Main Menu

FLIGHT SIM

Started by Sarge, July 29, 2008, 05:48:07 AM

Sarge

Our Squadron is looking to get a flight simulation system set up. Not just FS-X on a PC, but a complete system w/ G1000 training and such. We'll use it both for IFR Prof/Training (provided they are FAA approved PCATD type devices) and Cadet Orientation. We may even work out an agreement w/ FBO and flying club to share it, as we do have the facility for it. Does any other Sq do anything similar? Any suggestions for a system? I have seen several systems...your thoughts?

SARGE
SMSgt, USAF/Lt Col, CAP
Fmr Cadet-Mitchell Award 1979
Squadron Commander

IceNine

Quite a number of years ago the local unit met at the FBO, and we had a really nice agreement with them to provide training in their SIM, but CAP had no ownership to the equipment.  We have since lost that agreement.

It would be really nice to get an investment of sorts so that your unit will never lose access to the equipment.  I know I would have used it to help me with some of my issues when I was training.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Sarge

We would solicit the local EAA, FBO and state Aeronautics folks. My vision is to have it as a CAP-wide G1000 training asset, as we have an awesome mission base/learning center here at our HQ. We may also seek other corporate underwriting...

PHall

It would be a really good idea to have the Wing JA look over any agreement you make with the FBO about using your Simulator.
Especially if they plan to charge for it's use.

IceNine

Wouldn't this type of thing be considered a contract and therefore require the wing king signature anyway?

Beyond the obvious hurdles I think you are on the right track
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

FW

Wow!  What a great idea to set up a PCATD Sim for training/proficiency.  Good luck with your efforts.   Not only will it help the membership, it will serve your squadron as a nice recruiting tool.  And, with the right agreements, could be used as a fund/friend raising opportunity.  
Sporty's sells two systems that are relatively affordable.

airdale

Quote... a complete system w/ G1000 training and such. We'll use it both for IFR Prof/Training (provided they are FAA approved PCATD type devices) ...

You'll need to focus a bit.  Last time I checked, which was a couple of years ago, G1000 and PCATD were mutually exclusive.  The people at Elite told me that Garmin would not support simulated GPS hardware (even a 430) so for liability reasons Elite had to stick to larger systems where they could actually buy and install a (supported) Garmin box.  Check, though, as this situation may have changed.

I have an Elite PCATD that I put together off eBay for about $1200.  This includes the cost to build cabinetry for a simulated cockpit and a Cessna seat and rails from Wentworth.  It is in use at our flying club now; I charge 'em $15 per session/unlimited time and get a small return on my investment.

The simulators that use the game interface, like M$FS, X-Plane, and the Garmin G1000 simulator are a totally different breed of cat.  On my PCATD I had to design and build a switch box with active electronics to change the PCATD hardware connections to be game port compatible.  It was a PITA and in the end the game port simulators are nowhere near what the Elite is.

So, re PCATD, watch on eBay.  Particularly with the financial pressure on FBOs, I have to believe Elite systems or even smaller Frasca systems will show up with some regularity.  Re G1000 your best option may be to just set up a dedicated PC with two monitors and a joystick.  The fairly limited (IMHO) "Garmin Experience" can be improved by programming the extra joystick buttons to effect some of the commands that are otherwise available only via the keyboard or mouse.

Pumbaa

Our Squadron is in the process of building a Flight Simulator.  We have completed the Mission Statement, The Integrated Master Plan and Integrated Master Schedule.  We have already started the grant process and have received money towards it.  We are looking at making a motion base for it too.

airdale

(Quoting myself here)
Quote... couple of years ago ... The people at Elite told me that Garmin would not support simulated GPS hardware (even a 430) ... this situation may have changed.

Just back from Oshkosh.  Elite will have a 430 in the PCATD simulator.  Release date is targeted for November 1.  Unfortunately you have to buy a special box to add to your radio stack.  The box is blind but has all the knobs and buttons.  The on-screen 430 display has no knobs or buttons.  I did not get any pricing on this.

Re G1000, I tend to think of the G1000 as a 430/530 with lousy flight displays.  Learning the Garmin interface using a 430 is a huge piece of learning to fly with a G1000. So this could be very worthwhile if you can come up with the dough.