Main Menu

Law Enforcement Officers

Started by Flying Pig, March 25, 2007, 07:46:15 PM

Flying Pig

Are any full time Law Enforcement Officers here involved in CD?  Im wanting to pick your brain.  Have any of you had issues with your departments by doing this.

JohnKachenmeister

When I was a working cop I simply avoided the duty.  The rule was no weapons to be carried by the CAP crew, and as a working cop I always carried my pistol.  While it was not required by the department, the policy of making off-duty carry optional did not relieve an officer under the state law requiring that he take action in any felony case, whether on or off duty.

So, you could go unarmed if you wanted, but if you encountered a felony, you better be badder than Chuck Norris.

I had planned to simply leave my gun in the car before I boarded the plane, but one of the guys who flew the missions a lot said if the feds saw me leave the gun in the car that they would cancel the mission and report it as a violation of CAP regs to the Wing King.

I figured the best thing to do was simply avoid the situation.
Another former CAP officer

DrJbdm

I've submitted the paperwork for approval for the CD missions...but I'm thinking I better go have a talk with my Chief before actually doing anything. I doubt he would have a problem with it, but it's better to ask first.

AlaskanCFI

I avoided them before I retired from active LE work.  The majority of my State time was involved around drug felony cases.  The left-o judges already had a problem with being a successful cop.  Throwing the CAP CD into the mix would have started a big fire.
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com