Main Menu

New Radio

Started by Angus, June 21, 2012, 01:08:58 PM

Angus

I'm looking at trying to upgrade and get a new handheld radio, I'm currently using a Kenwood.  But I figure I'd like to get something that I can have a few more channels in and one that is also P25 compliant.  I've been trying to get onto the NTC page but for some reason I can't get through to it.  So this is a two part question:

1) Is anyone else having the same trouble with that site?

2) Any suggestions on a good affordable radio that has more than 12 channels and is P25 compliant?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Angus on June 21, 2012, 01:08:58 PM
1) Is anyone else having the same trouble with that site?
They recently changed servers and URL's.  When in doubt, login to eServices and select the Communications link in the "Civil Air Patrol Sites" section at the VERY bottom of the page.
Quote from: Angus on June 21, 2012, 01:08:58 PM
2) Any suggestions on a good affordable radio that has more than 12 channels and is P25 compliant?
Here is a direct link to the P25 compliant radios:
https://comm.capnhq.gov/comm/equipment/digital_summary.cfm
Whether a given radio is "affordable" is open to interpretation.  Some relatively inexpensive radios are expensive to program.  I recommend trying to find local CAP members who might be able to help.  I started with a Motorola XTS-3000 for $300, but I had access to programming resources.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Angus

Thanks.  I think I've found a few good ones that I think would be good for me as the upgraded radio. 

Mods you can close out this topic.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030