Main Menu

Injuries

Started by Sgt.Pain, November 17, 2010, 06:23:24 PM

Sgt.Pain

Post your horror stories of accidents and injuries seen in a CAP activity/mission/etc.
C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

Sgt.Pain

A Captain I know lost his index finger in a Cessna Prop during a mission.  :o :o :o
C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

CAPC/officer125

At encampment, we had a cadet (after being reminded several times not to do so) run across ice, slip, fall and get a minor concussion. Nothing that couldn't be treated with...ice. Amazing, an injury caused by ice treated with ice.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

jeders

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on November 17, 2010, 09:34:18 PM
At encampment, we had a cadet (after being reminded several times not to do so) run across ice, slip, fall and get a minor concussion. Nothing that couldn't be treated with...ice. Amazing, an injury caused by ice treated with ice.
At least they didn't have to worry about finding any ice.  :D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

GTM SGT Frazier

At Encampment someone slipped in a puddle and caused a chain reaction of falling in drill.

GTM SGT Frazier

ol'fido

A few years ago at ILWG Summer Encampment, we had a cadet fall during a game of flag football. The heat that week was almost unbearable and the ground had been baked super hard. When this cadet fell he came down on his knee. His patella(knee cap) broke into two parts. Literally. The fracture was right down the middle. The paramedics were amazed!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Ozzy

Ah a few years ago when I was a flight commander at CTWG encampment, one of my cadets fractured her thumb while playing volleyball. And best part was, was that she played volleyball in high school...
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Huey Driver

In 2010 NJWG Basic Encampment, we had several cadets pass out because they didnt know not to have have their knees locked at attention, and it was hot and humid. Also there were several injuries on the leadership reactions courses and physical challange courses. One of our medics got tired of it and just left the encampment.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

nesagsar

At IL Wing color guard comp probably in 2003 or 2004 I lost traction during the run and came straight down on my knees. I declined aid until I finished the run (luckily I was already on the last lap) but there was a pretty good amount of blood when the med-o got to me. I still have some faint scars from it on both knees.

Titan 25

When I was a tiny little basic in '06, I was at a wing drill competition. During an inspection, I passed out. I know... It happens a lot. Especially with basics. The thing is, this time I didn't sleep at all the night before, I didn't eat dinner, I didn't eat breakfast that morning, I just got done with the mile, and then I had to stand at attention for 20 minutes. Of course I was locking my knees without realizing it because I was so fatigued!  :P

I woke up about 5 minutes later (long time) with a cadet colonel looking down at me and still inspecting my uniform. People were all around me putting blankets and coats over me because I was shivering. Things got really serious when I passed back out. They weren't expecting that.  :o

After getting me off the cold hangar floor and calling some paramedics, they brought my limp body into a room with a rug and laid me down. The paramedics got there quick and tried to talk to me, but I don't think I was making sense. I kept passing out.

I woke up for the last time after I don't know how long. I had a little heartbeat clamp on my finger and the paramedics said that it was a good thing I got off that hangar floor because I barely had a heart beat as it was and the cold concrete was sucking the life right out of me. I might have DIED. :-\ That is completely unheard of!

After drinking a nice, sugary coke and laying on the floor for about another twenty minutes, I had recovered enough to not go to the hospital. I went home, happy that I didn't die, but pissed because we didn't win the wing competition.
C/2d Lt Daniel K. Driskill
Flt. Commander
PHANTOM SQUADRONUTAH WING
MEMBER OF THE 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPION ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION DRILL TEAM!!

HGjunkie

That sucks dude.

Wait, the C/Col was inspecting you on the floor?  ::)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

AngelWings

That C/Col seemed to have cared alot.

Ford73Diesel

Off topic, but....

a                                   lot

RWitkowski

During a joint NJ/PA/RI WG SAREX, the ground team I was on was enroute to Wings Airport to look for a practice ELT. Since the team was all NJWG members, we were sort of wandering our way through PA looking for the signal and the airport. We came upon a motor vehicle accident where the driver had blacked out and hit a pole a minute or two before we got to the site. The driver was unconscious, slumped forward in the seat, and bleeding heavily from a laceration in her forehead. We set up a perimeter, redirected traffic, and myself and the team leader administered first aid to the patient until Whitemarsh, PA police and EMS took control of the scene. As far as the patients injuries, there was likely spinal injury from hitting her head on the steering wheel. That plus the bleeding made for some extremely stressful minutes while we waited for police to show up.

Major Lord

While driving back from a CAP activity in a CAP van, I ended up being the first responder in a three car accident with multiple fatalities; Jeep versus Geo, vs Toyota. The only first aid I could do after verifying four dead in the Geo was to hold C-spine and (administer 02) for the jeep driver with a broken back, broken leg, and bleeding spleen. The locals were very confused about who the guy in Cammies and a government vehicle was.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Huey Driver

Quote from: RWitkowski on May 06, 2011, 08:17:20 PM
During a joint NJ/PA/RI WG SAREX, the ground team I was on was enroute to Wings Airport to look for a practice ELT. Since the team was all NJWG members, we were sort of wandering our way through PA looking for the signal and the airport. We came upon a motor vehicle accident where the driver had blacked out and hit a pole a minute or two before we got to the site. The driver was unconscious, slumped forward in the seat, and bleeding heavily from a laceration in her forehead. We set up a perimeter, redirected traffic, and myself and the team leader administered first aid to the patient until Whitemarsh, PA police and EMS took control of the scene. As far as the patients injuries, there was likely spinal injury from hitting her head on the steering wheel. That plus the bleeding made for some extremely stressful minutes while we waited for police to show up.

Did Pineland launch their own ground team or was it a mix of sqaudrons?
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Raja1020

One cadet in "someones" squadron admitted to fake hurting his leg during the mile run so he wouldn't have to do it.

Persona non grata

No integrity then........fail
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........