Main Menu

182Q

Started by scooter, March 28, 2008, 03:55:52 AM

scooter

Anyone out there flying the 182Qs with the oversized tires? We just got one of these and I am trying to find the correct tire pressures. The POH doesnt address this neither does the 337.  ??? I'm pretty sure the mains are 35 psi but the nose is still a mystery. Any help/leads appreciated. Thanks

SJFedor

I've flown 182Qs before, but I'm not too sure what oversized tires you're speaking of. Are you in AK or something?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

scooter

No not AK but way out here in high altitude Colorado. The airplane has heavy duty gear on it. I understand the nose gear is from a 206 and the tire is the normal size of the main gear tire on any other 182. The main gear tires are even bigger. It does look like it has tundra tire however. This Q almost sucks for the density altitudes we fly.

SJFedor

Quote from: scooter on March 29, 2008, 03:34:26 AM
No not AK but way out here in high altitude Colorado. The airplane has heavy duty gear on it. I understand the nose gear is from a 206 and the tire is the normal size of the main gear tire on any other 182. The main gear tires are even bigger. It does look like it has tundra tire however. This Q almost sucks for the density altitudes we fly.

Any state with an average field elevation altitude of 5000 or better needs turbocharged aircraft.

Dunno why you guys have tundra tires on there. Maybe someone who makes those decisions in your wing was thinking you guys would be landing on snow covered runways or something.

Ask your Wing LGMA or DO, they'll know.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

scooter

Unfortunately, we had no choice. They sold our turbo and gave us this Q from Idaho.  :'( It is a nice flying airplane but we routinely fly above 12000. This Q is almost as bad as the G8 for mountains flying.

Frenchie

As far as tire pressure goes, I would think you would be justified using the POH values for tire pressure so long as they don't exceed or come close to exceeding the listed maximum values on the sidewall.

It may be quite difficult to find tire pressure specs for over sized tires because people who use them typically run very low tire pressure because they are being used for unimproved airfields.

The manufacturer of the aircraft lists tire pressure values in the POH based on their testing of the aircraft.  It shouldn't matter much that you are using larger tires because the approximate weight and CG of the aircraft hasn't changed.

At your next 100 hr, you may want to consider going back to the original sized tires if you don't need the larger ones because all you're doing is increasing your drag.

scooter

Unfortunately, going back to normal size tires would require another STC. So we are stuck with what we have.  Thanks for your comments.

PHall

Have you looked on the tire manufacturer's web site?

You also might try checking thesidewall of the tires themselves.
Many have the maximum tire pressure on them just like car tires.

scooter

Tried that, no luck. Even asked the maintenance facility that works the airplane. He didn't know but is trying to find the numbers for me.

Al Sayre

Check the airframe logs, the STC that put them on should be at least listed and generally described.  You can then locate the STC holder and contact them for the information.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

scooter

Did not think of that. Thanks.

Tubacap

Question from the ignorant, what is an STC?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

DKruse

Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

Al Sayre

Supplemental Type Certificate:  It is the document(s) that allow changes to a Certified Aircraft, such as engine mods, bigger tires, different prop etc.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SJFedor

I'm curious now. I wanna see pictures of the big tires.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

Trung Si Ma

The STC for the Landes nose fork and Goodyear 8.50 x 6.00 tires on my 172 says to use the same air pressure as the POH requires - i.e. no change from the tiny tires.

There are some pictures at http://www.nl7co.com/Aviation/N12614/

Don
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Flying Pig

Quote from: scooter on March 29, 2008, 06:41:03 PM
Unfortunately, we had no choice. They sold our turbo and gave us this Q from Idaho.  :'( It is a nice flying airplane but we routinely fly above 12000. This Q is almost as bad as the G8 for mountains flying.

What Wing?

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 19, 2008, 09:20:25 PM
Quote from: scooter on March 29, 2008, 06:41:03 PM

What Wing?

Colorado if I'm not mistaken.

scooter

Colorado, correct.