Ritualized jet lag, the annual game of Daylight Savings time

Started by Live2Learn, October 07, 2018, 02:40:53 AM

Live2Learn

EMT-83

An hour? Can't say that I've ever noticed, forward or back.

Eclipse

Old news / old assertions.

AFAIC the world should go to UTC across the board, but otherwise it's just Facebook fodder.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 07, 2018, 02:53:30 AM
An hour? Can't say that I've ever noticed, forward or back.

My daughter is autistic, and while she can tell time (oh, boy.. don't miss lunch time.. she'll be there at 12:00:02 to tell you!), her circadian rhythm is very much based on the sun.  Each year as we approach the time changes, her behavior and schedule subtly change to the point where she's either agitated or constantly sleepy.  It starts about 3 weeks before and lasts 2-3 weeks after.

I'd say the same thing: An hour? Who cares?  But man, let me tell you, it throws her schedule & mood, and subsequently the family pattern, right out the window sometimes.

I too vote for UTC across the board. It will take a few years to for people to remember that lunch is 1600 UTC on the east coast, not 1200 Quebec...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

EMT-83

^ Since the symptoms start well before the time change, they're probably related to the natural effects of the changing seasons and not the man-made one.

Live2Learn

Quote from: NIN on October 07, 2018, 01:30:18 PM

I too vote for UTC across the board. It will take a few years to for people to remember that lunch is 1600 UTC on the east coast, not 1200 Quebec...

+1 (with caveats).

I've tried UTC.  It's appealing for its universality.  But, without UTC being the 'norm' constant calc's to covert to local were a PITA.

It's an old debate, for sure.  We can tell how old by the 'oldsters' who say
Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2018, 03:06:11 AM
Old news / old assertions....

What's new is published research to spport nay sayers.   :)

FWIW, the sensible solution (stay with standard time) seems to be gaining traction in the US and elsewhere.  :) :) :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 07, 2018, 01:58:57 PM
What's new is published research to spport nay sayers.   :)

Most of the studies cited in the article are at least 10 years old.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 07, 2018, 01:53:59 PM
^ Since the symptoms start well before the time change, they're probably related to the natural effects of the changing seasons and not the man-made one.

Oh, totally... They're related to sunrise/sunset, etc.

If its dark/getting dark, she's like "time for bed.."  NVM that its 4:30 on a Saturday in December.

Sometimes its like living with a hibernating animal :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on October 07, 2018, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on October 07, 2018, 01:53:59 PM

Oh, totally... They're related to sunrise/sunset, etc.

If its dark/getting dark, she's like "time for bed.."  NVM that its 4:30 on a Saturday in December.

Sometimes its like living with a hibernating animal :)

She has a "pure" circadian rhythm that isn't affected by man made things like clocks.
Except for lunch time! ;)

NIN

Quote from: PHall on October 07, 2018, 03:18:49 PM
She has a "pure" circadian rhythm that isn't affected by man made things like clocks.

"Pizza!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on October 07, 2018, 03:18:49 PM

Pavlov might take exception to your posited exception.  But, pizza can overcome even science (and our better judgment).  :)

TarRiverRat

Old Indian Saying: 

Only white man can cut an inch off bottom of blanket and sew it on top and think they have a longer blanket.    >:D
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Live2Learn

Quote from: TarRiverRat on October 10, 2018, 11:50:58 PM
Old Indian Saying: 

Only white man can cut an inch off bottom of blanket and sew it on top and think they have a longer blanket.    >:D

Nah, it was a creature of OPEC (with a little help from Nixon & Congress in 1973).

Here's the real reason we ought to just junk the idea (45 years seems long enough to disprove it's worth).

PHall

Daylight savings time was around long before 1973. World War II to be exact...

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on October 11, 2018, 03:39:32 AMDaylight savings time was around long before 1973. World War II to be exact...
Actually, in the US, it goes all the way back to around WWI. DST was adopted in the United States by the Standard Time Act of March 19, 1918, which confirmed the existing standard time zone system and set summer DST to begin on March 31, 1918 (reverting October 27).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Live2Learn

Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2018, 08:45:46 AM
Quote from: PHall on October 11, 2018, 03:39:32 AMDaylight savings time was around long before 1973. World War II to be exact...
Actually, in the US, it goes all the way back to around WWI. DST was adopted in the United States by the Standard Time Act of March 19, 1918, which confirmed the existing standard time zone system and set summer DST to begin on March 31, 1918 (reverting October 27).

And we've yet to learn it ain't such a good deal. 

PHall

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 11, 2018, 07:50:56 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2018, 08:45:46 AM

And we've yet to learn it ain't such a good deal.

Well, you could move to Arizona or Hawaii. Both states don't do Daylight Savings Time.

etodd

When I hear someone say "Fall Back", first thing I think of is "Yes! We can grab some night currency early."  After 6:30 its logging as night. After Spring Forward you have to be out there flying at 10pm.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Anything after Civil Twilight is considered "Night" by the FAA and the Military.
Never mind you still have enough light to read a newspaper...

Live2Learn

Quote from: PHall on October 11, 2018, 10:26:22 PM

Well, you could move to Arizona or Hawaii. Both states don't do Daylight Savings Time.

That's an option.  A better one is to junk the concept of DST in all 50 states.  The benefis were grossly oversold.