Commander's Commendation

Started by AirDX, December 14, 2014, 10:30:25 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2014, 05:00:30 PM
Quote from: Alaric on December 21, 2014, 04:42:27 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 21, 2014, 04:29:09 PM
Well, our current National Commander seems to be willing to take a fresh look at things and update where required.
Maybe it's time for a top to bottom review of the CAP Awards and Decorations program.

Because that's where he should be spending his time, not worrying about silly things like making sure we remain operationally relevant; making sure the task guides get updated (as they are all 8+ years old); enhancing our relationship with the Air Force and other relevant government agencies.  Nope definitely a top to bottom review of CAP Awards and Decorations that's a top priority

That's why there are supposed to be committees assigned by NHQ, and distributed throughout organization to do the heavy lifting
of these decisions and discussions.  With 60,000® members, there should be no detail which is too small to address.

Disclaimer: "60,000 members" is a registered trademark of Civil Air Patrol and may or may not reflect the
actual membership, readiness, or troop strength of the organization as a whole.

10/10, would read again.

PHall

Well, our current National Commander seems to be willing to take a fresh look at things and update where required.
Maybe it's time for a top to bottom review of the CAP Awards and Decorations program.

Because that's where he should be spending his time, not worrying about silly things like making sure we remain operationally relevant; making sure the task guides get updated (as they are all 8+ years old); enhancing our relationship with the Air Force and other relevant government agencies.  Nope definitely a top to bottom review of CAP Awards and Decorations that's a top priority

You have no idea how a Higher Headquarters runs, do you?  Here's a short class for you.

1. The General decides something needs to be done.
2. A Working Committee is assembled by the Chief of Staff. (usually)
3. The Committee then does what needs to be done and develops a list of reccommendations for the General.
4. The General reviews the recommendations and decides which ones, if any, they will use.

This is how the uniform manual revision was done so it's nothing new to CAP.

lordmonar

a)  No one said it was a top priority.  b) Just because the National Commander directs his staff to do a top to bottom reg review...does not mean he is NOT looking into things that keep us operationally relevant...or that our task guides get updated....or enhancing our relationship wit the USAF et al.  c)  For someone who is concerned about CAP NHQ personnel wasting their time....you spend a lot of your time here.....Kettle....let me introduce you to Pot.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Alaric

Quote from: lordmonar on December 21, 2014, 09:31:52 PM

a)  No one said it was a top priority.  b) Just because the National Commander directs his staff to do a top to bottom reg review...does not mean he is NOT looking into things that keep us operationally relevant...or that our task guides get updated....or enhancing our relationship wit the USAF et al.  c)  For someone who is concerned about CAP NHQ personnel wasting their time....you spend a lot of your time here.....Kettle....let me introduce you to Pot.  :)

The only difference of course is that I'm not National Staff nor am I paid  anytime you want to use reason and logic give me a call

lordmonar

Quote from: Alaric on December 21, 2014, 10:10:18 PM

The only difference of course is that I'm not National Staff nor am I paid  anytime you want to use reason and logic give me a call
Why not?   They are always looking for people to staff these things.   Why have you not volunteered your expertise to address national operational relevance tot he operations staff?   That is my point.   Easy to throw stones....harder to put your money (and time) where your mouth is.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on December 21, 2014, 10:19:35 PM
Why not?   They are always looking for people to staff these things. 

Actually, no, they aren't. "Not invented here" and all that.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2014, 11:33:39 PM

Actually, no, they aren't. "Not invented here" and all that.

The Echelons Above Reality are constantly problems to which they can apply their elegant solutions.

JeffDG

Nope...http://capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/staffvacancies/

QuoteThere are no current positions available.

Alaric

Quote from: Alaric on December 21, 2014, 10:10:18 PM

Why not?   They are always looking for people to staff these things.   Why have you not volunteered your expertise to address national operational relevance tot he operations staff?   That is my point.   Easy to throw stones....harder to put your money (and time) where your mouth is.

As a matter of fact, if there is a volunteer position I fully intend to apply however, if you go to the site no positions open, guess they're not dying for help

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/staffvacancies/

lordmonar

There are no TOP positions available.....but if you call up the director of "XYZ" and volunteer your help for project "ABC"....I'm sure that they will take you on.

Alaric

Quote from: lordmonar on December 22, 2014, 08:17:34 AM
There are no TOP positions available.....but if you call up the director of "XYZ" and volunteer your help for project "ABC"....I'm sure that they will take you on.

I'll give that a shot

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on December 22, 2014, 08:17:34 AM

'Cept they keep all the projects Secret Squirrel until they're done coming up with solutions to problems nobody's identified.

James Shaw

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 21, 2014, 03:56:17 PM
flyboy53, I see your POV and I agree with you.

The awards program in CAP varies greatly by which Wing you are in and then who the Wing King/Queen is at the moment. Some are generous and others are not into the bling bling.  8)

This is the same for the National Level as well. As a member of National Staff with the last two National Commanders there was a very distinct difference between the two. The first National Commander I served under made sure that the people that worked for her were recognized and thanked. Not only did my boss at the time put the "paperwork" in for the award but when it was "approved" and if I was not there to physically receive it, it came in the mail, received an email from the Commander and a phone call thanking me for my work.

The last Commander I served under for three years did not do that. There was a lot of work done by all members of the staff and the only one's recognized by the Commander were the directors. If there was anyone else recognized for the National Staff work other than the Director I never heard of it. My boss at the time put in several 120's for their staff and they were turned down completely. Not so much as an COA or Achievement for three years of National Level support. Even on my last stint when I changed National Staff positions there was no acknowledgement for the work, but the Directors were all recognized.

I did however get to see the National Staff Badge go from concept, to approval, and then to wear for the National Staff that qualified. 

So I have to completely agree that there is a difference in the way in which Commanders recognize the hard work and effort.

Whether you are bling or no bling, people appreciate when there work is recognized.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Devil Doc

That's why there are supposed to be committees assigned by NHQ, and distributed throughout organization to do the heavy lifting
of these decisions and discussions.  With 60,000® members, there should be no detail which is too small to address.

Disclaimer: "60,000 members" is a registered trademark of Civil Air Patrol and may or may not reflect the
actual membership, readiness, or troop strength of the organization as a whole.

60,000 Members really equals to 50,000. Out of that 50,00 you have 1/3 that are active, 1/3 on CAP Talk, and 1/3 that show up for Awards Banquets only. So 16,500 Active Members Divided By 50 States+ Roughly 330 people in each state. Out of 330 Active members in each state, you have 3/4 that are cadets. so roughly 82 Senior Members in Each state.

Moderator fix: Missing tag
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Chappie

Quote from: capmando on December 22, 2014, 12:11:04 PM

The awards program in CAP varies greatly by which Wing you are in and then who the Wing King/Queen is at the moment. Some are generous and others are not into the bling bling.  8)

This is the same for the National Level as well. As a member of National Staff with the last two National Commanders there was a very distinct difference between the two. The first National Commander I served under made sure that the people that worked for her were recognized and thanked. Not only did my boss at the time put the "paperwork" in for the award but when it was "approved" and if I was not there to physically receive it, it came in the mail, received an email from the Commander and a phone call thanking me for my work.

The last Commander I served under for three years did not do that. There was a lot of work done by all members of the staff and the only one's recognized by the Commander were the directors. If there was anyone else recognized for the National Staff work other than the Director I never heard of it. My boss at the time put in several 120's for their staff and they were turned down completely. Not so much as an COA or Achievement for three years of National Level support. Even on my last stint when I changed National Staff positions there was no acknowledgement for the work, but the Directors were all recognized.

I did however get to see the National Staff Badge go from concept, to approval, and then to wear for the National Staff that qualified. 

So I have to completely agree that there is a difference in the way in which Commanders recognize the hard work and effort.

Whether you are bling or no bling, people appreciate when there work is recognized.

Awards do vary from wing to wing/region to region/commander to commander.  When I was a Region Chaplain, I made sure that the Wing Chaplains were familiar with the F120 and the pamphlet "Awards Made Easy".  I remember a long-time member in my home squadron (who has since passed but his influence continues) say that those .55 ribbons (at that time) were the only pay check our volunteers receive so make sure they are taken care of.  Sound advice.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

The CyBorg is destroyed

My cynicism is showing again...but, in MY experience, too frequently (and once is too frequently), the "recognition" goes to those who schmooze with the "right" people.  Seen it too many times.

I have had the gamut of experience with how commanders "recognise hard work and effort."

First squadron (composite)
First commander - went on to become Wing CC, then Region staff - generous with praise.
Second commander - former active duty AF (Vietnam vet) - very squared away, kind of cold and prickly, not effusive with praise but gave it when thought warranted.
Third commander - very, very good friend, big-hearted, very rarely failed to put someone in for a ribbon he thought they were due for and did not shirk submitting promotions.

Second squadron (senior)
First commander - former Marine, squared-away on that sort of thing...in fact, I would be a Major (or maybe Lt. Col.) today if he hadn't had to move due to his job.  He was in the process of initiating/endorsing when had to move.
Second commander - cared more about piloting and schmoozing with Wing buds.  That unit cared very little for PD/awards/promotions anyway.  There were a lot of "2nd Lieutenants For Life."

Third squadron (composite)
Commander very good about that sort of thing...in fact, awarded my CommComm (for being stubborn and standing up for my position) and then lost his job for supporting me.

Fourth squadron (cadet/composite)
First commander - really good about that; even when I would say that I felt bad about not being there due to health, always told me "when you ARE here you give 100%."
Second commander - didn't get to know him as he got "kicked upstairs" not long after taking command.
Third commander - nice guy, just didn't connect with him.

Present squadron (composite)
First commander - great guy, gave praise when warranted.
Second commander - seems to be conscientious but, well...I've written on here about awards/promotion issues so I'll leave it at that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: Chappie on December 23, 2014, 09:53:28 PM

Awards do vary from wing to wing/region to region/commander to commander.  When I was a Region Chaplain, I made sure that the Wing Chaplains were familiar with the F120 and the pamphlet "Awards Made Easy".  I remember a long-time member in my home squadron (who has since passed but his influence continues) say that those .55 ribbons (at that time) were the only pay check our volunteers receive so make sure they are taken care of.  Sound advice.

Very good point sir. The person deserves a .55 ribbon make sure they are recognized.  :clap: