DC permission.

arajca

The wing DC can release the information to members, however, unless you have the capability to program compliant radios, they generally will not.

To release the information to non-members, the DC has to submit a request for permission to National.

Check with your DC to see is they have received permission to release the freqs to any outside shops. If, contact the shop to get your radio programmed.

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 13, 2009, 08:20:55 PM
I can't speak for everywhere, but here in FLWG you have to be designated a "trusted agent" and sign an NDA of sorts that basically says you will not disclose the frequencies anywhere without Wing/DC permission

Which would be fine if that information was only available through a secure channel via your Wing's DC, however while not "public knowledge" per se, its readily available - for starters from other wings.  The FOUO rules apply outside of CAP, not between members who need the info, and members from other states aren't bound by FLWG policies.  Why do people go out of their way to make their lives difficult?

Also, its not like you couldn't just write these things down once you get your hands on a radio.  I have no need or interest for this information - its of no use to me whatsoever - I turn my radios into the comm guys and get them back done, even my personally owned equipment.  When I need to I change the channel as directed.  But if I needed it or was interested in it, its not supposed to be restricted from me.

We all agree to the OPSEC NDA as part of our ES training, and that's the reason we have the radios to start with, so we're all trusted agents anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Black Angus on April 13, 2009, 05:15:57 PM
I bought a TK2160 radio recently and just found out that our new narrow band repeaters just came in.  I had the radio programmed with the wide-band freqs at the store I bought it from.  But since the new frequencies are not to be distributed below the wing level, I need to find a way to program this radio.  Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a legitimate copy of programming software and cable?

The cable model number is KPG-22, and you can pick it up for a little over $20 on ebay.
The software is KPG-82DK, and be prepraed to shell out $70 to $100.  Check AMEradio, they're usually cheapest.

I checked my usual source and couldn't find a pirate of the software.