Main Menu

Medical Gear

Started by Archer, July 24, 2013, 12:21:41 AM

Archer

Alright, we've all seen the geardos that carry ambulances without the wheels on their backs and we've also see the guys that have nothing but a paper clip and an old Band-Aid wrapper in the little crevice where their boot is coming apart from the sole, so, assuming the person carrying is properly trained on the employment of these systems, what is the "right" amount of medical gear to carry with you into a SAR in your opinions?

whatevah

Considering CAP's limitations on medical care... all you need is a few bandaids, a few 4x4s, an ACE bandage, insect-bite ointment and whatever medications you need on a regular basis (don't forget your inhaler).  Anything more is extra weight you're not allowed to use anyhow.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

PHall

A "Personal" First Aid kit should just about do it. Anything more is a waste of energy to carry it.

Eclipse

From the GUDFTTG:

a) First Aid Kit, stored in zip-lock bag or other waterproof container, recommended that
it consists of the following:
(1) 2 Antiseptic cleansing pads
(2) Antiseptic ointment
(3) 6 Band-Aids, various sizes
(4) Moleskin, 2" X 4"
(5) Roller bandage
(6) 2 Safety pins, large
(7) 4 gauze pads
(8) 1 Triangular Bandage
(9) Tape, first aid
(10) Any personal medication (your team leader should know what you have and
where you carry it.)(T)

From the GTRT:
Personal first aid and hygiene kit: In addition to what is in your personal survival kit it would be a
wise idea to carry extra items to make you more comfortable and healthy in the field. The following
items are recommended:
1. Sterile gauze pads (4" x 4") and roller bandages (3" wide)
2. Two triangular bandages
3. Aspirin, Acetaminophen (Tylenol Ô) or other analgesic
4. Antibiotic Ointment
5. Medical Tape, 1" wide, partial roll. Recommend waterproof tape or athletic tape
6. Povidone-Iodine (Betadine Ô) Prep Pads
7. Travel Razor (Not Electric)
8. Soap - small hotel sized bar, in a plastic bag. Liquid soap in a small squeeze bottle is
also good, but pick one that is not irritating if not rinsed well.
9. Travel Toothbrush and Tooth Paste
10. Tweezers, for splinters - fine sharp points
11. Nail Clippers & File Combination
12. Special or Personal Medication
13. Spare undergarments

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

What I think is best is just to buy a hiker first aid kit you can pick up at a store like REI. We're not the Paramedics, we're not Combat Medics, we're not the Fire Department. We're Civil Air Patrol. If everyone has one, and someone on the team is trained outside of CAP (EMT-B, ALS, Paramedic, etc.) they can carry a more outfitted medical kit with supplies they know how to use.

In most life or death situations, you're doing CPR, applying a tourniquet, or clearing someone's airway. 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time you won't be in one of those situations. You'll be in a cuts and bruises and sprained ankle type of situation. I hope to god CAP isn't dealing with a situation that involves more than CPR.

Most injuries are going to be those involved with CAP members, not an ELT or a pilot. Most injuries are those typical of a hiker hiking through the woods.

Archer

Quote from: AngelWings on July 26, 2013, 09:49:51 PM
What I think is best is just to buy a hiker first aid kit you can pick up at a store like REI. We're not the Paramedics, we're not Combat Medics, we're not the Fire Department. We're Civil Air Patrol. If everyone has one, and someone on the team is trained outside of CAP (EMT-B, ALS, Paramedic, etc.) they can carry a more outfitted medical kit with supplies they know how to use.

In most life or death situations, you're doing CPR, applying a tourniquet, or clearing someone's airway. 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time you won't be in one of those situations. You'll be in a cuts and bruises and sprained ankle type of situation. I hope to god CAP isn't dealing with a situation that involves more than CPR.

Most injuries are going to be those involved with CAP members, not an ELT or a pilot. Most injuries are those typical of a hiker hiking through the woods.

I guess your answer to this next question will be mostly based off of your interpretation of current regulations to be either

"reasonable first aid" = "basic first aid only"
or
"reasonable first aid" = "whatever you have to do to save lives and prevent human suffering"

but,

assuming everyone is a paramedic with unlimited access to all the gear in the world, what is the right amount of gear for a trained paramedic to carry on a CAP GT?

Eclipse

Quote from: Archer on July 29, 2013, 03:56:22 PM
assuming everyone is a paramedic with unlimited access to all the gear in the world, what is the right amount of gear for a trained paramedic to carry on a CAP GT?

The appropriate gear is a basic first aid kit.

Period.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jaison009

As a NRP (new terminology for Paramedics) what are you going to do other than LOC, Life threats, Circ., Airway, Breathing, Assessment? Nothing. NRPs in a wilderness or austere setting are not going to be doing anything more than basic first aid. The risk of infection is too great and just remember before ALS is started we start with BLS. The most often used items are going to be gloves, Band-Aids, 4 x 4, AAA cream, Mole skin, and a safety pin. All of those are found in any simple cheap basic first aid kit or make your own and put it in a waterproof bag. The right amount of gear? first aid kit and face shield. As a NRP I do not want to be carrying anything besides that. Above all that is extra weight I have to lug around in my pack and it is useless. As a NRP I can't do anything more than basic first aid in a CAP situation anyway so why risk doing something stupid and paying for it later. Always remember LOC, threats, C,A,B, assessment. All of those are basic life support and require no more training than basic first aid. All of these require no more gear than gloves, basic first aid kit, and face shield.

Quote from: AngelWings on July 26, 2013, 09:49:51 PM

I guess your answer to this next question will be mostly based off of your interpretation of current regulations to be either

"reasonable first aid" = "basic first aid only"
or
"reasonable first aid" = "whatever you have to do to save lives and prevent human suffering"

but,

whatevah

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2013, 03:58:14 PM

The appropriate gear is a basic first aid kit.

Period.

Quoted For Truth.  And with that... Lock.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin