How to qualify to fly the glass 182s?

Started by Nomex Maximus, May 02, 2008, 06:07:59 PM

Nomex Maximus

Can someone tell me what I would have to do to get qualified to fly the glass 182s? I have 250 hours TT, 175 PIC, 172 qualified, no high power endorsement and I have had the one day CAP G1000 seminar.

What training do I need?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

bosshawk

For openers, would suggest that you get qualified in a round-guage 182: mostly to get used to the greater horsepower and heavier airplane.  Get a form 5: that qualifies you in another aircraft that CAP uses.  Then suggest that you get the book by a good friend of mine, Max Trescott, that really is the Bible on flying the glass cockpit.  Study it from cover to cover and then look around for a CAP 182T and see if you can get a Check Pilot to give you some dual.

BTW: if you don't live near a 182T, where you can fly it regularly, you likely are wasting your time and money.  I hear from lots who know that you loose the skills unique to the glass cockpit very rapidly if you don't fly it often.

You are a low time pilot and flying the glass is really not for those who don't have a fair amount of experience.  Sure, it is neat and the current hot lick, but if you haven't mastered flying a high performance aircraft and you aren't a mission pilot, you may be putting the cart before the horse.

Take it from someone who has over 2500 hours in high performance airplanes.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jayleswo

To add to the good Colonel's post

CAPR 60-1 para 3-3. You need to accomplish training towards a high performance endorsement per para 3-3a(3) and requirements for G1000 in para 3-3a(7)

3-3. Pilot Aircraft Qualification Requirements. The following qualification requirements must be met to operate the indicated aircraft as PIC on CAP flight activities. Certificate and flight experience requirements do not apply to student pilots under the supervision of a CAP instructor.

a. Single Engine. For single-engine aircraft:
(1) Possess a valid FAA private, commercial, or airline transport pilot certificate including an airplane category and single-engine class rating.
(2) For aircraft with conventional (tail wheel) landing gear, have a minimum of 25 hours PIC (50 hours for DHC-2) time and 50 takeoffs and landings in tail wheel aircraft.
(3) For high performance (per FAR Part 61), fixed landing gear aircraft, the pilot must have a minimum of 100 hours flight experience as a pilot or meet the requirements of paragraphs 3-3a(3)(a) –(c) below. Pilots who meet the 100 hours flight experience minimum and have a high performance aircraft endorsement or previous CAP qualification in high performance aircraft are not required to meet these requirements.
(a) Successfully complete a CAP transition flight training program which will consist of:
1 A minimum of 25 takeoffs and landings which must include 10 takeoffs and landings in a crosswind of 5 knots or greater.
2 Five no-flap landings.
3 A minimum of 5 short field/soft field takeoffs and landing.
4 A minimum of 5 simulated engine failures to a full stop landing at an airport runway.
(b) Satisfactory completion of a CAPF 5 proficiency check administered by a CAP check pilot who has not conducted the transition training.
(c) The pilot must meet all FAA pilot requirements and have a pilot log book endorsement for PIC privileges as PIC for high performance aircraft.

(7) For C182 NAV III (G1000):
(a) CAP factory-trained instructors must check out other CAP instructor pilots before those instructors can teach in the G1000 equipped aircraft. CAP factory-trained instructors will use the full Cessna instructor training syllabus when checking out other CAP instructor pilots. CAP instructors will use the full Cessna FITS transition syllabus and all provided training materials when conducting ground and flight training for CAP pilots. Prior to operating CAP G1000 equipped aircraft as a pilot-in-command, each CAP pilot must receive an
initial CAPF 5 check ride from a factory-trained or CAP designated check pilot who meets all the requirements as a FITS qualified flight instructor IAW the Cessna training syllabus plus meets the following requirement: Non-factory trained check pilots in the C-182T NAV III must have provided a minimum of 15 hours of logbook-documented aircraft instruction in the G1000 equipped aircraft prior to being eligible for designation by the wing/region commander as a G1000 check pilot.
(b) Pilots are required to practice "round dial" emergency maneuvers on G1000 aircraft check rides.
(c) CAP pilots who wish to exercise instrument privileges must receive a CAPF 5 flight evaluation requiring a demonstration of pilot proficiency in all G1000 instrument capabilities.
(d) CAP instrument rated pilots who are current to fly both G1000 equipped aircraft and conventional "round dial" aircraft must accomplish half of the approaches for FAA instrument currency in glass cockpit aircraft and half in "round dial" aircraft.
(e) To remain qualified in a G1000 aircraft, an annual CAPF 5 flight evaluation in a G1000 equipped aircraft is required. The CAP pilot must receive the CAPF 5 check ride from a factory-trained check pilot or a check pilot who has provided at least 15 hours of logbook-documented aircraft instruction in the G1000 aircraft. This check ride will meet the requirements for other aircraft in the same group as specified in table 3-1.
(f) There is no requirement to be C182 "round dial" qualified prior to qualifying in the G1000 equipped aircraft.

No reason I can see as to why you cannot do both concurrently. Get the G1000 Trainer software from Cessna and Max Trescott's book.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Frenchie

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on May 02, 2008, 06:07:59 PM
Can someone tell me what I would have to do to get qualified to fly the glass 182s? I have 250 hours TT, 175 PIC, 172 qualified, no high power endorsement and I have had the one day CAP G1000 seminar.

What training do I need?

Assuming you have a check pilot qualified to give a form 5 ride in the G1000, all you need is a form 5 ride that includes a HP endorsement.

I only have about 200 hrs in 182s, but I disagree that you would benefit from round dial 182 time prior to G1000.  If you want to fly the G1000 Skylane, the best experience you can get towards that end is flying the G1000 Skylane.  You'll just be learning to fly a HP aircraft at the same time you're learning the G1000 interface.

I do agree about the Max Trescott book.  I have it and highly recommend it.

RiverAux

The biggest flight school in our area is moving towards all glass-cockpit for its aircraft. 

Frenchie

Quote from: RiverAux on May 02, 2008, 10:35:23 PM
The biggest flight school in our area is moving towards all glass-cockpit for its aircraft. 

That's probably not a bad move.  The glass cockpit interface was developed with human factors in mind and is a lot more intuitive than round dials.  It just takes a bit of practice to get used to it.  Someone who has aspirations of making a career out of flying would be much better off learning to fly on a G1000.

Aspen Avionics now has a certified PFD that slides right into the middle of a standard 6 pack and I suspect more avionics companies will produce similar products.  As people upgrade their avionics you're going to see more and more PFDs and eventually round dials will be delegated to only retro aircraft.

Hopefully by next year I'll have an Aspen PFD in my plane.

flynd94

Hmmmm..... I still prefer round dials.  Glass is great but, it will make you extremely lazy/ruin your instrument scan.  Trust me, I fly a plane that is all glass (E145XR) and would prefer to be back in my freight dog days of flying a Chieftain.  Just don't get lazy and, go back fly round dials.  I like to call it classic flying.  I truly love taking out the CAP C182 and, having some fun.  Just can't do that in the 121 world.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Nomex Maximus

A couple of points in passing:

1) Max Trescott was my primary flight instructor.  But I didn't do any glass cockpit stuff with him.

2) The regs specifically state that round dial 182 expereince is not required.

3) I am an avionics software engineer who specializes in FMS and flight displays for airliners and military aircraft.

4) I live 50 miles from a 182 glass.

5) I am signed up for the NESA mission pilot school in July.

So what is needed to get the high power endorsement?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

ßτε

I think it would be best to contact a check pilot for the glass cockpit 182 and discuss with him/her what you need to do. That way you could talk about what specific experience you already have and what more you would need to do.

Frenchie

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on May 03, 2008, 12:14:58 PM
So what is needed to get the high power endorsement?

The high power endorsement is the easiest one to get.  There's a few things you need to learn. 

Torque is much more pronounced which means you get much more left turning tendencies at high power settings.  You should practice go-arounds, which get a bit more exciting with a high powered aircraft.

Engine management becomes more critical with a high powered aircraft.  You'll now have cowl flaps to worry about.  The engine can overheat VERY quickly if not managed correctly.  You don't climb at Vx for very long and not even at Vy if you can climb at faster speeds.  What's nice about the G1000 is it has a built in engine analyzer, so you can monitor the CHT on all 6 cylinders.  Don't allow the CHT on any cylinder to climb past 400.  The red line might say 460, but bad things start to happen after the CHTs get much past 400 for extended lengths of time.  Learn how to use the engine analyzer to lean the engine properly.

Although it's not really related to the HP endorsement, you'll now have a prop control to deal with which you don't have on the 172 (at least most 172s).  So you also have a manifold pressure gauge which you're not used to either.  Do a bit of studying to find out how manifold pressure works before you start flying and it will make more sense during your lessons.