Mission Observer/Scanner Proficiency Flying

Started by ctrossen, April 01, 2008, 06:25:53 PM

ctrossen

Here's something that's been germinating in the back of my mind for a while:

In CAP, we have the concept of Pilot Continuing Training, including the "Profile 7" program, which basically gives pilots with low time, or low recent time, free proficiency flying with an instructor (funded from the wing's appropriated ES/Ops budget). Here in Wisconsin, it's a fairly popular program (as you might guess).

In the same vein, does any wing have a similar program for non-pilot aircrew?

I know there's a whole lot of scanners and observers out there who might be newly qualified, or have been qualified for some time, but haven't had much real "stick" time. Honestly, I didn't really feel comfortable an observer until I had probably 20 or 30 hours sitting right seat (this from an experience GTM/GTL and communciator that had no problems using the DF and the CAP radio in the aircraft). I also know how hard it can be to actually get that valuable observer time if you're not a member of a unit with a CAP aircraft assigned.

So, are theer any formal aircrew proficiency programs in place in other wings? Or is it typically a matter of half begging/half mercenary to get that time?

Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

SJFedor

I'm jealous. My wing doesn't pay for the B12 profile 7s.

I know of no proficiency programs for Observer/Scanner, but I always make a point that, if I'm flying somewhere, I'll grab a crewmember or two to come along and we'll work on some things en route.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Quote from: ctrossen on April 01, 2008, 06:25:53 PM
Here's something that's been germinating in the back of my mind for a while:

In CAP, we have the concept of Pilot Continuing Training, including the "Profile 7" program, which basically gives pilots with low time, or low recent time, free proficiency flying with an instructor (funded from the wing's appropriated ES/Ops budget). Here in Wisconsin, it's a fairly popular program (as you might guess).

In the same vein, does any wing have a similar program for non-pilot aircrew?

Yes - the wing issues a monthly training number for members to fly self-funded missions from the "canned" scenarios in 60-series pubs.

We have had an amazing success with this, utilizing it not only for getting aircrew ramped and staying fresh, but including ground teams in the missions that feature a/g coordination.

We actively encourage our pilots to include other aircrew when they do proficiency time, including performing MS/MO type-functions as practice, mission or no.

At the end of the day, as you say, there is no substitute for cockpit time.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPObserver

CTROSSEN,

If you go to this link: http://wawg.cap.gov/members/training/ 

You may find something that will help you.  Once there click on the WA Wing Aircrew Training Link.  When that page opens you will see a series of links on the left side of the page.  Click on the "Aircrew Classes and Training Aids." link.  Again there will be a series of links on the left side of the page.   Click on the link that says "Observer Program."  This will open up Washington Wing Civil Air Patrol Mission Observer Proficiency Program.  This is a self paced proficiency program for MO's.  It was introduced in WA Wing in 2005.  The program is not designed to be entry level training for someone trying to earn their rating.  Rather, like the name states, it is for the already qualified member who wants to stay proficient at his/her mission skills.  The only thing that the program does not address is glass cockpit.  Hope this helps.