Choosing ES qualifications

Started by Sriracha, May 07, 2018, 02:56:02 PM

Sriracha

Hello all!

I've recently been wanting to go for a lot of SQTR quals. I want to be an FLM, GTM, and MRO, but I'd like to go for every qualification I can. I love getting involved in the program and want to be as qualified as possible to make myself a better asset to both the wing and the CAP as a whole.  The problem is, I can't decide on which quals I want to do first. Do any of you have any advice as to what to complete first?

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

arajca

You really can't do everything. Pick a couple that you realistically can do and use. In addition to the ones you listed, add UDF. With FLM, if your wing doesn't use them, don't pursue it.

Talk with your unit ES Officer. They should know what is needed for your unit and wing and where to get the training.

Capmonkey

My suggestion would be to pick a qualification that you are interested and passionate about. I started on UDF, GTM, ie. the normal route. I really wanted to do MRO way earlier, but couldn't because I needed to finish my other quals. Find your passion, and stick with it in ES. Your ES career will flourish because of it!

Eclipse

Get your initial stuff done and then start showing up for training - don't
focus on any one thing until you've tried a few, then see where you have an aptitude
or enjoy the work.

"That Others May Zoom"

BraveRifles19D

Start with Mission Staff Assistant. You get an overall view of how an mission base runs. Do your FEMA courses on your off time. IS 100, 700, 200, 800. You can get line items signed off for MRO when you are working as an MSA as well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Holding Pattern

Have someone pull the list of Skill Evaluators in your squadron. OPS QUALS > REPORTS > SKILL EVALUATORS.

Go after those quals that you know there are SETs in your squadron for. After those are done, start requesting external trainers to get you through the other ones you want.

MSA is IMO one of the most important; with it you can continue to help at a mission base even when weather precludes sorties. Few things are quite as frustrating as being stuck at a mission base not qualified to do anything.

Also as mentioned above, take those FEMA classes and get them out of the way. IS800 has been retooled last month; it is not as boring as it used to be.

Spaceman3750

I'll just throw out that NESA still has slots available and is a great way to get qualifications done.

http://nesa.cap.gov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sriracha

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 07, 2018, 05:11:04 PM
I'll just throw out that NESA still has slots available and is a great way to get qualifications done.

Id love to, but I havent done encampment yet. I am going to our wings GSAR however.

Sriracha

Quote from: BraveRifles19D on May 07, 2018, 04:31:36 PM
Start with Mission Staff Assistant. You get an overall view of how an mission base runs. Do your FEMA courses on your off time. IS 100, 700, 200, 800. You can get line items signed off for MRO when you are working as an MSA as well.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I have all the FEMA courses I can do online  done, but I didn't know I could work on both tasks at once. I know they both require two missions, but can I count one mission for both, or would I still need to do 4 missions total?

LSThiker

Quote from: Sriracha on May 07, 2018, 02:56:02 PM
Hello all!

I've recently been wanting to go for a lot of SQTR quals. I want to be an FLM, GTM, and MRO, but I'd like to go for every qualification I can. I love getting involved in the program and want to be as qualified as possible to make myself a better asset to both the wing and the CAP as a whole.  The problem is, I can't decide on which quals I want to do first. Do any of you have any advice as to what to complete first?

I would recommend talking with your ES Officer or your ES Training Officer.  Not all qualifications are suitable for your particular situation.  You can work on FLM, GTM, and MRO all at the same time.  You do not need to choose one over the other.  At times, I have been to SAREXs expecting to be one thing only to get asked to help in another area.  For example, you may show up at a SAREX expecting to do GTM and they need help with comms, so you can work on MRO.  The next day or the next SAREX, they may need help with GTM.  In other situations, I have worked a particular area and get retasked to help in another.  That is, I was working a SAREX where myself and another were working as Ground Branch Directors.  Half way through the day, they wanted to get an extra ground team out so as to train a GTL-T.  I was asked to go out as a GTL SET and the other guy took over as primary GBD.  Heck, I was at a SAREX expecting to do Aircrew but the ceiling was too low until after lunch.  I was asked to take a ground team out for the morning. 

Also, if your wing never uses a specialty (such as FLM) for missions, then no reason to train as that.  Your unit ES Officer or a truly experienced Cadet/SM can help you, they have a better handle on the situation in the wing or your local area. 

You may also want to take into consideration what evaluators are available to your unit.  Do you have in-house SET evaluators for those specialties?  If not (which is not uncommon), are they in your area?  Or will you need to drive a distance to find an evaluator. 

Sriracha

Quote from: LSThiker on May 07, 2018, 05:38:05 PM
Quote from: Sriracha on May 07, 2018, 02:56:02 PM
Hello all!

I would recommend talking with your ES Officer or your ES Training Officer.  Not all qualifications are suitable for your particular situation.  You can work on FLM, GTM, and MRO all at the same time.  You do not need to choose one over the other.  At times, I have been to SAREXs expecting to be one thing only to get asked to help in another area.  For example, you may show up at a SAREX expecting to do GTM and they need help with comms, so you can work on MRO.  The next day or the next SAREX, they may need help with GTM.  In other situations, I have worked a particular area and get retasked to help in another.  That is, I was working a SAREX where myself and another were working as Ground Branch Directors.  Half way through the day, they wanted to get an extra ground team out so as to train a GTL-T.  I was asked to go out as a GTL SET and the other guy took over as primary GBD.  Heck, I was at a SAREX expecting to do Aircrew but the ceiling was too low until after lunch.  I was asked to take a ground team out for the morning. 

Also, if your wing never uses a specialty (such as FLM) for missions, then no reason to train as that.  Your unit ES Officer or a truly experienced Cadet/SM can help you, they have a better handle on the situation in the wing or your local area. 

You may also want to take into consideration what evaluators are available to your unit.  Do you have in-house SET evaluators for those specialties?  If not (which is not uncommon), are they in your area?  Or will you need to drive a distance to find an evaluator.

Thank you, I was under the impression that I needed to focus on one, and do the others on the side. I do not have any SETs in my current unit, however, I know there are a few nearby squadrons with some, and I could get in touch with them.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Sriracha on May 07, 2018, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 07, 2018, 05:11:04 PM

Id love to, but I havent done encampment yet. I am going to our wings GSAR however.

Encampment is not required to attend, but it is preferred. What I normally tell cadets around here is if you can do encampment and NESA do both, if the choice is encampment OR NESA, go to encampment.

Either way, I would highly recommend going to encampment this summer.