Field grade officer caps

Started by gklokner, December 21, 2014, 08:22:04 PM

gklokner

Can cadet field grade officers (Majors through colonel) wear the field grade officer cap? Thanks

Eclipse

No.  All cadets, regardless of grade, wear the company grade hat.

"That Others May Zoom"

gklokner

lordmonar

Quote from: gklokner on December 21, 2014, 09:40:46 PM
Why?
Because you can't.  It is not authorized by 39-1.  I'm typing this with my sideways look of "you can't be seriously asking this question".

If you are asking why the Powers that Be have decided to not let cadets wear field grad officer caps.......it is because you are cadets and not field grade officers.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

You would figure that by the time a cadet earns their Earhart Award they would know how to look up stuff in the 39-1. ::)
I guess I figured wrong. :-[

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JC004

It would be silly to have field grade officer service caps for cadets.  I can't even afford to get the upgrade myself at the moment.  Cadet Officers are authorized one type of service cap.  CAPM 39-1 leaves whether to allow service caps for cadets, up to the respective wing command.

MSG Mac

The Cadet's grade is CADET, his Rank within the Cadet grade is Captain, Major, whatever The SM's grade is Major, Lt Col, Colonel.
The Field Grade Service Cap is reserved for members in the grade of Major and above.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

^ Um, no...

A cadet's membership status is "cadet", their grade is whatever their grade is (C/SrA, C/Col, etc.) their "rank"
isn't tracked and is irrelevant, however if it were, it would be their promotion date and/or TIG, and therefore seniority relative
to other cadets of the same grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I had a similar issue with a cadet who, when he made C/2nd Lt, took it upon himself to wear a flight cap with silver braid.

I told him to take it off...he asked why...I said, "first, because you're not entitled to it by regs, and second, because I ordered you to."

I wasn't his favourite person (nor his father's) after that.  Big deal.

He went to the squadron CC, who of course backed me up.

My first squadron also enforced the rule of SMWOG wearing Airman flight caps until the moment your 2nd Lt was pinned (OK, slid) on...I still have issues with SMWOG wearing officer flight caps, though I know many disagree.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

Why?

For the same reason cadet officers wear enlisted flight caps.

Quote from: CyBorg on December 22, 2014, 09:42:50 PM
I still have issues with SMWOG wearing officer flight caps, though I know many disagree.

It's authorized in CAPM 39-1 for those senior members pursuing officer grades. It's also consistent with the Air Force, in which OTS trainees and ROTC cadets wear officer flight caps and service dress coats.

arajca

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 22, 2014, 10:05:31 PM
I still have issues with SMWOG wearing officer flight caps, though I know many disagree.

It's authorized in CAPM 39-1 for those senior members pursuing officer grades. It's also consistent with the Air Force, in which OTS trainees and ROTC cadets wear officer flight caps and service dress coats.
It is now. It wasn't before this iteration of CAPM 39-1.

JC004

Why?

For the same reason cadet officers wear enlisted flight caps.

I agree with it for the reason of the consistency, and because it's a little much to add that much cost to a new member for something they might wear only a very few times.  CAP already has a lot of costs associated with it.  I always support reducing those, when possible.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: arajca on December 22, 2014, 10:49:40 PM

It wasn't prohibited before; it was just not addressed.

arajca

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 23, 2014, 02:17:29 PM

It was not addressed as in "SMWOG will wear the airmen flight cap" but it was addressed in that the term "officer" was defined and only senior member officers would wear the officer flight cap. Combined with the "if it's not in the manual, it's not allowed" rule in the policy section, SMWOG were not authorized to wear the officer flight cap.

As has been commonly commented upon here, the manual was not necessarily clearly written in many cases.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: arajca on December 23, 2014, 03:17:15 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 23, 2014, 02:17:29 PM

It was not addressed as in "SMWOG will wear the airmen flight cap" but it was addressed in that the term "officer" was defined and only senior member officers would wear the officer flight cap. Combined with the "if it's not in the manual, it's not allowed" rule in the policy section, SMWOG were not authorized to wear the officer flight cap.

As has been commonly commented upon here, the manual was not necessarily clearly written in many cases.

And because it wasn't clear, different units followed different rules. Regardless, interpreting the previous manual is unnecessary as it's quite clear now what flight cap is authorized.