Recruiting Presentation - Monday 21 May 18 2000hrs Eastern

Started by NIN, May 21, 2018, 01:09:12 AM

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on May 22, 2018, 06:41:40 PM
What happened to the effort to normalize the memberships by putting people in proper categories
and removing inactive members from manpower reports?

Define "proper categories"

Define "inactive members"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 22, 2018, 06:41:40 PMWhat happened to the effort to normalize the memberships by putting people in proper categories and removing inactive members from manpower reports?

It's definitely on the front burner, it sounds as though a number of categories are going to get whacked.

etodd

I've been in for a little over 2 1/2 years.  Although we have 35ish dues paying Seniors on the roll, I've never laid eyes on at least a third of them. Not sure why they keep paying dues. I guess folks think they may want to drop back in, when they aren't so busy, but a month turns into a year, and then five years ...
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

RiverAux

Quote from: arajca on May 21, 2018, 01:53:24 PM
National needs to be doing awareness level information. "This is Civil Air Patrol" type stuff. When you spend 20-25 secs of your 30 sec initial contact explaining what CAP is, you've lost the battle.

Well, you're describing more of a public affairs problem than a recruiting problem.  They are, of course, linked to some extent.  However, getting CAP to a point where a significant percentage of the population, both adults and youths, know what CAP is just is not going to happen.  I don't know that its necessary to make a difference in terms of recruiting as that is highly correlated with the existing strength of your local unit (meaning that the better your unit, the more likely it is that you'll grow because people hear you have a good program) OR having one fireball member that goes hardcore with the sort of highly active recruiting program that can turn around a failing unit. 

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on May 22, 2018, 10:10:32 PM
I've been in for a little over 2 1/2 years.  Although we have 35ish dues paying Seniors on the roll, I've never laid eyes on at least a third of them. Not sure why they keep paying dues. I guess folks think they may want to drop back in, when they aren't so busy, but a month turns into a year, and then five years ...
I was "pay, no play" for ten years. There were time and finance issues that precluded active participation. Once those were out of the way, I started active participation, and here I am.

I thought the expense of the annual dues was worth it, as a small way to give back to an organization I had belonged to for about 30 years. It also meant that I wouldn't have to go back to square one, again, when I became active.

We have several folks in my unit who are no longer active, but keep paying those dues. Works for me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on May 22, 2018, 06:48:13 PM
Define "proper categories"

Define "inactive members"

Exactly.  Many people had hoped that the rhetoric on this issue was going to help the situation.

Quote from: SarDragon on May 23, 2018, 12:10:33 AM
We have several folks in my unit who are no longer active, but keep paying those dues. Works for me.

That's fine, but they should not be "active" members, and should not be included in any manpower reports
or press releases that indicate how many members CAP has.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

I would think the "growing" number of senior members are, in some part, due to the growing numbers of non dues paying 50 year (really senior) members.  After 41 years of membership, I'm still somewhat active, but part of my motivation is making it to the magic number 50...   >:D

NIN

There's less 50-year members than you might think.  Not enough to account for the growth.

;)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.