Main Menu

GTL Comm Kit

Started by arajca, June 05, 2008, 02:55:46 AM

arajca

Now for something completely different...

I am putting together a GTL Communications Kit for the Alert/Duty/Primary GTL in my unit. This position will rotate amoung the GTL's once we have sufficient numbers (one now, two in training). This kit will contain:
1 - VX-800 VHF-FM handheld w/ charger
1 - EFJ Mobile w/cigarette lighter power cord adapter and mag mount antenna
5 - Intra Squad Radios
1 - Lil' Elper w/ case
1 - Equipment case
1 - VXA-220 VHF-AM handheld with charger
1 - cell phone

Except for the phone and VHF-AM radio, my unit already has the equipment. I am proposing to the Finance Committee that we purchase the VHF-AM radio (under $200) since we have the funds. My commander supports the purchase. I'm still looking for a cellphone contract/set up that will work without costing an arm and a leg. The kit will be assigned the unit's call sign so that the wing alerting officer or IC will not have to remember a different call sign or cell phone number when they call.

Except for the VHF-AM being a handheld radio instead of a mobile (~$1000), this meets the ToA for a non-stressed GTL. As far as I know, no one else in my wing has done this, so we're going to see how well it works.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what were your results/issues/problems?

JoeTomasone

I have essentially the same setup as a UDFTL, minus the airband radio.  One thing I would suggest is that you carefully consider the cigarette lighter plug on the Johnson as it draws a fair amount of current.   Make sure that the lighter plug in question can handle at least 15 amps.   Many "power outlets" can; many "lighter plugs" cannot.    Mine complains about low voltage when the vehicle is at idle if I use any type of multi-outlet doo-dad to power other devices; YMMV.   You may want to install PowerPoles on the EJF cable and the lighter plug cable so that anyone with issues can run a "PowerPoled" cable from the battery of their vehicle.

Now with the Comm Officer hat on:

The Table of Allowances from the AF authorizes a variation of this kit for each GTL; specifically a VHF mobile, VHF portable, and 6 ISRs.   Your Wing should be providing that to each leader of a properly constituted team (and that means a set team of named individuals who are a certain distance from the next team).   So unless there's some issue there, I'm not sure why you need a rotating kit.

Eclipse

What's the VHF-AM radio for?

Otherwise the list looks pretty complete to me.

Since the majority of your GTL's, I assume, will be adults, I don't see why you need to include a cel phone, heck most kids these days have them too, however you should be able to get a decent local pay-as-you-go plan, as long as someone keeps an eye on the minutes so they don't expire.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

You don't need a new cell if everyone already has their own. 

Use one of the various internet services available, for instance my company uses one for the on call electrician.  We have a phone number that we pay like $10 a month for and we can have that phone ring any phones of our choosing.  We set it up to ring the primary and secondary (should the primary not answer) on call's.

There are free services available that will do the same thing you just have to look. 
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on June 05, 2008, 02:55:46 AM
Now for something completely different...

I am putting together a GTL Communications Kit for the Alert/Duty/Primary GTL in my unit. This position will rotate amoung the GTL's once we have sufficient numbers (one now, two in training). This kit will contain:
1 - VX-800 VHF-FM handheld w/ charger
1 - EFJ Mobile w/cigarette lighter power cord adapter and mag mount antenna
5 - Intra Squad Radios
1 - Lil' Elper w/ case
1 - Equipment case
1 - VXA-220 VHF-AM handheld with charger
1 - cell phone

Except for the phone and VHF-AM radio, my unit already has the equipment. I am proposing to the Finance Committee that we purchase the VHF-AM radio (under $200) since we have the funds. My commander supports the purchase. I'm still looking for a cellphone contract/set up that will work without costing an arm and a leg. The kit will be assigned the unit's call sign so that the wing alerting officer or IC will not have to remember a different call sign or cell phone number when they call.

Except for the VHF-AM being a handheld radio instead of a mobile (~$1000), this meets the ToA for a non-stressed GTL. As far as I know, no one else in my wing has done this, so we're going to see how well it works.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what were your results/issues/problems?

I would suggest a GPS unit and a FRS radio (or combine them in Garmin Rhino).  This would allow you to contact missing people who may be on a FRS frequency.  The GPS is self explanitory.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Yeah, the GPS is a must, good catch.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2008, 03:03:21 AM

Contact with aircraft that don't have CAP FM radios on them.

IceNine

You may also consider an inverter, and a way to plug all of these portables and such in (powerstrips, multi plug adapters)

I did this for an old unit of mine.  The biggest problem we had was that there will be times more often that not probably where the equipment will not have been recharged,replenished, etc by the last guy.  So make sure you make a check out and check in list so there is no confusion as to what needs to be done everytime it is used, and more importantly what should be in the thing at start and finish
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

billford1

Something that has made a big difference for us is the addition of a law enforcement style speaker microphone to our EF Johnson 51XX radios. You can keep the radio secured, and have the microphone and speaker where it is easier to hear and manage the radio.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 05, 2008, 03:11:29 AM

Our aircraft or other aircraft?

I don't believe the average Joe is allowed to xmit on an av radio, are they?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2008, 03:28:13 AM

Both...while we don't have a lot of personal owned aircraft flying CAP missions...the are still authorised with wing/regional approval IIRC.  We also work with other agencies that may not have the same FM radios in their aircraft.  Also it provides back up to the FM radios.

In a pinch they can also be used to help DF an elt.

arajca

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 05, 2008, 03:03:21 AM

I have essentially the same setup as a UDFTL, minus the airband radio.  One thing I would suggest is that you carefully consider the cigarette lighter plug on the Johnson as it draws a fair amount of current.   Make sure that the lighter plug in question can handle at least 15 amps.   Many "power outlets" can; many "lighter plugs" cannot.    Mine complains about low voltage when the vehicle is at idle if I use any type of multi-outlet doo-dad to power other devices; YMMV.   You may want to install PowerPoles on the EJF cable and the lighter plug cable so that anyone with issues can run a "PowerPoled" cable from the battery of their vehicle.
Adding powerpoles would require a separate adapter since policies prohibit removing the weatherpack connector that comes attached to the radio. Also, no one in my unit, except for me, has any idea what powerpoles are. None are hams.

On the plugs, I have found that the typical power outlet only handles three-five amps, while lighter sockets handle 15 - 20 amps.

QuoteNow with the Comm Officer hat on:

The Table of Allowances from the AF authorizes a variation of this kit for each GTL; specifically a VHF mobile, VHF portable, and 6 ISRs.   Your Wing should be providing that to each leader of a properly constituted team (and that means a set team of named individuals who are a certain distance from the next team).   So unless there's some issue there, I'm not sure why you need a rotating kit.
We are standing up two full ground teams and trying for a third from my unit. The idea is to have each team on-call on a rotating schedule, with other teams available if needed.

So far, the EFJ mobiles are flowing down, but the portables are not coming down from National. We currently have two VHF-FM portables, both VX-800's, that are grandfathered in.

I used the ToA to put this kit together. If it works, we may request additional radios for other GTL's in the unit.

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on June 05, 2008, 03:40:27 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2008, 03:28:13 AM

Both...while we don't have a lot of personal owned aircraft flying CAP missions...the are still authorised with wing/regional approval IIRC.  We also work with other agencies that may not have the same FM radios in their aircraft.  Also it provides back up to the FM radios.

In a pinch they can also be used to help DF an elt.
You also have to deal with aircrews who turn down - or off - the vhf-fm radio's. All to common a practice from what I have seen.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: arajca on June 05, 2008, 04:55:53 AM

Adding powerpoles would require a separate adapter since policies prohibit removing the weatherpack connector that comes attached to the radio. Also, no one in my unit, except for me, has any idea what powerpoles are. None are hams.

No - not at the radio end, at the bare-wire end.   So you have a PP, the two massive loops of cable, the Johnson plug.   On the radio is the other half of the Johnson plug.

Now you make a lighter plug to PP cable.   For those with inadequate internal power, a battery/PP run.

Quote from: arajca on June 05, 2008, 04:55:53 AM
On the plugs, I have found that the typical power outlet only handles three-five amps, while lighter sockets handle 15 - 20 amps.

I'd found it to be somewhat different on the small sample I'd looked at.  Like anything, YMMV.

Duke Dillio

I would respectfully add the following item to the kit.  I think it's great but I am sure that many might not like this:

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=viewitem&item=3091

It's an antenna that breaks down rapidly and can be carried by ground teams.  Our squadron has one and the price really isn't all that bad.  The antenna worked pretty darn well during our last field exercise.  Just thought I'd point this one out to you.  I seem to recall lots of places in Colorado that had dead spots.  This might have done the trick for my ground team when I was there.

davedove

I don't see why you need to include a cel phone,

Quote from: IceNine on June 05, 2008, 03:05:11 AM

How about so that the individual members don't have to use their own phone for missions if they don't want to?  You know, save their minutes for personal use.

Plus, if you keep the same phone in the kit, that way you only need to keep track of one number, no matter who has the kit.

Of course, for most people having a phone in the kit would mean that the GTL was carrying two phones around. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Al Sayre

You can buy a tracfone for $10.00 on sale and a years worth of service and 400 minutes for around $100.  If you don't use the minutes, they roll over forever as long as you keep the service.  Even a cheap phone from most services will run you $15.00/month and you won't get many minutes for that.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MIKE

^ And when the network was upgraded in my area, they sent me a free phone to replace the old one.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: davedove on June 05, 2008, 03:44:57 PM

How about so that the individual members don't have to use their own phone for missions if they don't want to?  You know, save their minutes for personal use.t people having a phone in the kit would mean that the GTL was carrying two phones around.

Cell phones are so cheap these days that this is a non-issue for the vast majority of members, especially the members with flexibility to actually respond to missions.

Anyone who has spent 10 minutes negotiating their cel service has unlimited nights and weekends, which is when the majority of our missions occur.

Not to mention the fact that cellular use is reimbursable on funded missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2008, 06:34:31 PM
Quote from: davedove on June 05, 2008, 03:44:57 PM

How about so that the individual members don't have to use their own phone for missions if they don't want to?  You know, save their minutes for personal use.t people having a phone in the kit would mean that the GTL was carrying two phones around.

Cell phones are so cheap these days that this is a non-issue for the vast majority of members, especially the members with flexibility to actually respond to missions.

Anyone who has spent 10 minutes negotiating their cel service has unlimited nights and weekends, which is when the majority of our missions occur.

Not to mention the fact that cellular use is reimbursable on funded missions.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to point out a possible rationale.

Also, by making the phone part of the gear, you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of getting a reimbursement.  The unit would just handle it.  But then, that would take unit funds. ???
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003