How can my CAP cadet w solo cert from outside get cert. w CAP?

Started by capmama, September 13, 2014, 03:39:59 AM

capmama

Hello everyone, Our son, 16, just earned his Solo Certification from an outside source called The Flight Foundation. His instructor was retired Air Force pilot (25 yrs) and recently retired Jr ROTC Commander (25 yrs). Because he earned this outside of CAP, we've been told his only option to be signed off on CAP Solo is to go to Flight Academy or through the full scholarship application process and basically take the whole training over. I understand he did not learn or fly w a CAP instructor nor fly in a CAP plane, but there has to be an easier way to convert this certification without going back to square one. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

lordmonar

Have your cadet take the log book to a CAP Instructor Pilot.....have him put an endorsement line in the log book to the effect of "certified to for solo" and it is done.

I've had two of my cadets do this over the last two years.....easy pleasey.

Then go into E-services and approve the CAP Solo wings in OPS QUALs
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Here's the specific text from CAPR 60-1:

Quote3-7. Classification of CAP Pilots. CAP pilots may operate a CAP aircraft according to the classification of their experience and skills as follows:
a. CAP Solo Pilot.
(1) Possess a current student pilot certificate with solo endorsements in accordance with 14 CFR Part 61 from a CAP instructor pilot in the make and model aircraft flown.

Your son may have to take a check ride with the CAP instructor, but there's no starting from the beginning. The CAP pilot just needs to do the sign-off, possibly with some skill verification.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

capmama

Thank you so very much. I knew this was mis-information and don't want to say further who or what position it was given from, but the person is very difficult to deal with and often gives outright wrong info. Now the trick will be to proceed. Again, thank you so much.

Flying Pig

I earned my solo outside of CAP in gliders.  It was completely impractical for me to also solo with a CAP glider and instructor.  Actually, not impractical...not even an option.  My civilian solo cert was submitted with the 2a and it was approved.  Of course this was in 1991.  I believe you only need the solo endorsement from a CAP instructor if you want to solo CAP aircraft.   Not just to wear the solo wings.